• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Bypass - Someone please tell me it gets better!!!

Auntie Bee

Hi All,

Sorry to be a moan, but i'm finding things very tough!

I'm 4 weeks post op and i'm finding it very difficult to get anything into me! I've tried some soft food and it gives me nothing but pain and vomitting! Someone please tell me things do get better!!! :sigh::cry:

Hi there, not a Bpasser but I think they will say that you are very very early days yet. Your body is still healing...and that it does get better with time:);)

Hi chick sorry your struggling just now but I promise it does get better, its a whole new way of life to adjust to and you have had major surgery which needs time to heal. I wanted to fast forward the clock a few months and once you get to that stage you almost forget you have had surgery I know I do....((hugs)) chin up and stick with it...xx

Auntie Bee, that's awful. Maybe you are tring to speed things up a bit my hospital recommends that you stay on liquids for 4 weeks then liquidised/pureed food for for a further 4 weeks. Perhaps you should go back to liquids for a time so that any swelling settles down then attempt pureed food slowly. I think a quick call to your bariatric team would help too. Good luck Auntie Bee, Zxx

Hia, yes it does get better!

Are you making sure you take tiny bites? Aim for the size of a pencil-top rubber! Also, chew till liquid. Eat slowly, and stop when you start to feel full.

Hia, yes it does get better!

Are you making sure you take tiny bites? Aim for the size of a pencil-top rubber! Also, chew till liquid. Eat slowly, and stop when you start to feel full.

Bang on! I visualize my new plumbing and the small apertures food have to travel through. I am still in the fluids stage as Zetacatty mentions, but will be moving to sloppy/pureéd stage this coming Friday.

I'll be chewing, pressing, sucking the food until it is liquid to ensure it can travel through the apertures OK.

Hiya hun
I am so sorry to hear that you are struggling- I promise that things do get better...it is probably still very early days for you- your body is still healing.
Have you phoned your bariatric team and asked them for any advice? As others have said maybe sticking to liquids for the time being might help?, but if this is how you are feeling then I would phone and get some advice.
I found it hard to eat a lot in the early stages after my surgery because it takes a long time for the body to heal and the swelling to go down, but if you are vomiting aswell then maybee you should phone your bariatric team for some advice.
I hope you feel better soon :grouphugg:
:party0011: Xxx em xxX :party0011:

Contacting your team seems good advice from the others Bee as it wont be good for you to be vomitting on a daily basis Also seems like it would be sensible to keep on fluids till you speak to your team

Hope it sorts out allright

Love Jay xx

So sorry ur having a rough time. Despite all my moans about my pain, im lucky that i havent vomited, and feel i can eat quite well considering im only 12 days post op.
I think it might be a good idea to contact ur dietician, and take some advice, because like the others say, its not good to be vomiting all the time. Hope you feel better soon xxx

Good news: it does get better. Bad news: there doesnt seem to be a set time scale:

I've only really been eating "normally" for about the last six weeks and I'm 9 months post bypass. I still throw up every now and then, especially if I try and eat anything spicey or pickled oh and onions ............. lol.

Bee, didn't you just have to have surgery again? You should probably think of your most recent surgery as your 'start' date and go back a food stage. I know, liquids suck but you could be getting caught in a vomit-swelling pouch-more vomit cycle. Your swelling will be just like it was directly after surgery, thus the need for liquids only for a bit.

I am soooo sorry that you have had such a rough time and hope that you really are able to get to the 'I love my bypass' stage, because it doesn't better, it gets GREAT!!!

Hugs,
Nic:p

Back