• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Facial hair

Twiggie

About a year go I noticed I was starting to sprout a few hairs around my neck and jawline, just under my chin. Horrified, I started plucking them out as I had visions of turning into the bearded lady!! :8855:

Not sure whether it's because I keep plucking them out but they are getting thicker each time they grow back and becoming more noticeable. I'm very dark haired anyway and have always had a battle with upper lip hair (a few of those have become quite thick too) :eek:

Do you think this is due to age (43) hormones or obesity?

Anyone else have the same problem?

Will they disappear after surgery?

Can I get them lasered away?

I have the same problem, mine is due to polysyctic ovarian syndrome.

I get mine waxed fortnightly - neck, chin and upper lip.

So far I haven't noticed any change since surgery, but I am ever hopeful. If not I will be going for laser, I have had a consultation at sk:n after a male friend had laser on his face and now doesn't shave anymore. It is expensive tho. I think electrolisis is cheaper.

Rx

Hi Twiggie,

I don't know if it's caused by my weight but I had the same thing (on the jaw line) - started plucking them and apparently that stimulates the growth. Had 5 treatments of laser over the last year and all gone :) Might need to have 1 or 2 a year just to keep them at bay but it's always lovely and smooth. Laser only works on dark hair...the darker the better in fact - sounds like it will be good for you. If you live near the Whittington you could go to Sk:n in East Finchley...that's where I go and they are lovely.

L x

Hi, I also suffer with this due to having polycystic ovaries. I have Intense Pulsated Light (IPL) treatment (like laser treatment) and it's working really well, it's thinner and takes longer to come back each time, will eventually only have to go once or twice a year.
X

Hi Twiggie,

I don't know if it's caused by my weight but I had the same thing (on the jaw line) - started plucking them and apparently that stimulates the growth. Had 5 treatments of laser over the last year and all gone :) Might need to have 1 or 2 a year just to keep them at bay but it's always lovely and smooth. Laser only works on dark hair...the darker the better in fact - sounds like it will be good for you. If you live near the Whittington you could go to Sk:n in East Finchley...that's where I go and they are lovely.

L x

I wondered whether I was making it worse by plucking them out :eek:

I don't actually live in London, although it wouldn't be much of a problem to visit when I'm down at Whittington for an appt. However, there's a laser clinic at my GP's surgery so would be far easier to go there. I think I'll call them tomorrow to find out more about it :)

Thanks for replying guys, makes me feel so much better knowing I'm not alone or some sort of a freak ;)

i have had this problem for years and have plucked...no change in amount or thickness from that though.

I am over a year out, lost over 6 stone and still no difference but have now found out its hereditary to be beardy.

Now where did I put then pluckers.....???:eek:

Ahhh my mum was a snipper (tiny nail scissors) so it obviously is hereditary in my case. I remember she also had a mole on her face which sprouted hairs!! :eek:

Hi Twiggie,

L x

I have been to Skin for laser treatment very expensive but if u have a course of treatments then it will deg help.
Twiggie does not live near east finchely quite a long way from there lol x

I was put on the Dianette pill for the hair growth I was getting with PCOS. I took it for about 6 months and it reduced the growth and regulated my periods until surgery. Now GP has put me on Yasmin which has similar results but is not as strong. I am again having to pluck and wax less and I have only taken it for two months so far.

Twiggie I'm the same and I pluck them too. I have noticed everything getting hairier since the op, I'm assuming it's down to hormones? :confused: Seeing my gp on Friday so might ask her about it then.

Cuppa xx

I have PCOS too which did get better when I lost the weight.I use an epilator which is cheap and easy. if you do it every few days it barely hurts as the hairs are so fine.

I to have PCOS and have the same problem, mines under my chin and top lip, reall pain the bum. Seeing how im a big girls blouse i need a pain free or near as poss treatment:) Wish me luck in finding it:)

Sharon xx

Mine is due to PCOS. Its so bad that I ended up having to shave it off as waxing couldn't pull them out they are that thick. They grow so fast I should have a shave every other day. Laser is a possibility as is IPL. Have a google about both procedures.

I have unfortunately been told mine wont improve with weight loss, so will eventually...when I can afford to, look at permanent solutions. I just know they are sooooooooo expensive x

What are the other symptoms of pcos if you don't mind me asking?

Cuppa xx

i have pcos and normally shaved twice a day! but since being out ive had my faced waxed once and its coming through at the mo but not as bad :) i have looked in to lazer treastment and in some places if ur gp gives u a covering letter saying u have pcos they give u a 50% discount.. im defo going for it when im nearer my target w8.. and yes a someone said the darker the hairs the better and u can shave in between (but not wax or pluck) hth xx

My symptoms were excessive facial hair, no periods in years, no fertility, skin pigmentation, excessive weight gain.

I'm getting zapped with the pulsating light thingy at the moment. I have had 2 sessions out of a course of 6 and its definatley better. I pay £50 for my upper chin/neck and upper lip ( where I have only very few hairs) and it costs me £50.00 a session so should work out much cheaper and quicker than electrolysis.
It is a stings for a moment but the whole session takes less than 10 minutes,

Back