• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Depression and self confidence

Hi Shelley Marie. I understand completely how you feel. I've been taking 40mg citilopram for nearly 3 years now. Most of the time they are great, but sometimes I still get the old symptoms. The good news is that I recognise the signs and you do too. You NEED to see your gp. Phone at 8am. Tell them its a very personal matter regarding mental health and that she is the only doctor you trust. Cry if you have too. They usually panic at the words mental health and make you an appointment immediately. If you need to take time off work to do it then so be it. It's either take an hour for an appointment now or the possibility of months off if things get worse. She will increase your dosage - which may make you feel a bit crappy for a few days/weeks. But after that you'll start to get back to normal. Good luck honey. You'll be fine. Xxx

Aw thanks Jules for the very understanding posts. The funny thing is I want to get on citalopram because it is meant help with OCD. Like you say a chemical imbalance that I've had in my brain as long as I can remember, I was officially diagnosed when I was 4 years old. MY GP agrees with me that it would be a good one for me to try as I've been on Effexor and Trazodone for years, which are strong ones for anti depression and anxiety but that doesn't feel that is the area I need to concentrate on. Plus every time I take the Effexor it makes me sick. I don't seem to bring the tablets back up but whether that is decreasing it's effect i don't know. Anyway I know I need to get this sorted soon. So thanks for you support and for everyone else's too. Think I need to stop being meek and start being stronger about what I need xxx

I strongly recommend citilopram. I've never had any problems with side effects, sickness, being drowsy or anything. Changing medication will usually make you feel a bit rubbish for the first few weeks. But as long as you know in advance and stuck with them, they may be ideal for you. Good luck and get it sorted!! :D x

Finally saw the doctor today and been given some anti sickness tabs as she doesn't believe I have a malabsorbtion problem but a problem that I kept being sick after taking my antidepressant. She doesn't think I've been getting any of it and basically went cold turkey on a medication you have to be weaned off. As well as the anti sickness, I've been given a new antidepressant, the citilopram I wanted to try. Starting on a low dose and will be increasing if necessary. I've got to go back and see in her in 3 weeks. Finally feel like I have a plan in place and hopefully I'll feel better soon :) Thanks again everyone for the advice :) x

Citalopram has been a marvel for my OCD tendancies and social anxieties. I feel the "problems" are still there but it's like I can't worry about them and don't care about them anymore! Going out in public and speaking to people are now fun things to do and not the absolute hell they once were.

I'm so pleased for you!! Just remember that you may feel worse for the first 2 weeks while the new medication beds in. But don't stop taking them!! You know what's coming, just work through it and then you'll come out the other end much much better for it. Well done for getting things sorted!! :D. Xxxxxxxx

Have just read through this thread shelleymarie... I am so sorry you have been going through such depression.. But am really pleased to read that you have managed to get your medication changed to something that hopefully will help.. If you ever need to talk pm me... I really have been there, and know how dark it can get...

Citalopram has been a marvel for my OCD tendancies and social anxieties. I feel the "problems" are still there but it's like I can't worry about them and don't care about them anymore! Going out in public and speaking to people are now fun things to do and not the absolute hell they once were.

Thanks wibble, that's good to know. I've had OCD so long now, I've had CBT for it a couple of times and that has made it so much easier than it was but I've never had medication that is meant to help with it. My friend who also suffers with it has been on Citalopram for a few months, after several bouts of CBT she is finding some real relief with this medication too so I'm hopeful. I think the mixture of the two can really help xxx

I'm so pleased for you!! Just remember that you may feel worse for the first 2 weeks while the new medication beds in. But don't stop taking them!! You know what's coming, just work through it and then you'll come out the other end much much better for it. Well done for getting things sorted!! :D. Xxxxxxxx

Thanks Jules, believe it or not I already feel better. A bit sicky and sleepy but my doc prescribed some anti sickness to combat the sickness and the anti sickness make me more tired. Good timing with my new job! but it's better than before. I think it's too early to be feeling the effects of the tablets mood wise but I think the hope they can help is giving me a lift and hopefully in the next couple of weeks I'll see a difference. Thanks again for the support xxx

Have just read through this thread shelleymarie... I am so sorry you have been going through such depression.. But am really pleased to read that you have managed to get your medication changed to something that hopefully will help.. If you ever need to talk pm me... I really have been there, and know how dark it can get...

Thanks Amanda, it's been really hard lately. It's such a shock after feeling on cloud nine for so long but unfortunately life gets in the way and wls doesn't cure everything going on in our head does it? It also doesn't stop horrible things happening. If only it did. Thanks for being there, and remember I'm here too. If you ever need to talk just pm me too. Take care hun and thanks again xxx

Thanks wibble, that's good to know. I've had OCD so long now, I've had CBT for it a couple of times and that has made it so much easier than it was but I've never had medication that is meant to help with it. My friend who also suffers with it has been on Citalopram for a few months, after several bouts of CBT she is finding some real relief with this medication too so I'm hopeful. I think the mixture of the two can really help xxx

Yep, the 2 together really helped me. Have to say though when I first started taking Citalopram it totally "zombified" me for about 6 weeks. Then it all clicked into place and I've not looked back (had it adjusted to deal with malabsorption issues). However, another colleague who started on it had no side-effects whatsover! I wish you all the best and there is daylight the other side xx

Hi all, with my weight loss and all the other things that have gone on lately like starting new job soon etc. I should be feeling really good but I have to admit I'm not. I'm struggling really bad. Some days I struggling to eat, or exercise. I can't often finish meals or get myself to the gym any more and this seems to have happened over the last month as I was feeling pretty good till then. Recently there has been talk about absorption of medication issues so I wondered if this might be happening with me. I've had OCD since I was 4 and depressed on and off since I was 14. I've been on anti depressants for the last 10 years and I'm wondering if they aren't being as absorbed as well or whether things are just taking a downward turn. The thing I don't understand is that last time I lost a lot of weight my confidence went through the roof, but this time I've lost a lot more and it doesn't seem to be increasing very much at all. I'm feeling low most of the time and sometimes dread having to go out to see people or work. Some of you may have read about a friend of mine that died in October and I guess I think it has been worse since then. We weren't very close but I'm still struggling with it but so many people were affected by her death I find I've no place in it. I know I need to see my GP but you wouldn't believe how hard it is to get an appointment with the my doctor. They won't do it in advance and when you ring on the day they can't give me my GP (I can't see another one, as my GP knows my circumstances bypass etc and researched it for me, other gp's at my surgery haven't a clue) or it's at times I'm working.
Anyway I just need to vent, I hope you don't mind. Do you think it could be absorption issues or maybe I just going through a bad patch?
Thanks for listening :)

Hi Shelley
Sorry to hear you're not feeling so good right now. It's easy to say "focus on what you've achieved", I know, and I don;t follow my own advice :( but I hope you get a handle on it soon :)

I am also concerned about my meds (also been on them for around 12 years now) and have just come off one med and started another, at the same time as having gallbladder removed.

I had not thought about malabsorption of meds tbh, but my pills didn;t seem to be keeping me level any more....

could that be the reason? if so I feel a bit sad now, cos I was also on Citalopram and got on well with it.... now back on Prozac cos I asked to change......

Last edited:
Back