• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Food Apathy

StephieAck

I know Ive changed!
I am almost four months post-op and I have developed total food apathy!!!
I am almost never hungry and even when I am food holds no appeal to me and it is a job to actually think of things to eat and to want to cook anything or to even eat it.
I still make sure I have my meals and make sure they are well balanced and I aim for very high protein and low fat foods and I do my very very best, but to be honest, if I didnt have to eat at all I would be perfectly happy.
I do love that food holds no magical power over me now, food is what got me to the point of needing a bypass and I am glad that mentally I am free of it, but I do wish that I was more interested in food.
I dont even have desires for 'naughty' foods, I dont want chocolate or sweets or cakes or anything, they hold no desire to me, I didnt even nearly want pancakes when I made them for hubby. I dont east bread or pastry or anything like that any more and I truly dont miss them or want them.
Its a funny old journey really isnt it lol
Steph xx

Lucky you Steph. I had my surgery 2 months ago and still get hungry and can tolerate most foods (even bread). I still think about food that I am going to eat at mealtimes but like to think I make more sensible choices now.

Hey Steph,
Must be so so weird to feel like that about food when previously it had such a hold! I really can't imagine it.
Maybe in time you will develop a healthy interest in food but not be ruled by it. x

It will get better sweetheart - i was were you are now and i bitterly regretted having my bypass not because i wanted to eat lots of food but i just wanted to enjoy what little i was eating. Other bypassers gave me lots of encouragement and told me that things would get better (but you only half believe). I am 8 months post op and over the last 4-6 weeks i have started to enjoy what food i have eaten and it is nice not to feel that eating is a chore. So hang on in there and i am sure you all will be in a more comfortable and enjoyable place with your bypass in the future.

Sending hugs and fairy dust to help you through this time xx

I am almost four months post-op and I have developed total food apathy!!!
I am almost never hungry and even when I am food holds no appeal to me and it is a job to actually think of things to eat and to want to cook anything or to even eat it.
I still make sure I have my meals and make sure they are well balanced and I aim for very high protein and low fat foods and I do my very very best, but to be honest, if I didnt have to eat at all I would be perfectly happy.
I do love that food holds no magical power over me now, food is what got me to the point of needing a bypass and I am glad that mentally I am free of it, but I do wish that I was more interested in food.
I dont even have desires for 'naughty' foods, I dont want chocolate or sweets or cakes or anything, they hold no desire to me, I didnt even nearly want pancakes when I made them for hubby. I dont east bread or pastry or anything like that any more and I truly dont miss them or want them.
Its a funny old journey really isnt it lol
Steph xx

Hi Steph

I feel the same as you lol!! I am just over three months post op.

It feels like not long ago I was still trying things out and making mistakes, but this past couple of weeks the food apathy you talk of has crept up on me.

I cook large amounts of healthy things and freeze most of it to stock up - but the last "cook in" I did, I ended up freezing the lot, cos I could not face eating it. I find myself turning now more to milk (which I hated after the pre-op milk diet lol!) and cottage cheese or "no-pastry" quiche - also Atkins Advantage bars which I can nibble and which are high protein and virtually no sugar.

Just bought the "Biggest Loser" family cookbook to hopefully stir my interest in cooking again :)

It is a strange journey - it seems to be divided into stages - and I am wondering where we will end up :D

I cannot stand eating now and I used to love to cook and now I just cannot be bothered most of the time. I cannot think of one particular food that makes me want to eat anymore. I more eat because I have to now. Such a huge change in my life. I do hope I will eventually enjoy food again.

Hi Steph - I dont know if you are bloody lucky or Im bloody unlucky...it seems I have the opposite you and always have :)

Ahh well these things are sent to test us :)

"no-pastry" quiche

It is a strange journey - it seems to be divided into stages - and I am wondering where we will end up :D

Where is the recipe for this hun? Pleaseeeeee

Is there anything you guys do instead? Buy more handbags etc?

This is a very interesting thread, because I can't relate to it at all. How odd that I am also 3 months out and yet (still) have a big interest in food and am finding it difficult to stop myself from over indulging. I'm not eating the naughty stuff but still finding I can eat larger portions of the high protein and to some extent "carby" foods than I should be.

Could it be down to lifestyle? I very rarely know when I'm going to be out and about workwise, neither do I know if I'm going to be late home. Consequently I find I buy in foods that are quick to prepare as well as things that I would rather eat that take longer to cook. Sometimes the temptation to eat both is too strong...:confused:

There are times that I wish I could just ignore foods but I still find new foods and preperation methods fascinate me.

I guess we are never satisfied...:D

Thanks for the replies xxx
I do still enjoy the tastes of foods when I have them, ie I love cheesy things and latte (ok not a food) is so yummy, its just the desire to actually have them that Im not having.
I still love my bypass and dont resent it one bit but I do want the desire to actually eat to come back and Im sure that it will.
Thanks guys xx
Steph xx

Well i havent had anything really apart from chocolate that i carnt eat. I wish that i didnt still feel hungry sometimes, this journey we are all on is filled with challenges and how i suppose we react to them, i do get hungry still and about 3 months out now, i also cannot decide what to eat or whether i want to eat either, certain times of the day also play a part for me to. I would like to say that i choose better things to eat but not always.

Ah well thats life full of challenges for us all:)

Sharon xxx

Well it would be rude to read and run, but hey it's still early days for me. I find myself surfing for recipes and ideas, and I do enjoy what I cook, but I am surprised at how little I eat. My freezer is working overtime. Apathetic about food? Mmm I will keep an eye out and see how that goes for me. Great thread, we newbies need to know what might be around the corner, so thank you to all who have commented.

John, I was the same up until the last couple of weeks, I felt that I ate way too much and was quite concerned about my capacity for food but it changed quite suddenly and so it has suprised me. My capacity is now really quite low again so I have to make sure that I eat protein rich 'snacks' to make sure I get enough in.
Im quite glad that my capacity has gone down again.
I think that admitting your issues is the first step in changing things and I am going to actively learn how to cook a good healthy soup and good healthy protein rich stews and cook up batches of them and then freeze them to get me through this patch.
Steph xx

This is quite a rollercoaster we're on! Thanks for that, I guess we just have to expect the unexpected on this journey. xx

Back