• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Confused.... need some advice and info to help me make decision.

novamay

Born Free
Hi, after news that I had been refused a sleeve by the MDT (they want me to have bypass) I have now received a letter from the pschologist who doesnt think a bypass would be good for me. He's offered to meet with me to discuss further, but understands if I don't want to do this. I've now got my OPA with the surgeon on 28th November so I can't get in to see pscyhologist before then. Hopefully at this appointment I'll have a chance to say whether I want bypass or sleeve. But I'm confused at the moment and don't know which would be best.

I would like to find out how other people have dealt with situations where before they would have turned to food, following surgery - either bypass or sleeve.

In the past, when upset, worried, angry etc, I've used food as a release. How difficult is it after surgery to stop doing this? What do you do instead? Is it similar to the being 'on a diet' mentality or are you just not bothered about not having that biscuit or choc when others are tucking in?

I've also read about addiction transfer - I currently don't do drink/drugs/smoking so not sure if this is a risk for me... possibly I could get an addiction to clothes and handbags :)

I know the phsyical aspecs of the ops and the main differences between the sleeve and bypass, but just want some advice on how to handle (or what to expect) from the emotional/psychological side.

Any advice/info will be appreciated.

I understand the importance of psychological assessment and they must be concerned that the operation would not work for you and would ultimately make you unhappy or unwell.

I have been through the whole lot and decided on a bypass. I am now 5 months post op and consider that I am on a life long diet. I am now very very aware of what I eat and I have made a conscious decision to track everything I put in my mouth. So from that aspect I will be on a diet forever.

That said I have eaten things that are not on the plan, but I don't beat myself up over it. I have learned how to crochet and when I am tempted I reach for that.

I have now lost 107 Lbs so seeing the difference has been a huge incentive to stick with it.

Good luck

I used to use food when I was depressed, happy, celebrating, worried, stressed etc I would binge a lot. Since having my sleeve, that need has stopped. I eat when my body tells me to eat. I also don't deny myself anything. Because I am eating such small portions and so little, a biscuit every now and again isn't a problem. I can't take chocolate since having my sleeve, it makes me feel nauseous!
I have found that my purse has taken a clobbering since having the sleeve, I am no longer spending my money on food and I am now spending it on things for my house. I won't waste my money on clothes because I am losing weight so rapidly, there is no point! I hope you get on ok xx

I think you are right to be concerned about these things. A good book to read might be the emotional first aid to wls I think its called as it covers all the things you're asking. The bypass and the sleeve are not all that different in terms of the psychological effects.

Back