• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Changes in eating patterns

Grace

I was pondering last night on how my eating habits have changed since my surgery in August this year.

I used to eat HUGE portions and loved:
cream
butter
fried food
cakes
sweets
chocolate
pizza
crusty bread
sandwiches
take-aways _Indian or Chinese best but any would do! I loved fried rice, onion bhajis...etc etc
McDonalds
meat in copious quantities
puddings
pastry
ice-cream
crisps
pop
beer/lager
and most of all.....
CHIPS!

Now I eat....
small quantities of meat (grilled or stir fried or roast or stewed), salad, veg, fruit, milk, yoghurts, ryvita, crackers, cheese (low fat), fish, diabetic ice-cream (occasionally), tiny quantities of potato, rice or pasta, occasionally a few (say 6!) oven chips, very occasional bag of French Fries!

I DON'T eat:
*fried food (would make me ill)
*cream (ditto)
*butter (can't stand the taste!)
*bread (it upsets me)
*take-aways (apart from a tiny portion of chicken tikka with yoghurt dip)
*puddings (apart from yoghurt or fruit occasionally with diabetic ice-cream) or sugar free jelly and custard
*pop
*McDonalds
*lager
*crisps
*chocolate
*sweets
*cakes
*pastry (it would upset me)
*sandwiches
*fried chips!

The amazing thing is, with all the things I've cut out of my diet, I don't feel deprived! I've just got used to new things or modified things, such as low fat creme fraiche, sugar-free alternatives, low fat cheese, the healthiest option from the Indian take-away.

And I LOVE the new way of eating....it actually makes me happy, because for the first time in many, many years, I feel in control!

What about other people?

Grace xxx

I used to eat copious amounts of everything and anything at any time of day... Booze was never in the equation though...

I still enjoy everything except chips. Considering i worked in a chip shop for over 20 years and ate them all the time i was there without losing the love of them this has surprised me the most....

I love every food still and have discovered my problem food of rice is okay if it's 'reheated' rice... This seems to eliminate any issues.....

I used to eat copious amounts of everything and anything at any time of day... Booze was never in the equation though...

I still enjoy everything except chips. Considering i worked in a chip shop for over 20 years and ate them all the time i was there without losing the love of them this has surprised me the most....

I love every food still and have discovered my problem food of rice is okay if it's 'reheated' rice... This seems to eliminate any issues.....

I don't want to worry you Julie.....but isn't re-heated rice notorious for causing food poisoning? The one time I ever had it was after chicken fried rice from a Chinese chippy in Liverpool. Oh my, but I was ill! :eek::eek:

I just cant imagine ever not stuffing my face with toast,bread,sandwiches,crusty bread,sliced bread,so you can see where my problem starts!Maz x

It's not reheating rice that's the problem, it's how quickly it's cooled beforehand. But yes, it is one of the biggest causes of food poisoning.

My eating habits have done a complete 360. I started loving pizza, bread, butter, crisps etc. Then, after surgery I ate really well, high protein, salads, lots of veg etc. Now though, I'm back to square one eating pizza, creamy pasta, sausage dinners, crisps, chocolate (little and often) and generally as much fat as I can! But still shrinking, so on ensure plus shakes too. Everyone thinks it's hilarious but in reality it's horrid being under constant pressure to eat.

This is one thing that I soon forgot about but have to keep reminding myself.

I was driving into work tonight and I had a bag of crisps and a cereal bar in the car on the way. I did feel a little guilty but then I thought, well, before the op I used to call to McDonalds and have a meal plus an extra burger and eat that on the way to work! Things have come a long long way since. Not saying crisps is right, it's just a much lesser evil than what I used to do!

Now I don't have ANY chocolate/biscuits/cakes, no McD's/KFC etc. I've had to odd slice of pizza, very infrequent. No deep fried foods. The most fatty thing I have is sometimes a fried egg in toast. That's it.

This is really interesting. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to eat anything I like now, after the op, but it looks like I will be able to eat some of it in small amounts - I will just have to be careful......

I'm very like you Julie i can eat anything and like you i ate huge amounts of everything. Now its everything in moderation and as Mixie says where it used to be, in my case huge bars of chocolate or cakes its now a bit of sugar free chocolate now and again or a go ahead or fibre plus bar. Compared with what i ate before its changed so much. I watch the scales every so often and the day i see a gain i will re visit my eating habits and that's what i love is that control i now have. Grace it's so good to hear you sounding so positive about your new way of life and i'm glad you are now able to enjoy it. Love and hugs to you. xx

My eating habits have changed so much! Pre-op I ate huge portions, I ate take aways, McD's, KFC, Pizzas, Curries, Keebabs....you name it I loved it. Chocolate now and again, I used to go on and off chocolate but my big downfall was crisps.....at least 2 pkt of chicken crisp a night, more most nights. Biscuits, always in at least 5's usually more! Frightening to think about it really!
Now I dont have any of them, I havnt tested my bypass very much since surgery. I havnt dumped as I havnt had anything to make me dump....Im such a coward lol. I havnt had crisps, I have ryvita minis instead. I have melba toasts and carrs melts, no bread yet....Oh I tried a pitta bread, twice I had less than half. I am scared of the slippery slope back to bad foods lol......I know it wont always be like this, but Im happy at the moment and I dont feel deprived so Ill try and stay as I am :D XX

I dont feel deprived of anything, if i want a biscuit i will have one but as alot have said before it would have been half a packet, i love my wholegrain toast and low sugar marmalade in the morning, but i really love my crispy salad at lunch or a lovely prawn advocado, i think it is all about eating in moderation, which the bypass allow you to do. i must admit we went out the other evening and i was watching people load their plates up and felt disgusted with myself as that would of been me before having the bypass

I dont feel deprived of anything, if i want a biscuit i will have one but as alot have said before it would have been half a packet, i love my wholegrain toast and low sugar marmalade in the morning, but i really love my crispy salad at lunch or a lovely prawn advocado, i think it is all about eating in moderation, which the bypass allow you to do. i must admit we went out the other evening and i was watching people load their plates up and felt disgusted with myself as that would of been me before having the bypass

Cheekybum, don't be disgusted, just glad you don't do that any more!

