• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How much food do you eat???

emmafifema

Hi everyone,

I am 1 week post op and doing ok to be honest, but I was wondering what quantity of food you eat for each meal?

I am at present eating what I ate in hospital which is 2 tablespoons for each meal, although breakfast is a killer for me so today I had a nas milkshake instead.
But here is my menu for yesterday and then today...

Yesterday:
breakie - 2 tablespoons of low fat yogurt
Lunch - 2 dairylea light triangles
Dinner - homemade leek and potatoe soup (75ml)

Today:
breakie - nas milkshake
Lunch - leek and potatoe soup (75ml)
Dinner - 1 tablespoon mash, 1 tablespoon baked beans.

I feel I could probably eat more but I dont because I dont know if i should. So any replies would be great.

Thanks xxxxx

Emma, believe me, your body will definitely tell you if you are eating too much and its fairly impossible at this stage to eat too much anyway.
My advice is just to take it steady, eat really slowly and stop at the first sign of fullness or discomfort. Good luck x

I would say you're not eating enough. My provider suggested I have 3 meals and 2 snacks a day immediately post op so that was soup (basically all I lived on post op), pureed fruit, no added sugar angel delight etc.

So does anyone know if there is a recommendation or guide line for what we should eat - i deffinately cant hack eating the snacks but forgot to say that I do have 2 glasses of skimmed milk a day - normally a latte or nas milkshake. xx

HI Emma

Guidelines very from hospital to hospital, but what you are having looks fine to me if you are supplementing with drinks. At only a week post op its more important to get the fluids in than to worry about the quantities of food.

Your choices look good too for the stage you are at. Quantities will increase as time goes on and you may feel that you need those snacks as you become more active and life returns to normal.

I agree with the previous comments. At your stage you can't eat too much, just keep slurping. Soups and dairy are great but also keep up the plain/sf squash water as much as you can. Main thing is to not worry about it, that will only tense up your pouch and make it difficult to get much in. You're doing great!
xx

I'm 5 days post op and really struggling with everything. It takes me about 2 hours to drink half of a beaker of cordial. It just hurts my pouch. But Y'day I had 1/2 tomato soup, 1/2 cup options drinking chocolate, 3 beakers of squash. x

MissCharlie, i'm glad to see that slowly your drinking is getting better! xx

Well I think you are doing well, as they say, just make sure you take in plenty of fluids and take it slowly.

Back