• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Band Vs Sleeve

The money scared me too Sonnie.

Marcus can obviously speak about his own personal experience, which was a really rotten one. I have to say, it was stories like Marcus has told that put me off the band - just like you're feeling now.

However, since then I have seen that the band can be successful, and there's some real success on this forum - but the unpredictability of it and the complications that I've seen, would still mean that if I had my time again, I would still opt for the sleeve.

As soon as I realised the sleeve was the best 'for me', I explained everything to my hubby and he was happy to pay the extra £2,500. If you gather all the information and present it to your parents - you never know.

I want being funny. I just wanted to say that there are some successes so that anyone reading wasnt freeked out.

That's what I was saying Jib. There are so many 'band successes' on here, along with one of my very good friends who has had phenomenal success. It just wasn't for me.

Oh god!!! Are you ok now? I'm slowly more and more going against the band! I would much rather the gastric sleeve. But it's the price that's stopping me at the moment. My mum can't see that the medical world evolves and what was once the best thing since sliced bread is now considered not so great!

Please pick the surgery that is right for you, not your mum. As much as it's a lovely thing she is doing this for you, the choice is for you.

Could you take your mum to an education seminar? Show her websites with band vs sleeve vs bypass to show the differences and long term results. Show her Bands cost more in the long run with fills. I believe some are around £150 a go. A sleeve is done for ever.

Operation time you are knocked out for the same length of time, if she's worried about that part.

Revision surgery privately can cost around £12,000. So it's important you chose the right one for you.

Educate your mum on the different operations, many people hear 'gastric' and presume band. As the media seems to love a good band story. So people think a band is the most common and best procedure.

Failing that, Could you not raise the difference in price yourself? So your mum still pays the same cost? Even if it means waiting longer than you initially wanted?

Good luck with whatever you chose to do xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Oh god!!! Are you ok now?
I'm slowly more and more going against the band! I would much rather the gastric sleeve.
But it's the price that's stopping me at the moment.

My mum can't see that the medical world evolves and what was once the best thing since sliced bread is now considered not so great!

I'm slowly getting my health back after band removal. I'm three days away from starting my second pre-op this year for conversion surgery.

I wish I'd gone for the sleeve rather than the band back in 2007 when I had the first surgery. While 80% of bands have no complication I think that 20% is too high a risk.

The total cost (approx):

Band (Singapore): £3,800
Band fills (Singapore): £300
Further examinations (Singapore): £250
Barium swallow (UK): £150
Band removal (Belgium): £1400*
Gastric bypass (Belgium): £6100* (£7500 total with approximate division in price, an additional £4600 was covered by insurance)

Total: £12000

+ travel, accommodation etc of approximately £2,000

Do note I lived in South East Asia at the time of having the original surgery.

Throw into that health complications due to band disrupting work resulting in losing a job and a year unable to work. To minimise losses I was forced to move back to my family - a rather uncomfortable and awkward situation.

There are many, many sides to this and many, many consequences.

On this forum we have ballooners, wrappers, banders, sleevers and bypassers.

We have members that have revised from all of the above, for a variety of reasons and those that have had problems and continue to do without revising. Also, we have many, many successful members - long term ones too.

If your thinking about the balloon, consider what you will do when its removed to maintain your weight loss. They are usually only in place for six months.

If your thinking of a band, think aftercare. Fills etc should be part of this so no extra cost there. The band is a restrictive only procedure but can be converted and/or is reversible. There can be complications (slippage, wrong position, port problems etc and some more serious as in marcus's case), patients can also fail to lose enough weight, either by not sticking to a healthy eating regime or that restriction alone does not work for them.

Sleeve is also restrictive only. It can be converted to a bypass to achieve greater loss, ie if the patient hasn't lost enough. We have had members who have had problems with leaks and strictures. Strictures are fairly easy to resolve, leaks not so much. Both thankfully are rare. We have had a number of members convert to bypass and a number who have regained almost all of their weight. Again, both rare and with the regains pushing the boundaries and stretching the new smaller stomach have been a factor.

The bypass is restrictive AND you physically do not absorb 100% of what you eat. With the bypass, think vitamins. Think also that the bypass seems to have a window of opportunity, ie it can be harder to lose/maintain after a certain period. Conversley we have had some memebers who lose too much and cannot maintain a healthy weight. Some (not many at all) members have had a reversal of sorts because of the excess weight loss. Some, have had a revision to decrease the pouch size, due to dilation or have had a band added or a fobi ring.

The wrap is favoured abroad although there are some surgeons in the UK that do them. We have a few members who have done really well and are maintaining. We have had members who have gone abroad and when they needed help etc were turned away, we have had members who changed their minds and were reversed more or less straight away. We have members who have had surgery but it has made no difference and they have not lost weight and sought a revision.

If your having any of the above, consider which will be best for you and discuss this with your surgeon.

There are things that can wrong, there is the chance that you may not lose the weight you want to.

Go into this with an open mind, don't just go for the option you can afford. Save for the one you should have. Research, research, research.

Good luck xx

Thank you everyone.
I have my heart set on the sleeve and fingers crossed maybe one day I can get it done x

Thank you everyone.
I have my heart set on the sleeve and fingers crossed maybe one day I can get it done x

While bands can work for some people I added the details so you can quote me should it help with your justification. Best of luck.

Sonnie - the other surgery not mentioned is the MGB or mini gastric bypass that I had.... It is certainly worth you looking it to this also as its a good in between and works on restriction ( sleeve type pouch ) plus a shorter bypass so you absorb fewer calories.... I had mine in Belgium, very easy indeed, and it cost around £6000.

Sonnie - the other surgery not mentioned is the MGB or mini gastric bypass that I had.... It is certainly worth you looking it to this also as its a good in between and works on restriction ( sleeve type pouch ) plus a shorter bypass so you absorb fewer calories.... I had mine in Belgium, very easy indeed, and it cost around £6000.

May I ask who was your surgeon?

Back