• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Desperate for help

sahmummy

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone has ever had NHS funding in Scotland for a band? I am at teh stage where I am so desperate for help, it's really getting me down and taking over every waking thought. My wieght is now effecting my whole life in a really bad way, I don't like going out and wont go to any social events. I wont take part in physical things with the kids like swimming, soft play, things that they enjoy. I'm basically getting depressed about it. I feel rubbish and lethargic all the time. I've tried every diet you can think of with little or no success, I have little will power and even less self belief that I can do. Last year alone I joined WW, Scottish Slimmers, WW again and took Xenical 3 seperate times.

I did ask my GP a while ago now (around 2yrs ago) about a gastric band but was told they just didn't do it in my area but he would add me to the list of people who asked about it incase they ever did. I've had 4 kids, 3 c-section (one twin pg) all in 5yrs and have gone from 8st 7lb to 15st 10lb in about 6ish years. I have a massive overhang from the sections aswell which doesn't help. I would absolutely love to have a 12mth balloon or gastric band fitted and have thought about it for years now so it's not a snap decision. I don't have the funds to do it privately or believe me I would have just done it by now, I looked in to finance options but I am a stay at home mum so no chance of credit and my husband wont get credit either.

I've never relaly heard of anyone getting anything liek this done on the NHS in Scotland though, is it something that is done at all? Does it depend on area ect? My bmi is 40 and I have a heart rythm problem so im pretty sure I fit the NICE criteria.

Please help, im desperate.

Hi there. I'm not sure how you would go about sorting nhs funding out as I know nothing in that area.
What I do know is that wls is not a magic solution and will not make everything magically sort itself out.
It's a long haul once it's done and if you feel that you have body image and depression issues now, the root cause of this is likely to affect you if you do go ahead with th op.
It's so easy for me to sit here and say this but you need to get out with the kids, the physical activity will stop the lethargy.
And if you feel will power is a struggle for you, you're still going to need it if you have a band.
Why don't you commit yourself to loosing, say half a stone and then deciding if you want to pursue this?
I soooooo know how you are feeling, and know that you probably think that it's ok for me cos I've got my band, buti wish someone had told me that it's not magic and it doesn't solve all my problems.
Good luck however you get on x

depends where you are in scotland let us know what region u are?
i have just been approved but nhs scotland use different rules in different areas most of them will want you to go through a weight management programme and you have to be reffered for that through your gp some areas are also starting to use the teir system which mines does and im afraid its a long process and your not guarenteed to progress through the levels if you want more info let me know

Thanks so much for the replies. Totally know what you mean about the depression and things, I wouldn't say im actually depressed as such just feel low on body confidence, I used the wrong words really. Im not depressed or low in any other area of my life, just the weight. t's not something I would ever just jump in to and relaise the repocussions of doing something so drastic, it's something i've been thinking of and looking in to for at least 3yrs now. The only diet that ever worked for me was drastic (Cambridge) but the dr wont allow me back on that as it's contraindicated with my heart rythm problem, I kind of need drastic if you see what I mean?

Im in South Lanarkshire, I asked my doc a couple years back and he said they didn't do it in my area at all but surely that can't be right? I have an app with the gp on Thurs so I can ask about it again but be a little more pushy this time.

xxx

Hi,

I live in Glasgow and had a BMI of 40, when i went to see the GP she said she was happy to refer me privately but i was no where near the criteria for NHS funding! No real co-morbidities (other then a clotting factor, very mild risk), so i had to bite the bullet and pay.
I am 8 months out, have lost 3 1/2 stone which i am happy about, but i still live with my demons and can still binge and to be honest can still eat the quantities i could, so it's not a quick fix.
Give then NHS a shot, it can't harm asking.
HTH
Claire x

Hi,

Thanks for the replies (I did reply yest but it's never shown up here!). I am aware that it's not a quick fix, it's been around 3yrs of looking in to it that's brought me to this stage. Im not depressed, im just low about my body and guess most people on here could relate to that feeling. I live in South Lanarkshire and would love more info thanks xx

Back