• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

December 2015 Surgeries

I agree beep, but I think it is important to embrace it if poss as it may ease the transit back to solid normal food. I did these weeks by the book, and got daily calls from my team's nutrition nurse ensuring I was doing what I should be. I remember towards end week 2 as I went back to work I felt soooo weak after two months in ketosis (and it was 30 degrees that summer) having been on v strict LSD for four weeks before surgery, straight after two weeks on Metronidazole which took away all my appetite ... I told her I'd bought a very low sugar protein shake to get some nutrition in. She ranted at me that I really did not need it ... Of course she was right. It is vital we do not caught up in focusing on nutrition after bypass surgery like checking how many grams of protein we have etc as we must let go of interest in foods and it becomes nothing more to us than a necessity. I know that seems impossible/unwise in the early days but as time goes by and the transit to solids is overcome, the weight loss is noticable, etc you will find that you think less and less about it. I am 2.5 years post bypass and I can hand on heart say that I do not enjoy meals anymore - partly because I thankfully cannot each much of them. I train awesome five times a week (2 x HIIT Circuits and 3 x Insanity Live) and have done for well over a year. I eat very little and have no issues at all with keeling over due to malnutrition. If I can be that active on such a minimal diet then anyone can get by daily, and 'needing' food is an excuse or a re-visit to old habits and beliefs. These early weeks are critical ... The bypass will take you where you need to go without much effort. So relax, lie back and enjoy the journey. You are all doing brilliantly xxxxxxx.

Hi girls you all sound like you're doing fantastic even if you're as bored of liquids like I am.

I still havent stopped being ill so I went to the hospital after vomiting blood. It's not been an amazing week, I've felt so weak and breathless, I haven't stopped feeling nauseous and now this nasty vomiting. Luckily they tested absolutely everything thoroughly and they gave me some medicine to take so I'm hoping this all makes a difference before I start work next week!

I hope you're all doing well and enjoying the Christmas period :)

Last edited:
Ladies,
I have to say I am pre op at the moment and have followed this thread from the start, I am truly inspired and have found your stories really helpful as I progress further towards my op. I would like to say a huge well done, you're all doing brilliantly and a huge thank you for keeping me going through my pre-pre-op milk diet! I'm holding out for a Feb surgery! Xx

Ladies, I have to say I am pre op at the moment and have followed this thread from the start, I am truly inspired and have found your stories really helpful as I progress further towards my op. I would like to say a huge well done, you're all doing brilliantly and a huge thank you for keeping me going through my pre-pre-op milk diet! I'm holding out for a Feb surgery! Xx

Aww I'm glad to hear that, I hope you get your Feb surgery :)

Good luck Tori. Hope you get a date confirmed soon. You will not regret it. It is the hardest thing I have ever done but the rewards are amazing and make it all worthwhile. If you have your op in February then you should be pretty much at target by this time next year and will be having a very different xmas to this one - and all for the better hun. Just think about your outfit for those parties etc. It is beyond our dreams ... Xxx

I hope so too, I've got my next appointment on 11th Jan to see the psychologist and be taken off the milk diet they put me on, then fingers crossed I should then have an appointment to see the surgeon and anaesthetist and then hopefully a date shall follow!
I just can't wait to be on the losers bench, I am under no illusions that it's going to be an easy time, but I'm so excited for what this year is to bring!
I shall continue to follow you all, I'm really enjoying checking in to see how everyone is and it's so supportive! Xx

Tori - I have a thread in the Gastric Bypass RNY: Inspirational phots before and after. It is titled Feeling Fit and Fabulous ... Take a look if you have the time x

Tori - I have a thread in the Gastric Bypass RNY: Inspirational phots before and after. It is titled Feeling Fit and Fabulous ... Take a look if you have the time x

Lilac,
I started reading last night, lady you are amazing and if I can do anywhere as well as you have I shall be very very proud! As I hope you are of your achievements .. I'm not full busted so it's unlikely that I will have the "tit" issues! ? it's more likely that I would need a bum and thigh lift as that's where I carry all of my weight! Which I've already been told thats not going to happen!! So am planning on joining the gym in the new year ?
I'm currently 1.5 stones down and I know that's never going back on again, I should really start taking a few before pics, just for myself for now! You are Truly inspirational and invaluable support to pre and post oppers! Xx

Awww thanks Tori. That means alot, it really does.

