• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Criteria for TT/arm lift on NHS in West Sussex??

emmafifema

Hi everyone,

So, I had my surgery 3 years ago and have lost 9 1/2 stone to date. I had very large arms pre surgery and now they are so saggy I actually am dreading the summer again - last summer and the one before was a nightmare, I have to wear cardigans all the time even in the heat as I can't bare anyone to see them, I sweat excessively from that area too. My boyfriend of 2 years has never and will never see my arms, I wear a short sleeved cardy in bed!

I also have a tummy fold which is causing a lot of skin irritation and itching/rash....this ahs always been there but is now getting worse for some reason.

My breasts are like spaniels ears! Again my boyfriend has never and will never see them, I wear bras 24/7.

It's all such a nightmare and really getting me down - I'm off down the doctors this week about the rash under my fold.......the thought of anyone seeing my stomach has stopped me from going until now but it's at the point I have to now get something sorted.

Does anyone know what the PCT rules are in my area please?

First of all, I don't know how funding for plastics work but fantastic news on the weight loss. I know when I have my surgery skin is going to be a real problem as it already is. My tummy overhangs quite a bit now so once it's empty it will be a nightmare.

I hope someone with more knowledge than me will give you some hope, but if I was in your position I would be pushing all the way. Living the way you have described isn't right and if you are sufferring from rashes etc then I can't see how it's not considered a medical need. Good luck x

Don't assume paddy! I was huge - well over 30 stone. My overhang is very small and I'm still loosing.

Hi hun and fantastic news on your weight loss! Not sure what your area pct rules are as every area different but just do a google search and you should find something as thats what i did for Leeds PCT.

Leeds PCT requires you have a BMI under 30 and have maintained this for 12 months but each area is different. To have tummy tuck you also need to be put on exceptional circumstances. As you mentioned you get skin irritations/rashes this is included! :D

I recently saw my GP in January about my tummy as had 2 c sections which left me an utter mess....same as you could not show anyone and covered it up to hide away from the world. After 5 years of infections/rashes/sores im sure you know very much what i mean here lol i decided enough was enough. My first GP (male doctor) had no interest in helping me so i saw a lovely female doctor (much more sympathetic in my case). She straight away put me forward to see a plastic surgeon only 4 weeks later! I was so nervous the ps would say nope go away lol but he agreed i needed work doing and said he was putting funding in for a full Fleur Di leis tummy tuck...i was gob smacked to say the least!
Well i didnt hear anything for around 6 weeks then i got a call from my GP to say she wanted to have a word with me so and to book an appointment 2 weeks later.
I saw my GP and was so happy to hear my ps and GP had managed to secure full funding for my NHS tummy tuck....I seriously could have run around crying and doing a happy dance!

I next see my GP in 2 weeks and then again in 6 weeks as go to see the ps again in 6 weeks too.
The ps wants to tak to me about my op in full and put me on his waiting list:D

Count down the 16th of May begins!

You can get them done on NHS but its a postcode lottery but never give up hope! Keep at at or even see a different GP at your doctors surgery.

Wishing you all the luck in the world hun xxx

im in west sussex and when i was banded 4 yrs ago there was no nhs plastic surgery i hope this has changed but i have a feeling it hasnt but best bet is go see your gp or ring the bariatric team they will know

OK, so I'm off to the docs in the morning to speak to him about all of this so keep your fingers crossed for me people...eek! x

OK, so I went, I told him all my issues, showed him my bad skin under my stomach and my belly button and he has point blank refused to refer me! He said he has had 3 patients in the same situation who have been unsuccessful and ended up going private so he just won't refer anyone now........gave me a load of medication to control the infections and told me to write to my surgeon asking for help. He said I wasn't councelled properly before the op regarding this as I was only shown photos of excess skin and wasn't warned about the other stuff that comes with it.
I am so disappointed and actually cried my eyes out in his office :-(

Are you able to see a different doctor within the practice? just because he wont refer you, doesn't mean someone else may not?

I may well try seeing a different doctor - my gp is normally amazing, he was just so adamant that he will not ever refer me. He was so abrupt I didn't even get a chance to tell him about the fact I wear cardigans to bed so my bf doesn't see my arms etc, I just showed him the physical problems.

