• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

confused

Raynebubble

well i just rang the hospital as i feel like i have a something very tiny stuck in my throat...feels like when you get a hair stuck... i had this before on pureed stage for a while then it cleared.
Yesterday i was told by surgeon to have fluids for a day as i was suffering from what my doc says could be a sickness bug.
Well ths nurse i spoke to today said what did you have yesterday then.. and i said i drunk tea and a bit of squash all day then i felt ok to have some dinner so had 200ml lentil soup... then she went on this long chat about my pouch is small and that i shouldnt eat 200ml of soup!

my guidlines say for dinner:
one example..
200ml soup, half a cup of mash and half a cup of soft vegetable. then dessert

all i had was the 200ml soup.. i had no mash no veg and defo no desert..
so why is she having a go at me for eating 200ml of soup... she said i should stop eating after 20 mins and chew.... it was soup, there was nothing to chew...
im really confused now she has made me upset as i now dont know if im eating too much or not..
im sticking by my guidlines they have given me :cry:

Hi rayne
Im not saying she does'nt know her stuff but its the bariatric nurse or dietician you should of spoken to, i expect they were not available though. If it says on your sheet 200ml then that is right and she is wrong. When i was on puree i was allowed to have a small cup of clear soup which was'nt far off 200ml and that was ages ago.
Keep on doing what your doing and phone back monday and confirm that 200mls is ok.
As for your throat, get down the doctors and get him to have a good look down there, could be where the tube came out and your larynx got scratched and is still healing??
Enjoy the weekend and try to stop worrying (cant believe im telling someone not to worry, as i worry about not worrying lol)
Kim

As long as you are sticking to the guidelines given to you by your surgeon I can't see that you're doing anything wrong. Maybe the nurse you spoke to wasn't a bariatric nurse so isn't 100% famililar with the aftercare? I wouldn't worry about it too much, just keep sticking to what you've been given or give your dietician a call for a second opinion :)

H xx

:( hopefully someone who knows will come along soon to help you, chin up sweet xxx

i dont think it the surgery which is the reason my throat seems like there is something in my throat as i had surgery 7 weeks ago.... but i rang the emergency line and got told off again and they said the surgeon when out of surgery will ring me re my throat.. so that can be anytime... and i was told to ring next week and make an appointment with the dietician. so i will do that... but even they said my pouch is the size of my thumb and because it says 200ml soup on the sheet doesnt mean i have to have 200ml.
im so confused... i put on my plate the amount they say on the sheet and i always stop before and leave some... but occasionally i eat all of it... i chew loads and i stick within 20 minutes.. so i dont see where i have gone wrong.. yet they are having a go at me saying that i should eat until im satisfied, not until im full... i have never been sick or had aches and pains or dumping... yet im still doing wrong.. im so fed up!!

I would try not to worry I'm week and a half out and I had nearly 200mls of soup the other day as it's liquid and can pass through pouch no problems. You have not been sick and your stomach has managed the soup. I would just take her with a pinch of salt. Your doing really well and try not let any one tell you other wise. Can't believe your getting wrong for having around 130cals of soup lol x

thanks suzie... i thought i had done right as i was poorly yesterday and hadnt eaten anything all day apart from a babybel light. im just gonna carry on as im doing and wait to see the dietician which will hopefully be soon xx

Rayne don't worry too much hon, as a liquid it will goes quickly through your pouch and not stretch it.

I had a few days pre-op when my mouth tasted as though I'd been licking the carpet lol! It did go, think it must have been a side effect of being in ketosis as I'd had similar when doing a low cal meal replacement diet.

I've just checked out my nutrition leaflet given by my nutritionist and during the fluids only weeks it specifies 1-200mls, and during soft food stage (weeks 3-6 for me) it states 200-300mls of thick vegetable soup. Don't stress too much sweetheart, you are not doing it wrong or causing any damage.

Thankyou Minxie xx

Hi rayne,
Ok so they said up to 200mls and your pouch will not be stretched. Well thats exactly what your having so your doing it all the right way. If it makes you feel better measure out 150ml next time and see if your sastified on that. Good luck
Kim

It is all very confusing isn't it. I don't know how we can eat till we're satisfied, I'm satisfied with before I even start a meal as never feel hungry in the first place. I'm sure that 200ml of soup isn't going to harm your pouch though, it's what we've all been advised to have.

Hope you get to talk to the surgeon and that the meeting with the dietician is helpful.

Kate x

well its 8.50 and the surgeon didnt call!! im gonna speak to my doctor aout my throat on monday and i will ring the hospital on monday to make my dietician appointment... and when i finally do get an appointment which prob will be weeks away.. im gonna have a ton of questions xx

i have a cupa soup for my lunch - and i think its about 250 ml of water i put on it, its no different to drinking any fluid as theres hardly anything to it - i dont know what she is talking about - i thought fluid goes through the pouch quite quickly

i would just do what you have been doing - its all so confusing for us all - we should all be doing the same thing where ever we had the ops

i know... you follow the guidelinesthe get shouted at... they also had a go at me for drinking at meal times... ive never had a drink at meal times..ive kept to the 30 mins before and after since the beginning. the first nurse also said... well if your eating too much then you will be sick... i said to her i havnt been sick... i have a sickness bug!! it was like she didnt want to hear what i was saying... he i called the second time... the consultant said... yourproblem is being dealt with and the surgen is gin to call you when out of surgery...no call!! i feel really let down by them and dont know what i can do about it :-(

Could be stress affecting your throat hun!I used to get it,its either that or as suggested a scratch from surgery.This is a wet area and might take longer to heal as food is constantly passing the area and hurting it.Relax Im sure you will be fine.

Could be stress affecting your throat hun!I used to get it,its either that or as suggested a scratch from surgery.This is a wet area and might take longer to heal as food is constantly passing the area and hurting it.Relax Im sure you will be fine.

Thankyou, so far today it doesnt seem as bad as yesterday.. it doesnt hurt, its more annoying as it feels like something small stuck in my throat.. like when you have a hair or something...pre op you can get rid by swallowing a bit of bread... but i rid swallowing a it of mashed banana and its still there... feels like you have to continue swallowing.
If my throat was scratched from surgery...wouldnt it have healed by now being 7 weeks gone. i was pretty stressed yesterday so it could of been made worse by that.. xx
today im not feeling sick so not had a sickness tab.. but im feeling very tired so think im gonna finish my cuppa and shut my eyes for half hour see if that helps x

Raynebubble said:
Thankyou, so far today it doesnt seem as bad as yesterday.. it doesnt hurt, its more annoying as it feels like something small stuck in my throat.. like when you have a hair or something...pre op you can get rid by swallowing a bit of bread... but i rid swallowing a it of mashed banana and its still there... feels like you have to continue swallowing.
If my throat was scratched from surgery...wouldnt it have healed by now being 7 weeks gone. i was pretty stressed yesterday so it could of been made worse by that.. xx
today im not feeling sick so not had a sickness tab.. but im feeling very tired so think im gonna finish my cuppa and shut my eyes for half hour see if that helps x

Have you thought about going to see your gp, he can have a good look down your throat, it is possible something could. Be stuck. I had a friend who had a tiny sliver of apple embedded into her throat. Dr removed it with tweezershugs

Nwendy x

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

i did ask doc before and he just said your throat is fine.... it comes and goes and is worse some days more than others... just feels like something small stuck. i will ask dietician next week when i see her x

Back