I LOVE my tiny portions and now I feel literally shocked at the hugeness of 'normal' portions. :)

It has amazed me how my tastes have changed.

Before it was takeaways, chocolates cakes and creamy things, loved cheese saused laden with cheeses and more cheese, fried foods and hugh portions.

Now, I prefer simple foods, prawns, salmon, no craving for carbs, I still love cheese actually but just sprikle a bit over my meal and am satisfied. I liked fizzy drinks too, now give me a glass of water.

Today I had a few pringles and it was enough, I did not feel I had to eat the whole tube. I'm actually liking salds and those cereal bars are wonderful.

I also love the small prtions and the way my stomach tells me to stop. Maybe because the portions are now so small I really enjoy the taste of food.

I dont miss that "stuffed and can't move" feeling at all, I feel light after I have eaten, not sluggish and in need of a nap.

It's just a wonderful thing.

oh yes and fruit and yogurts are great too

I'm very hypocritical now. It's very wrong but I also look at other people and think 'That was me'

I am so pleased you said that! I feel awful that I now am inwardly critical of other people eating big portions - and I thought it was just me. Thank you for making me realise that it is perhaps more normal than I thought. I am genuinely just pleased that I am no longer that person but I hate to feel so hypocritical when I know that I would still have that huge plate full if I had not had surgery.

My tastes had changed a lot certainly in the 8 weeks post surgery but I am beginning to like things once more that I initially thought I would never eat again! Had roast lamb, one roast potato, one roast parsnip and some butternut squash for tea today followed by a very small finger of cherry pie with a dash of elmlea.:eek: I am very active though and was struggling to manage 800 calories a day without feeling tired. Certainly dont intend to indulge in such food on a regular basis but hey I had my parents for tea!!

Oh and has anyone else experienced this . . why do I suddenly like coffee again when I really disliked it post op? . . I am loving it again now!

I didnt like coffee or tea straight after surgery, Ive started having coffee again but I have to half it really weak and 1 sweetener instead of 2....still not keen on tea :D XX

I am so pleased you said that! I feel awful that I now am inwardly critical of other people eating big portions - and I thought it was just me. Thank you for making me realise that it is perhaps more normal than I thought. I am genuinely just pleased that I am no longer that person but I hate to feel so hypocritical when I know that I would still have that huge plate full if I had not had surgery.

My tastes had changed a lot certainly in the 8 weeks post surgery but I am beginning to like things once more that I initially thought I would never eat again! Had roast lamb, one roast potato, one roast parsnip and some butternut squash for tea today followed by a very small finger of cherry pie with a dash of elmlea.:eek: I am very active though and was struggling to manage 800 calories a day without feeling tired. Certainly dont intend to indulge in such food on a regular basis but hey I had my parents for tea!!

Oh and has anyone else experienced this . . why do I suddenly like coffee again when I really disliked it post op? . . I am loving it again now!

I'm with you on the coffee thing and on the feeling hypocritical thing too!

Grace I am relieved I am not the only one - perhaps this is a normal step in our wl journey? I am uncomfortable with myself though as I feel such a hypocrite.:argh:

For me Mel, I think its just the realisation that we humans can survive on so much less than we (especially us in affluent Western countries) usually do.

So I feel disgusted at how much other people eat, and also disgusted and shocked at how much I used to eat. I just don't know how we've got so greedy as a race!

I also want to help other obese people when I see them: tell them there is a way out of the nightmare of being fat. Of course I don't! But I would if they asked!

I don't want to worry you Julie.....but isn't re-heated rice notorious for causing food poisoning? The one time I ever had it was after chicken fried rice from a Chinese chippy in Liverpool. Oh my, but I was ill! :eek::eek:

The danger with reheated or fried rice is a bacterium called Bacillus cereus. This is a spore forming bacteria that is present in the outer casing of rice and, because it is able to form these spores that are very resistant to low or high temperatures, it can easily survive cooking and less-than perfect refrigeration. Spores are formed when the bacterium detects harsh conditions such as cold or heat, and it turns itself in to a state of suspended animation that stops it from being destroyed by these conditions.

When rice is boiled and then stored in the fridge without being rapidly cooled first, or if the rice is allowed to cool slowly these spores can germinate on the cooked rice and grow well at 4 degrees Celsius. If the rice is then used in a stir fry or similar dish, where the cooking time is relatively short, enough of the bacteria survive to be ingested. It is well-known to occur in people who eat take-away foods that include rice dishes and its often called Chinese takeaway disease. It’s actually not that common and accounts for less that 3% of foodborne poisonings

I learnt this stuff for my Royal Institute of Public Health and Hygiene exam

I too developed an intolerance of fatties stuffing their faces that made me consider my reasoning for feeling this way. I actually talked to a psychologist about it once and they said it was probably because seeing fat people reminded me of what I once was, and seeing them, especially eating huge quantities of food took me back to a place I don't want to be reminded of

Back