• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

metallic taste in mouth

kjarvis420

Hi everyone. I am about 1 1/2 weeks post op, roux en y. Has anyone else experienced a metallic taste in the mouth? Water tastes like metal to me, but my husband and kids say it tastes normal. Eggs kind of have a metallic taste as well. Also, I am smelling things like crazy. I can smell EVERYthing. What's going on???

I'm pre-op so I really don't know but want to offer a bit of support to you. I have read that some people taste changes dramatically after bypass ,so maybe that's affecting your smell too. They are senses that work so closely together. I had a metallic taste in my mouth when I did Cambridge Diet. I think it was a combination of the high vitamin content and keytones.
Don't worry- Someone who actually knows what they're talking about will be along soon :)

Yes it'll be down to lack of calories & carbs... you'll be in a fat burining state called ketosis & one of the side affects is metallic taste... I get it everytime I low carb, heightened senses is also a side affect as is glow in the dark wee!! :eek: :D

A metallic taste is a sign of acid reflux x

Ditzee Blonde and Big an Bouncie...Thanks! I feel much better now. I was wondering what the heck was goin on with me.
Newcy, I'll be on the lookout for reflux but I take preventative meds for it. Hopefully they're working.

Suck some sugar free mints, they helped me with the minging taste I had in my mouth post op.

When I had my surgery I'm sure they gave me somebody elses tongue.
I have had to ring the docs today and request something for oral thrush! It is disgusting. Great big pink islands sticking out of yucky brown fungus.
I wont be kissing anybody for a while!
Wonder whos tongue it is and if they are missing it, and worse of all, what they had been doing with it before they gave it to me!!
Lynne x

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww lol
Lynne xx

When I wwas first post op I used a spoon to scrap mine as it was that bad x

:argh: I can honestly say of all the side effects I've read about, of all the gory videos I've watched, of all the pain people report, of all the risks I've considered this is the only thing that has actually managed to put me off having surgery. I ain't never gonna get this image out of my head.:tongue:

... nope, never, ever.....

Its totally normal and it passes - promise. Your body is in total shock at the moment but it will settle. Only thing to watch for is if everything starts to taste really sweet - thats a sign of dehydration so keep drinking even if it tastes rubbish.

I didnt have furry tongue but furry teeth.Woke up one day felt like I had fallen asleep with cotton wool in my mouth!Im a gaggy type anyway it soon goes as you eat and drink more.

Back