• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Feel a Fraud

I was also the smallest on the day of surgery by quite a bit. I had my surgery filmed and the camera man even said to me i looked quite svelte and he didn't see why i was having surgery..very nice of him lol but i was still 5 stones over weight and diabetic!!.
I was the smallest in my slim class too(course we have to do before we get surgery) and i remember leaving the class and the next class were waiting to go in and 2 larger ladies were discussing me saying look at her she doesn't need to come here, i'd love to be her size blah blah blah.....i may not of been as big as them and i have skinny legs BUT i have been diabetic now for over 10 yrs and it was getting out of control and recent arrival of high cholestral and high blood pressure.....you'd think they'd know not to judge a book by it's cover but hey ho no. I wouldn't worry, if your surgeon is happy to operate and your happy it's nothing to do with anyone else xx

It all goes to show, we shouldn't judge a book by its cover, we can't tell what is happening inside, and the smaller ones may have worse health than the bigger ones. You would think we would learn, but I admit thinking the two girls (who seems ditsy on day one) of million £ drop would go home with nothing as they seemed 'dumb blonds' £50K later and I publicly apologise to them.

like me your only dinky, and 5 stone on us is like 8 plus on someone of average height and above
I had never thought of it like this Dawn, very good thank you. I have more than 5 stone to loose but am short, so my 8 or so looks like 11+

Kat I actually felt sorry for your story and had a pang of guilt that I am getting, hopefully a bypass, on the NHS. Keep positive and you will get there, maybe slower than with a bypass, but maybe with less 'leftover' problems that rapid weightloss can leave.

Kat and Dawn I think we should start and 'under 5's' Club !!

Think of it as you've recognised you have a weight problem before you get to the wheelchair/crutches stage and the reason you need surgery is because you want to do something positive before you get to that stage.
Thats what I did, after 20+ years of failed diets (even with dietary changes) I then had 2 x courses of xenical (worsened IBS) and 2 x courses of reductil (raised BP) and 1 x rimonobant (accomplia) and I was getting nowhere fast so I had to finally admit to myself that surgery might be my only option, since had a sleeve gastrectomy and no regrets so far.

Good luck with your journey

penguina, i think thats a great idea, the under 5s, lol, but when you think of it, its right isnt it, my bmi was slightly over 40, and someone of say.... 5ft 5, would have to be weigh a lot more than i did to have the same bmi, i was only 13st 5, which a lot of ppl would to weigh, but i was very overweight, im now 8st 9, and am almost at an ideal weight, another half stone or so and i should be there. lol, i keep thinking of the under 5s, i think thats great. big hugs xxx

I wouldn't worry about it, the person who pays for the op is the one who decides if you need it, whether that's a nhs pct or your own funds! We all have wls as a last resort, because other things have failed us, without it we can only get worse.

Having said that, i know how you feel. Whilst waiting for my surgery a very good friend of mine (although then a passing acquaintance) was also waiting and mine came first. I felt very guilty as my mobility and health (apart from type two diabetes) was a heck of a lot better than hers and i felt she should have been a priority.

To me the way who gets surgery and when is the only bug bear i have with the system, there should be a fast track for those in dire need of it!

You have your surgery and take the chance you've been given in both hands, don't listen to other people, instead listen to your body when the improvements come, because they will xxx

Back