• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Balloon Consultation

woodsykd2003

Hello Everyone!

I am due to go and have a consultation with The Hospital Group for a Gastric Balloon next Monday.

Does anybody know what this will consist of (from start to finish)? Im a bit nervous!

:confused:

Can't help I'm afraid but welcome to this fab site.x

Hiya hun - Im not 'up' on the balloon proceedure, but I know the average weight loss is between 1.5-2 stone loss?

Hun I personally have no experience with The Hospital Group but I've heard many bad stories on this forum about their aftercare service. Might be worth asking people for their experiences.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi

There is only 1 person that I know of on here that had a balloon, she has gone on to have a sleeve. Her name on here is blondemoment, hopefully she will see this :D

Hi Woodsykd2003,

I have had the balloon like Mazza said,not sure what you want to know but ask away i will answer what i can :D.

Some things for starters that might help.

You can only have the balloon for 6 months due to the stomach acid eroding the balloon.

From a personal point of view i found it better to have a local anesthetic to have the balloon inserted,which entails you lying on your side and a tube being inserted into your mouth and down into your stomach then saline is put into the balloon to
inflate it.
I was in hospital for 3 days but some people are out the same day depends on whether you are private and the pct area you live in.

You will be sick for the first few days,sorry but you will,i think its your bodies defences trying to get rid of the intruder as to say :(

The diet is the same as any WLS,fluids to start with ,then sloppy foods and finally crisp and crunchy.
You arent restricted in what you eat after you stomach has settled down,by which i mean you could still eat the wrong foods eg,chips,pizza and mac donalds :p(not adviseable),as the whole point of having the balloon is to help you loose weight,it is a really good learning tool to help you eat smaller meals.

I lost just over 3st in 6 months some people have lost more,everyone is different.
I had the balloon to help me loose weight as i had a failed bypass due to a fatty liver,and i didnt want to go through that again :(.

Hope this helps anything else you want to know, like i said please ask

Good Luck.

xx

Oooh interesting to see your weight loss - Im glad I stand corrected. When googling this topic not too long ago - people sated that they had lost 2 stone and no more. Im glad I stand corrected :)

Oooh interesting to see your weight loss - Im glad I stand corrected. When googling this topic not too long ago - people sated that they had lost 2 stone and no more. Im glad I stand corrected :)

Sorry Salski i didnt notice you had said that,the nurse told me on the day of my balloon coming out some people dont loose anything,not sure how tho,i guess thats where still eating the wrong foods comes into it :eek:.
But there have been other people on the forum that have lost upto about 4/5st.

The other thing to point out though is some people put the weight back on after the balloon has been taken out as they go back to the,dare i say,"old habits".I must admit thats what i was worried about but i had my gastric sleeve quite quickly afterwards :D.

xx

Back