• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Can your bypass be a different length?!

EmmaLouise81

Hi,

Recently when reading various items online I noticed some people mention bypass lengths...I assume they meant length of intestine bypassed?

Tried looking for further information but not sure what it all means....I guess I assumed the bypass was a standard length.

How does the surgeon determine this and what difference will it mean to the patient?

Any advice appreciated!

Emma

The surgeon will decide on the length of small intestine that he will bypass depending on your BMI. I only had a BMI of 41 so I talked it over with my surgeon and my bypass is only 70cms. This can make it a tiny bit harder to lose weight (no complaints here) but will ensure that I absorb more nutrients from my food. Most people have bypass length of around 100 - 150cms. Shorter bypasses are called a proximal bypass and longer ones are called a distal bypass. Hope this helps.

In wonder if this has anything to do with why some people dump more than others ? :confused:

hhhhmmm.... very good thread i shall keep a eye on the replies here x

I think the dumping is due to the loss of the valve at the bottom of the stomach that usually controls the speed that food passes from the gut. Undigested food then passes too quickly into the intestine. If that food is too high in carb or fat, the small intestine can't cope with it and causes the symptoms of dumping.

I never got to see my surgeon after my op, but when i see him in April i will ask how long my bypass was. I'm intrigued now !!

I was copied in on the letter the surgeon sent to my G.P. & they bypassed 100cm of intestings.

This is an interesting aspect of the bypass op and I raised it some time ago. Interestingly my BMI was about 42 when I had my op -very similar to Gill's, but I was bypassed 150cm. Yet another detail that different surgeons don't comply with. Having a larger bypass doesn't seem to have stopped me malabsorbing as much as you might think... unfortunately.

im interested in going to bypass if possible from being banded i wont get a decision till i speak to my surgeon next week and i do not know if its possible yet regarding my bmi, i want to be considered as my band is knackered once again and i have just had enough of being "fixed up" and i want a more permanent solution for me, so if they say yes i would be bypassed less length because my bmi is lower ?

Liz, not sure what your BMI is but have you considered the sleeve instead?

From what i've read people with less to lose ( say 6 stone or so ) seem to end up losing a bit more than they actually want to - although i don't know the statistics on this.

i will consider the sleeve yes, im going to discuss all my options next week with the surgeon, he may say no and only offer to fix the band again if thats so then i will accept his decision. i have been advised a bypass would be the best solution for me now over a sleeve x

Good luck , hope you get it resolved whatever is decided - You've been extremely patient x

thankyou Kat im just extremley frustrated after 5 years of keep needing to be fixed, if i hadnt of had all these problems i would of been happy to continue as i am x

im interested in going to bypass if possible from being banded i wont get a decision till i speak to my surgeon next week and i do not know if its possible yet regarding my bmi, i want to be considered as my band is knackered once again and i have just had enough of being "fixed up" and i want a more permanent solution for me, so if they say yes i would be bypassed less length because my bmi is lower ?

Hi Liz, Reading between the lines I suspected that your "arrangement" was to go down the RNY route. I think that is a very good idea, although I am slightly biased in that direction. Combining he RNY with a proximal bypass seems a very good compromise. I wish you luck in getting you situation resolved. xx

hi John and thanks for your reply, i really dont know what they will say to me next week but i will discuss every option that could be possible for me as i want this to be my final time in theatre x

I asked my surgeon this at my check up a while back and he said I am bypassed 2m, he did go into the whole cm's bit but I was more interested in the meters cos it sounds like more lol
Anyway, he said there is mine, which is a good bypass, 100cm I think, he said there is one down from mine which is for people who need to lose less and then one up for people with lots to lose and he said that you would have to be much heavier for him to start considering the higher one. Maybe it is different with each surgeon because my surgeon certainly wouldnt have given you (John) as long a bypass as yours did unless you had a BMI of 60+ I think.
Funny how they all work so differently.
Steph xx

Interesting thread.... xx

Maybe it is different with each surgeon because my surgeon certainly wouldnt have given you (John) as long a bypass as yours did unless you had a BMI of 60+ I think.
Funny how they all work so differently.
Steph xx

Indeed it is a fascinating subject, I suspect there is much more to with it than we could think of. Eg, I suspect my age may have something to do with my long(ish) bypass. At 60 I didn't want to hang around too long before seeing results, also I don't have that many years ahead of me so the long term effects of malabsorbtion are not worth worrying about too much. Sorry to sound morbid, but it's a fact. xx

Hi John, interesting post. I am waiting for my op, will prob be end of June beginning of July. Do you think they take age as well as BMI into account, as I am 53, so need to lose quickly for a good chance of quality of life. xx

Hi John, interesting post. I am waiting for my op, will prob be end of June beginning of July. Do you think they take age as well as BMI into account, as I am 53, so need to lose quickly for a good chance of quality of life. xx

As we have seen, different teams have different views. I would say it was certainly a good idea to raise the question on your pre-op appointment. Best wishes for a date soon. xx

Mine is 150cm which I think is quite a long one ??? I think he did it that long as my BMI was about 55 and also I've had a life long weight issue from being a child so I guess it's a more guarenteed fix. I hardly ever have dumping though.
x

Back