• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Changes in eating patterns

I too developed an intolerance of fatties stuffing their faces that made me consider my reasoning for feeling this way. I actually talked to a psychologist about it once and they said it was probably because seeing fat people reminded me of what I once was, and seeing them, especially eating huge quantities of food took me back to a place I don't want to be reminded of

Probably very true . . . .

I was embarrassed and thought I was the only person who had an intolerance to bigger people stuffing their face. Thank goodness I am not alone.

I was terrified I wouldn't be able to eat "normally" after my bypass but I know I can. I went to TGI Friday's with my family on Saturday and had 1/2 of an 8oz steak, one bite of my mash and a few sips of diet coke. I even had two bites of a starter. It was brilliant, I enjoyed it and loved that I could still leave food on my plate and not feel hungry when I left. And I could care less about pudding now. So different to the me that existed 13 months ago!

There are loads of foods that I no longer eat because I just don't fancy them any more. I haven't had a chip or a crisp since the op - used to love my crisp sarnies (especially marmite crisps!)

Once upon a time I would only eat milk chocolate (although I never really had a sweet tooth), now I can only manage dark chocolate. I only have it as a protein shake or low fat drink.

Potatoes, rice and pasta take up too much room - so I tend to avoid those, whereas they were a big part of my meals in the past.

I don't fry anything - unless it's dry fried in a non-stick pan.

I'm trying to eat more veggies again (I'm a vegetarian and used to really pile up the veggies - not enough space for that now either).

I don't drink alcohol at all.

I've never been a big fruit fan, but have found that I can barely eat any now as I've had dumping from it (despite being a sleever). Melon, dates and figs are the only fruits I've ever really liked and I pretty much have to avoid them now.

The main difference these days is that I NEVER feel hunger. It's great! xx

Im so happy to hear that you still dont feel hungry. Im like that now and Ive been dreading the hunger coming back to knock me off balance, I only said the other day I hope the hunger never comes back :D XX

Dotty I do occasionally feel hungry (rarely) but it's no more of a slight peckishness rather then gut-wrenching ravenousness!
And I've also found that I can mistake feeling hungry for thirst.
It's great! I also dread hunger returning in any significant way.
Grace xxx

I dont know about you Grace but before the op I think all I ever thought about was food! Whats for dinner, whats for tea and on and on! I find that I dont do this much atall anymore, maybe now and again but I cant say Im hungry. If I start to feel hunger in any way I will try a drink first and hope that curbs it :D I love this new way of eating, its like I eat to live now not live to eat :D XX

I dont know about you Grace but before the op I think all I ever thought about was food! Whats for dinner, whats for tea and on and on! I find that I dont do this much atall anymore, maybe now and again but I cant say Im hungry. If I start to feel hunger in any way I will try a drink first and hope that curbs it :D I love this new way of eating, its like I eat to live now not live to eat :D XX

Yes, me too Dotty. In fact if I ever allowed myself to feel hunger, I used to get into a state of panic. I used to only feel secure if the cupboards and fridge were so loaded it looked like we were in a state of siege!
Now I'm so laid-back about food, it's amazing. For tea tonight I had a tiny bit of cold chicken left from last night, with a tiny bit of salad. Everyone else was out and I wasn't bothered at all about eating. It's so cool!

Back