• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

can someone explain pre op diet?

Mubby

Im new on the bypass journey, and just reading up in advance! and I just reading this section see that people have different diets for the pre op, low carb, milk etc

so do different people have different pre op diets? and what period do you do these diets?

I have not been told anything about this yet!

thanks

I'm pre op diet is a no carbs one, 2 pieces of fish/chicken/eggs with green salad or green veg. 3-4 litres of No added sugar squash/water or oxo cubes and 3peices of fruit!

There seems to be a few diets about just depends on what hospital ur under.

Good luck

Vicky x

Basically there are a number of versions of pre op diets all variations on the theme of high protein low calorie, carb & sugar. The principles are that the liver needs to shrink for your weight loss surgery so the surgeon can complete the op unhindered by a large liver that could get in the way.. On all these diets your liver will go into a process called ketosis & start to metabolise the sugar & fats it has stored hence shrinking in the process. There's more complicated science around it but under medical supervision it is perfectly safe.

hi mubby,
im on a pre op diet of 3 pints of milk and 2x150g of yogurt a day.i had to start it 2 weeks before my op to shrink the liver.
its the preference of the surgeons,different surgeons=different diets.

My hospital gives 5 pre op diet options. And it's for up to 6 weeks. They give it to not only shrink the liver, but for an additional weight loss target (this is just my hospital not others)

I am allowed to change each week to try the other pre op options. I am currently doing VLCD meal replacement. I will be on my pre op for 4 weeks x

Back