• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Need advice please

daisy2002

Hi.
I am looking for advice on WLS.
I am desperate to have something done.
I am fed up of being obese, my weight has gone up and down between 18st down to 10st and back up again numerous times in the last 8 or so years.

I don't think there is any point in seeing my GP & i imagine the waiting times are long.

So i'm just wondering if anyone is from London and has paid for WLS themselves. I've heard good things about the gastric sleeve.
I don't know where would be the best to look in terms of good surgeons, good price, good waiting times etc.
I am a little scared how much the surgery will cost as i don't have that much money spare.... thinking it'll take all our savings.
I need to do something about this asap, i am so miserable and depressed.

Anyone have an advice for me please?
Thank you

There are numerous hospitals in London that offer the gastric sleeve. Price very quite a bit a sleeve you are looking at around 9k+ in the uk. I would try and go NHS as you will be seen by the same surgeons in the same hospital just slightly quicker. THe weighting time from referral to surgery at uclh is less than 7months.

I live in central London (pct city & East). Initial I was going to go private & did loads of research & choose Mr Mannur in the City. I also got a NHS referral to him via the Homerton hospital in January 2011 & got funding in May 2011. I then decided to wait for the NHS op & saved the money for any tummy tucks etc in my new future. I was sleeved 2 weeks ago & haven't looked back. Mr Mannur was fantastic & his credentials are excellent. Just my personal experience but thought I would share.
Of course if you do go private the waiting time is much much shorter.

I don't think there is any point in seeing my GP & i imagine the waiting times are long.

With a BMI of 40 (according to your stats on the left hand side) you would need at least two co-morbidities to qualify for NHS funding.

(NICE rules: BMI over 50 straight to surgery, BMI over 45 plus one co-morbidity, BMI over 40 plus two co-morbidities.)

Co-morbidites includes high blood pressure, sleep apnoea, Type 2 diabetes, and various other conditions (check with your GP for a full list of qualifying conditions).

Current London waiting list approx times:

** UCLH -- between 6 to 8 months
** Whittington -- up to 18 months
** Charing Cross -- approx 12 months

I would recommend my own surgeon (even tho I have not been operated on yet --eeeek!) but he has a very good reputation.

However, if you did get referred to the Whittington on the NHS you would now be looking at 18 months waiting.

Pratik Sufi also does private work in central and outer London (although the price is likely to be around £10K):
Dr. Pratik Sufi - Upper Gastrointestinal & Laparoscopic Surgeon, London UK

and
Dr. Pratik Sufi - Obesity Laparoscopic Surgeon, Obesity Clinic London UK
-- Wellington Hospital, St Johns Wood, NW8 or
-- Spire Bushey Hospital, Bushey, Herts

Mine was done on the NHS and on the day of surgery my BMI was 36, I do have a few of the qualifying Co-Morbitities though, Diabeties, Sleep Apnea, Arthritis, COPD, to name just a few.

From referal to surgery was about 16 weeks. I had my surgery at St Richards in Chichester.

If you are going on the NHS you may be offered a choice of Hospitals, try and go to one that is listed as a National WLS Centre, as they do a lot more than the odd surgeon fitting them in between his normal surgeries.

Paul

Hi,
I had my surgery on 13th June 2012 after having my initial consultation at the beginning of December. I went private with Surgicare and it cost me £9000. The surgeon - Dr Haashemi was great and the hospital in central london was amazing. I would recommend it to anyone who is thinking of having a sleeve done!

Hi,
I am going private and have chosen the wlsgroup. due to have my surgery on the 24th- so far, they have been very supportive and its costing me just under £8.5 k. Mr. Patel at kings does it for 7.5k I beleive but only one year follow up. I found also another surgeon who is doing it with one incision in illford and central london for about 7.5.
All the best!

I would recommend Cosmetic Bliss too. Yes you have to travel to the Czech Rep but you are supported at all stages x

Back