I had exact same problem with my gp hun so i sneakily made an appointment to see a female gp who was amazing! He said no for over a year as said id be turned down so no point so this Jan i went to see another doctor. She took one look (my male gp wont even look the whole bloody time) and she referred me straight away! I got an appointment 4 weeks later. Plastic surgeon also said the work needed to be done on health grounds eg back ache and infections/skin irritations. Then 6 weeks later my doctor called to say i had funding too! I seriously happy danced the rest of the day and still to this day cant believe it! I see my ps again in 2 weeks to discuss the opp in full. Im still terrified ill get turned away though at last min and wont believe its happening till im there as fought 5 years for this :) Never give up hope hun and just try different tactics!

Wow thats amazing! really pleased for you! I think I will ask to see a female GP then, do you think next week will be too soon after seeing my GP this week gone???
My GP literally acknowledged that I had fungal infections due to my overhanging stomach and the same in my belly button due to the crease there, he didn't want to look at my arms or my breasts at all - I tried telling him about everything but he just stopped me in my tracks even though I was blubbing my eyes out.
I was so desperate and distraught after seeing him I came home and emailed "embarrassing bodies"!

Oh hunny i too went down that route of embarrassing bodies too with no luck after i lost all hope :sigh:. Id deffo go see another gp asap hun and just keep trying. Never give up hope. I was at the point where i was looking and trying to get loans etc with no hope too. Soon as i saw a different gp my life changed and ive never been happier. Wishing you all the luck in the world hun. Have you checked the criteria for your area? This will help to see if they do it at your local hospital etc. I only got funding through pct for exceptional circumstances due to infections etc. Keep trying! xxx

Huni...you must def get a second opinion and if that fails, then a third and fourth. It's not just about the physical and medical problems, it's also psychological and affects all aspects of your daily life. Keep trying til you find someone who will listen.
Good luck :) x

Oh hunny i too went down that route of embarrassing bodies too with no luck after i lost all hope :sigh:. Id deffo go see another gp asap hun and just keep trying. Never give up hope. I was at the point where i was looking and trying to get loans etc with no hope too. Soon as i saw a different gp my life changed and ive never been happier. Wishing you all the luck in the world hun. Have you checked the criteria for your area? This will help to see if they do it at your local hospital etc. I only got funding through pct for exceptional circumstances due to infections etc. Keep trying! xxx

Was the other GP you saw at the same surgery?? I am thinking of seeing a female GP about this at the same surgery? I am not sure of the criteria for my area and I have scoured the internet trying to find something on it but can't. I live in Crawley, West Sussex

Hi yes i saw a female GP in same surgery with no problems :) The only thing i didnt like was when i had to see the male gp about something else he straight away mentioned my appointment with her and looked very disappointed with me. Felt like saying to him well you didnt want to help so had to go elsewhere!

According to West Sussex NHS this op s not routinely funded but still worth a try under exceptional circumstances. x

http://www.westsussex.nhs.uk/domain...edures_with_restrictions_2011_version_2.1.pdf

Hi yes i saw a female GP in same surgery with no problems :) The only thing i didnt like was when i had to see the male gp about something else he straight away mentioned my appointment with her and looked very disappointed with me. Felt like saying to him well you didnt want to help so had to go elsewhere!

According to West Sussex NHS this op s not routinely funded but still worth a try under exceptional circumstances. x

http://www.westsussex.nhs.uk/domain...edures_with_restrictions_2011_version_2.1.pdf

I have just been to see a female GP who was again reluctant to help me at all - she then went to speak to the doctor I originally saw last week and they have told me to come home and write a detailed account of how this affects me in daily life, emotionally, psychologically and physically. ....said to make it at least 1-2 A4 pages long

They said they will then put it to their panel who will decide If i can be referred for funding so I am not hopeful!

can anyone help me with this or advise me on how to write this please???

Just speak from the heart hun. Tell them how long you have suffered for and what effects this has on your every day life. Include some pictures too as this will really help. Make sure you include any health reasons it causes including mental heath and physical too eg skin rashes made worse from warmer days, any infections or thrush etc. Even if the details may seem small just cram as much as you can in there. You could even get your family members who can write something on your behalf too. Good luck hun xxx

Back