• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Sleeve Post-op Update

LaManche

Hello

Just thought I would wish all the pre-op sleevers good luck for their forthcoming surgery.

I am now 6 days post-op and thought I would give you an update of my experience so far.

I don't remember much about surgery day, fortunately I was the first one down to the operating theatre so I didn't have too much time to stress on the day! I arrived at the hospital at 7 a.m. and, by the time I got checked into my room, unpacked, got changed into my sexy surgical stockings and paper pants, had a visit from the surgeon and anaesthetist it was about time to walk down to theatre.

The next thing I remember is waking up sometime later in my room and wired up to IV fluids and a patient controlled morphine drip. My throat was very sore and I was groggy and tired but didn't feel as bad as I expected - phew!

The rest of the day is spent in a blur of hourly observations by the nurses, occasionally sipping water and sleeping. I do remember in the early hours my IV fluids decided to start going into my tissue and not my veins, causing my hospital id band to start cutting off the circulation in my hand, but I was eventually recannulated.

Day 2 the pain from the incisions was as expected – very sore! I could not sit upright without immense pain but when I lay still I wasn’t really in any pain, all the nurses commented on how little morphine I had given myself. I did have a terrible headache all day that no amount of codeine linctus would shift, probably an after effect from the anaesthesia. I had a visit from the surgeon, he said everything went well, and told me I could have other fluids. I had a cup of tea to celebrate! I say ‘cup’ but I could only manage about a quarter of it before I felt full. I also had a visit from the physio who took me for a walk up and down the corridor and stairs and gave me some breathing exercises – they hurt!

Day 3, still with terrible headache, I was sent home and that day, and day 4, I was extremely exhausted. I felt like all my energy had drained away from me and I really couldn’t face drinking anything but I did as the other sleevers have advised and sipped, sipped, sipped all day long (when I wasn’t asleep)!

Anyway, the last 2 days I have felt quite a lot brighter, my headache has gone, my energy levels have increased, I have been for a few walks (going further each day) and haven’t felt the need to sleep throughout the day. I am trying to get as many fluids down as possible: milk, protein powder, drinking yoghurts, juice, soup, tea, etc.

Anyway, if any pre-oppers want to ask me anything then feel free and I will tell you more of my experience.

Thanks for reading and all the best!

thank you for sharing I will be in your slippers/shoes next so I am taking notes.
What soups have you got and do you recommend any drinks and have you had wind as everyone seems to go on about it.
Thanks, happy healing.

Thanks both of you :). It's been a bit of an emotional journey so far but I am still sure I have done the right thing - I just get the occasional mad panic when I think 'what have I done'!

JackieNS:

Yes, I am still getting the dreaded wind in my back and shoulders, but I had previously had 2 abdominal keyhole ops so I knew what to expect. The pains don't last too long and are usually relieved by a warm wheat bag.

Soups - I am having various types: mushroom, tomato, cream of veg.

Drinks: I am trying to get at least one Slimfast or Complan shake down me a day. I've whizzed up some milk with a banana and a scoop of choc protein powder. Yesterday I whizzed up a handful of fresh raspberries with some milk and a Actimel drinking yoghurt (then sieved all the seeds out). I am trying to drink lots and I am taking an A to Z multivit/mineral combo.

Anything else you want to ask, feel free and good luck for your journey.

Have you been signed off work? If so, how long for?

Also! How are you with stairs? My parents are concerned that I won't be able to get up the stairs to go to bed! lol. They are worriers :')

Hi.

My surgeon suggested to have 2 weeks off work although I didn't get any sick certificate from him. I will ask my GP for one when I go to get my staples out on Friday.

Stairs? I live in a bungalow! I have been walking uphill every day though with no problem. I'm sure your parents don't need to worry about them!

I had three weeks off work with my sleeve. And I needed it, as I was absolutely shattered (and still am, quite often).

And can report no problems at all with stairs in any direction, albeit I was so drained of energy during the first two weeks post surgery that going up or down did take longer than previously, as I was walking as if I were in my 90s! (ie, slooooooooooooowly). Not through pain, just through fatigue.

Well done for taking tha plunge. Do your team advise liquids tos tart with or have you just chosent soups etc?

Stairs should be fine. A physion got me up and about very early on and I had to climb and descend stairs with her to prove I could before discharge.

Hope all continues to go really well, you'll find sticking to the rules makes it all alot easier providing you don't have any of the (rare) complications.

Bets of luck and if you have any Questions for someone who's a bit further along, feel free to ask. x

Back