• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Changes in taste since surgery

janeyf

I wondered how many people have had problems with most food just not tasting as you remember it. I am 9 weeks post-op RNY and I thought it was just a phase at first being on liquids etc and was desperate to get on to food thinking that I would regain my taste buds. However, now I am starting to introduce normal foods, everything I try, apart from Readybrek and Ambrosia low fat custard, leaves me feeling a bit nauseous when I start to eat it. Each time I think I really fancy something and make or buy it, it is such a huge disappointment and I end up throwing it and eating a yoghurt or custard.

I have started to feel I would rather avoid meals altogether than have to think of something I want to eat.

People keep saying "oooh I wish I could do that" and I probably would have said the same but I am worried that I might start having problems with eating and become malnourished etc.

I know it is early days and I might be worrying over nothing but I wondered if anyone else felt this way and when and if did it change.

Thanks

Jane x

I felt nauseous introducing normal food. Stick with it and don't skip meals, it does get easier. I'm nearly 2 years pot op now and my tastes have changed considerably. I like really strong flavours now, where before I didn't.

Yes, felt exactly the same. It's a good opportunity to try foods you didn't use to like, as my tastes have definitely changed. It was a good few months before food tasted normal again, although have gone off some foods completely.

Hi, I felt exactly the same. I'm almost 11 weeks out now and most things are back to normal. It does get better x

Thanks guys that good to know there's hope. I keep worrying I'm going to want to stop eating altogether at this rate (except for my ice lollies and custard pots !!!!!) xx

Hi janey, I am almost 5 weeks out and everything I taste seems really salty! I think the mild yogurts and milk have probably reset our tastebuds to a point until we decide what we like/dont like.

All I wanna eat is meat n veg! literally lol. I havent had any probs apart from that but hope you start to eat more soon hun x

Thanks Joanne. I am looking forward to enjoying something I eat even if it is a tiny amount. Hopefully its just a phase xx

Back