• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

couple of questions

SCOOBYDOOBYDOO

Hey everyone,
I have a couple of questions that I hope some of you bypassers will be able to help me with please.
The first is about tablets....the dietitian told me that 6 weeks after my bypass I could start taking them whole as long as they weren't too big but literature that I've been given says to crush them for a year?? Anyone enlighten me?

Also the dietitain told me to avoid high sugar and high fat foods when I start eating which I obviously knew already from reading on here. I said to her 'So I have to keep to under 5% sugar per 100 g then?' and she said 'oh no, you will be fine up to 10%'. Then I asked her if it was the same for fats and she said 'you can go up to about 20g per 100g of fat'. I know she's meant to be the professional but I,m not sure about this!

I know we should trust the teams that worked on us but considering the theatre staff offered me a glass of water as soon as I came round from surgery when I knew I wasn't allowed to drink until after the swallow test the next day I am feeling a little dubious! Lol

Any help will be much apprecaited as I am trying to follow all the rules to give myself the best chance of success. Cheers x

I was given a massive pain killer tablet day after my op and said are you sure? to the nurse she said yeah be fine, needless to say i broke it in half and it was fine and iv had all meds in tablet form since, on the sugar and fats teams all work different mine says 5-10% on sugar and same on fat , depending on how sensitive you are to dumping you can lower it to the 5% but we are all told to follow the advice given by our teams so it may be a bit of trial and error x

Hi Leanne, i took my tablets whole after day 3 and my multivitamin is nearly an inch long! ive been fine and have had no problems. As for the sugar and fat grammes i was never told an amount to have i just used common sense really we all know whats good and bad for us! I guess it will just be a matter of time in the future when you know how much your body will tolerate, i dont really dump but i dont push my sugar or fat content to test it much either, hope this helps xxx

Hi lovely,

I took whole pills a couple of weeks after my op, and have never had any problems, my multi vits are also huge!

I try to stick to below 5g of sugar, but occasionally have a skinny cow ice lolly which is more, but have always been fine with them.

Also I drink alot of fruit juice, which is higher than 5g, but remember when I was ill after 5 mini eggs, so it's a pretty fine line for me.

Just text me if you need help.

Hope to speak to you tomorrow

xxx

I was taking tablets within a few days after the bypass and have done since then. I do stick to the 5g of sugar (and occasionally 10g per 100g). I have never paid much attention to the fats though otherwise you could never eat meat or nuts as they are much higher in fat but filled with tons of protein.

Hi Leanne

we're all advised different things by different providers.

I was told to crush my tablets whilst on the liquid stage but as soon as I was on pureed I could take them whole again.

Reading other posts on here you can have anything from 5-10g sugar - I was told to keep it under 5 the same with fats. I was also advised not to have fruit juice early on as I may dump from it, but was allowed to drink water as soon as I was put on the ward - my surgeon doesn't do a swallow test (he's that good, he practically guarantees no leaks!).

It's always good to go with what your team tells you and I'm sure that as you progress and get use to the new you you will be able to judge yourself what you can/can't tolerate.

Good luck x

I was told to crush meds until i was back onto a normal diet. This was about 6 weeks.

I was told to stick to a low fat low sugar diet. I was told to aim for 5% or less with packaged foods. Meat and fish and other basics are fine as long as no fat is added and visible fat is removed.

Thanks everyone. Some great advice there xx

Hi,

Everyone is different....I found with this surgery it is a learning curve and what might be ok one day, will not be ok the next. To start with it might be best to keep it to 5 in 100 and as time goes on see how u get on. Your body will let you know what it is ok and what is not.

Mandy

Back