• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Diabetes Medication & Weight Gain

PinkyButtonz

My Gp is thinking of putting me on another medication for my diabetes. At the moment I am on Metformin.

One of the side affect of the new tablet is weight gain :eek:. Any one encountered this problem?

She also talked about the possibilty of me taking Insulin.

Can remember, she reeled the name off quickly and said said affect was weight gain. I think I was just focused on the weight gain after that.

Probably gliclazide - This will increase your production of insulin. Unfortunately this does have the side effect of gaining weight as more insulin means you process and store the sugars/carbs more.

Probably gliclazide - This will increase your production of insulin. Unfortunately this does have the side effect of gaining weight as more insulin means you process and store the sugars/carbs more.

That name does ring a bell.

I worry because I'm already on steroids and they have contributed to my weight, when I was on a higher dose. I'm trying to avoid them being increased again, but its a possability. When they put them above a certain level my appetite increases dramaticly.

Hi my friend was taking gliclazide and put on weight. She has now stopped it and has managed to loose it although it was a struggle for her. If your concerned discuss with your GP to see if there is anything else you could try.

Glicazide also made a friend of mine gain over half a stone in 2 weeks, so she put her foot down and now the doctor has given her Prandine and that seems to be ok.

Hi Everybody
I was on Metformin for my diabetes but the tablets were like horse tablets and every time I took them they made me heave and throw up , so they put me on competact pioglitazone(as hydrochloride) metformin hydrochloride 15mg/850mg one twice a day and diamicron80mg one twice a day . And I`v been on Xenical from Jan and I can`t seam to be able to loose weight . Good luck and take care .
MARGARET XX

Glicazide also made a friend of mine gain over half a stone in 2 weeks, so she put her foot down and now the doctor has given her Prandine and that seems to be ok.

Well I'm having none of that.
Prandial and I'm not sure you can take with of instead of Metformin.

I'll talk go her at the Diabetic Clinic on the 9th.

Hi Everybody
I was on Metformin for my diabetes but the tablets were like horse tablets and every time I took them they made me heave and throw up , so they put me on competact pioglitazone(as hydrochloride) metformin hydrochloride 15mg/850mg one twice a day and diamicron80mg one twice a day . And I`v been on Xenical from Jan and I can`t seam to be able to loose weight . Good luck and take care .
MARGARET XX

I know exactly what you mean about the size of the metformin! Its like swallowing a golfball! Ive also been on xenical since about jan too and so far no weight lost :( How do/did you find your blood sugar levels on the metformin? Mine were all over the show!

Thanks :) at first mine was 19 :O but its down to 14 now hopefully even lower as the metformin was increased - still bad though :(

hi i have found metformin very good at bringing my blood sugars down and i lost weight with metformin as have a lot of diabetics i know, but when i was put on glicazide as well the weight loss stopped and a increase began i am to go on to byetta which is known to course weight loss but can only be used by type 2 dieabetics not type 1 it also is injected as insulin is through a pen device with a metered dose i take 4 x 500mg of metformin a day they work for me but after my bypass the need for them should decrease my consultant tells me
regards rambo

Having WLS surgery is no absolute guarantee to send diabetes into remission. Some peeps are lucky and have this and some still need to take medication.

The symptons should definitely improve though and blood sugar should be far more stable.

its as cazbandy say there is no absolute guarantee that diabetes will disapear completly for some lucky ppl it has but by no means for all of us,, but as the weight comes of less medication MAY be needed.
i am due in to have a bypass in sept 09
regards rambo

Hiya. My GP put me on a tablet called Avandamet which I think is a combo of glitazide(sp) and metformin. He said if he had his way I'd be on insulin. My hba1c is 8.4

My consultant took me off the avandamet as said it'd cause weight gain and increased my metformin. Now even they're talking about insulin which will most likely make me gain too.

I know if I ate properly I wouldn't need so much Met (currently taking 5 a day=2,500mg). I am having wls and I hope and pray it will diminish my need for meds. I also have high BP.

Back