• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Band instead of Sleeve?

mills0907

Hi, I have opted to have the Gastric Band against the better judgement of the surgeon and psychiatrist who have both suggested that I am a perfect candidate for the sleeve, but the thought of this terrifies me. My psychiatrist even said, quote "you do like to make things hard on yourself don't you?" :confused:

Has anyone regretted having the band?

Not for a second :) was banded in feb this year, personally the thought of bypass scared me !! ok so band isn't the easy option, my hubby always say i make it hard on myself, story of my life lol anyway so far i'm 14 weeks post op and almost 4 1/2 stone down since the start of my pre op diet. So for me its going great............. i wish you all the very best, it takes determination and the will to succeed but its very rewarding too :) x x x

a lot of surgeons/hospitals dont like banding now thats why they suggest sleeves bypass as they are seeing to many revisions but i dont see why as obviously not everyone needs the revision

Hi, Thanks for your replies. Wow, you are both doing amazing with your weight loss. Did you have the sleeve Adele?
I just want restriction, control and freedom from my huge portions and binge eating. I hope the band is the way to go.

I had a bypass band was never even on my radar I was bypass or sleeve if they couldn't do either I would not have had it done

My dietician tried to convince me a bypass was the better option for me and my eating style but I was adamant I wanted band. I felt it fitted my life better. Time will tell if I was right to stick to my guns!! X

Personally I would go with what your surgeon recommended.

There is a reason why he has recommended the sleeve for you - he thinks its the best thing for YOU.

See if you can talk things over with him again and try to get an understanding why he suggested the sleeve.

The band does work but can take time to reach adequate restriction. The sleeve is restriction only too but many don't experience hunger after the sleeve.

When I had my band my BMI was in the thirties, had it have been 40 or even 50 plus, I would of thought about a different option. That's just my personal view.

Good luck xx

My dietician tried to convince me a bypass was the better option for me and my eating style but I was adamant I wanted band. I felt it fitted my life better. Time will tell if I was right to stick to my guns!! X

Thanks for your reply :) I know it's early days but how are you finding the band?

Personally I would go with what your surgeon recommended.

There is a reason why he has recommended the sleeve for you - he thinks its the best thing for YOU.

See if you can talk things over with him again and try to get an understanding why he suggested the sleeve.

The band does work but can take time to reach adequate restriction. The sleeve is restriction only too but many don't experience hunger after the sleeve.

When I had my band my BMI was in the thirties, had it have been 40 or even 50 plus, I would of thought about a different option. That's just my personal view.

Good luck xx

Thanks for your reply. In some ways I know the sleeve will also be a very good option for me, it's just the fear of having such a major organ tampered with that scares me.

If it's any help one of my reasons for choosing the band was because you have to work harder at it & it gave me the chance to make long term behavioural changes with food

After a colossal amount research on the band I was adamant that's what I should get. However after meeting with both the dietitian and then the surgeon they both recommended that I seriously consider the sleeve.

I'm now 18 weeks post sleeve, with not one single regret.

Its all personal choice to which option you choose, I was banded in January, losing every week, its hard work but if you follow the plan you will have a good weight loss. I had in infill yesterday and women in the waiting room were moaning about not losing weight, when they tell you what they have eaten you understand why! It works if you work with it.

I was banded 10 years ago and for the first 8 years all was good... dreadful for the last 2 though....

had it removed last Wednesday after having been with no restriction for the past 2 years but still vomiting everytime I ate anything salad like or a vegetable..

I wasn't honest about my sweet tooth and if you have one then the band is NOT the right tool to have..

The band was without doubt the biggest mistake I ever made as I never achieved my ideal weight ..

my starting bmi was 46 and in hindsight I should have had the bypass /sleeve

if you have been told by a surgeon and a psychologist that the sleeve is the best option then I would think long and hard about your choice.. they tend to know what is best as is their job to weigh up all the facts relevant to your case in a completely unbiased way..

good luck with whatever you choose and I hope it works for you xx

Back