• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Contraception post surgery????

yasmine-samara

Hi,

I was told that once you have had your surgery that you will be very fertile due to the fast weight loss and I was worried about this as I am very fertile anyway!!
I got pregnant first time with both my little girls once I came off my pill and I know I was soooo lucky.
The problem is now that I am divorced and have been with my new partner 2 years in june and we would dearly love a baby together but just not yet!!!
In 2-3 years would be ideal and we don't want to have any accidents....lol
I am curretly on the pill but will I have to change as I don't think you can take tablets right after surgery can you?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Have you considered the Implant? my daughter (age 17) has one of these and she has found it great....She doesnt like needles bless her but didnt find them fitting it too bad and is happy that she now only has a period every 3 months or so....Im happy cos its not a pill she can forget to take and end up giving me a grandbaby (I already have 7 step-granbabies!)

I have a Mirena coil and have a lso found this to be excellent I hardely ever get periods now (maybe 1 or 2 a year) which for me is wonderful as I did suffer with very heavy ones. The coil is a bit uncomfortable to get fitted its honestly like a bad period cramp and over in a couple of minutes. It works for 5 years...you can have it removed when ever you want.

I dont have to worry personally about contraception as hubby has had the snip and have my coil due to my bad periods but hope fully either of these non-pill ooptions could help you?

xx

when i saw shaw somers last week we discussed contraception and he said that the implant and depo provera injections can hinder weight loss even after surgery and he reccomended i dont use either, so this might help your decision. julie.

Thats really strange that he should say that as my daughter has found the oposite in that since stopping the pill she has found it easier to loose weight....my understanding is that its exactly the same hormones just administerd differently.

Thats really strange that he should say that as my daughter has found the oposite in that since stopping the pill she has found it easier to loose weight....my understanding is that its exactly the same hormones just administerd differently.

im under mr sommers as well and he quiet on has a gynea in with him and they talk thru all the different options i was recommended to have a mirena as the tablets i take to help my totm be less painfull and heavy can interfear as well hormones apperntly are very sensitive to weightloss

in reply to thread speak to your surgical team id have thought once your wellenough post op youd be able to take it the pill is tiny

IF you want more children then I would not go for the depo. I took it after my daughter and after coming off in last July my periods came back finally in January and now they are every 2 weeks. The depo can take over 12 months to get out of your system after.

I had patched before and they were great. Just like the pill hormone but through a patch you change once a week and then have break just like the pill. The benefit is once you do decided to have more children then you can just stop the patch then and there. I think I will consider the implant though for long term.

IF you want more children then I would not go for the depo. I took it after my daughter and after coming off in last July my periods came back finally in January and now they are every 2 weeks. The depo can take over 12 months to get out of your system after.

I was just about to say the same thing. It took 9 months for my periods to return after i had the depo, and now they are all over the place, and very light at times.
Id never recommend this to anyone, never mind those who want more children. Stay clear!

Condoms? thats what me and hubby are doing until we can try for baby #2, after my hell with depo.

Hi guys,
Thanks for the replies........I have started a right debate here lol!!

I go and see my surgeon on wed so I will ask him then.
I am having my op tues 5th May and my last pill for that pack is only the next day so they might let me take the tues one on the day of my op and just miss the last one I guess. This is a dilema for me as I am a student nurse and certainly don't want to get pregnant during my degree and I want to have a slim healthier body for my last pregnancy as I was 22 stone ish when I conceived before. I want to be able to have a proper baby bump instead of just looking extra fat........I'm sure some of you have been there and know exactly how that feels!!!

I certainly won't be doing anything anytime soon post op so missing 1 pill shouldn't be an issue, should it?

I had to have the depo injection for 12 months as part of my treatment for gynea problems - thats when my weight problems started. I put on 4 stones in the first six months! then got very high blood pressure.

See what your surgical team advice, I've got to ask mine the same. Good luck x

Oooh oooh shall i help? Then again, I might not be the best person to advise ;)

Hehe, Shel. No advice from the pregnant gallery please...

Nic:D

Both my daughter and step daughter had the implant. My daughter ended up on a constant period and in pain and had to have it removed. My step daughter also has had constant periods but its under control now as she has the pill aswell to see if it will sort its self out. The injection stops the body producing calcium and as after surgery we have to have calcium tabs that one dont sound to good.

Im ok I was steralised when I was 25

Unfortunately I am one of those people that can't deal with synthetic hormones:(, I gain weight from them:mad:, I cry/yell alot:cry::mad: and I get unpredictable bleeding for 7-20 days at a time. I have PCOS so many doctors have thought pills/patches/injections ect would 'help' but honestly I feel like a psycho-b*tch from hell on them. So, I go old school & use condoms. I have been infertile for some time now & hope that with my weight loss I can become the mummy I have always wanted to be & would be hard pressed to try anything that could even temporarly disrupt my fertility. It is the only way for me and after I conceive some babies and our family is complete I am asking hubby to get snipped.

That's just me, from the peanut gallery with my 2p worth!

Nic;)

Nic :hug99: I'm hoping that me getting pregnant has given you more hope, as you know I tried to conceive pre-op for a long time and nothing happened. You'll get there x

Yes, hun it really really has! I have lots of hope now. And feel less likely to snatch the cute babies from their prams when the mums aren't looking!

Nic:p:p (not really a baby stealer, promise but sometimes they are sooooooooooo cute, especially the ginger ones).

Back