You know, my ever-critical mother called my large backside "a shelf". It has gone and yes I do have a bit of booty sag going on but hey, ... I made a decision to spare myself getting anything lifted other than my boobs and I will stick with that happily. Exercise will never cure saggy skin but it can make it look a whole heap better.

One step at a time Tori - let's get you onto the Losers' Bench first xxxx

Oh well it's New Year's Eve and I'm having to go back into hospital with dehydration as I'm finding it so difficult to get fluids down and keep it down :-(

Oh well it's New Year's Eve and I'm having to go back into hospital with dehydration as I'm finding it so difficult to get fluids down and keep it down :-(

Oh dear I'm sorry to hear that Caz :( you're not alone I'm going back to A and E this afternoon, second time this week. It's not fun is it? I take it neither of us will be partying hard this evening then!

This journey has definitely been a tough one so far but I'm not regretting it one bit, sorry to hear u are having trouble too summer hope u get that sorted in no time.
I know I have to go back and have my hole to my new pouch stretched in a couple of weeks and not looking forward to that! I thought that once I had the op done that would be it and I just had to learn what I can and can't eat. Just so hard.

Thanks nicci hope u are doing ok hun xx

I almost feel like my normal self again just need my energy levels up a little more then I will be fine I'm getting a little sick of puréed now the thought of eating puréed makes me feel sick I would eat normal food if I was allowed but got rules to stick to I suppose in the first 4 days I was sick of my life couldn't eat or drink I thought something was really a matter I'm already fitting in to clothes I haven't got in to in years I really hope the hospital help you that's been one of my concerns if I was poorly they would do anything have they said why you aren't able to keep anything down xx
Yes they did a dye test when I was still in hospital and the hole to my stomach is too small so they need to stretch it but they can't put a camera down as it will rip it's that small so causing a lot of pain when I try to get anything down, just hoping they don't need to re operate again xx

Thanks Tori, like Caz said, I don't regret my decision but I'm certainly questioning everything. I just want to stop feeling sick, I'm stressing out about how I'm going to be able to resume work. Oh well, I'll just see what the hospital says today.

Thanks Tori, like Caz said, I don't regret my decision but I'm certainly questioning everything. I just want to stop feeling sick, I'm stressing out about how I'm going to be able to resume work. Oh well, I'll just see what the hospital says today.
Let us know how u get on today Hun thinking of u xx

Hi guys. Just remember with the bypass there is a physical reason why we are sick in the early stages it may seem like it is all the time. It certainly was for me - probably six to nine months before I stopped being sick regularly. It is because we cannot get any quantity of anything down and certainly not at anything like the speed we used either. It takes a while for us to adjust to accepting what the tiny limit is - for example, we can never guzzle a drink again (I can't and I am 2.5yrs bypassed), and anything fizzy will just come straight back up unless we let it go flat - drinking from bottles and cans will not be possible, in my experience anyway. Fluids in the first weeks need to be sipped in tiny mouthful in order for them to stay down, and then foods in teaspoons (you will only manage a few). Once you feel full, the leftover food needs to be discarded as revisiting it once we have space is not what this is about!! Mine goes straight into the bin if I am at home, and if I am out then I empty the salt pot over what I have not eaten to ensure I do not continue to pick. Obviously if there is a surgical issue identified through tests which needs correcting then this will add additional problems. The limits are not rules, they are hard physical facts. Food and drink in any quantity is a thing of the past, but the consequent rewards are worth the goodbye! Come the late Spring/early Summer each and everyone of you will be considerably thinner and looking (and feeling) awesome, that it will all make sense.

I am here in a supportive way, as someone who knows exactly how it feels to seemingly no longer we able to eat and therefore feel terribly weak and generally 'unwell'. And I found the transit back to solid food hugely distressing and challenging, it seemed to be without end - everything I ate I regurgitated. It was ghastly! But I got through - I can now eat everything more or less, but in tiny quantities, so job done for me. The head stuff over the 2.5years has been the biggest surprise and challenge, and I continue to learn day to day - I think that probably all the long-termers on here would agree. We have been given an amazing tool to use as we see fit - we can crave our old life-style and needlessly and foolishly (sorry, but we would be fools!) gradually get back to stuffing ourselves into an early grave blaming the WLS for not working for us (??!!) or we can jump onboard this amazing gift of a journey and see where it takes us. I can honestly say that I do not regret my decision to have 3hrs of surgery in July 13, but by heck do regret not doing it sooner.

You are all doing brilliantly. Don't panic and try not to get too freaked by it - chill! Happy new year and new you, everyone xxxxxx

Last edited:
Back