• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

gastric surgery and sleep apnea.

cherylxx

hi all,
I have been researching and considering having a gastric band fitted for some months now and have now made an appointment to see my gp on 16th feb (waiting for my favourite gp to return from her hols).
i have however seen a lot of references to a sleep apnea test prior to wls.
does this mean that anyone suffering from sleep apnea will be refused surgery?.
i have never been diagnosed with sleep apnea but have suspected for some time that i do have it as i sometimes feel my own breathing stop and jump awake , catching my breath. :confused:
i certainly meet the criteria with regards to bmi etc so would hate to be refused wls due to a condition that only losing weight will cure:sigh:

I think having sleep apnoea increases your chances of surgery, since it's so dangerous. Good luck with your appointment - I was refused surgery with a BMI of 59!

hi Ro,
im so sorry u were refused surgery.
im scared of being refused and yet scared of surgery too, its a double whammy.
congratulations on ur incredible weight loss , u are doing amazingly.
ive tried calorie counting on numerous occasions and have never had much success.
my biggest success in weight loss was with cambridge where i lost 49lbs but i have since reunited with that weight :sigh:
did they say why u were refused surgery? was it because u were losing weight without medical intervention perhaps?

Nope, I started losing weight out of a stubborn anger at being refused help! The feeling has carried me this far!

hi cheryl
i was put forward for my wls gastric bypass in may 08 when they did all the tests i found out that i have very bad sleep apnea and i have to use a cpap machine when they found that out the surgery was more important to have it does go for you as sleep apnea can be bad and the more you lose weight the quicker the apnea goes away. I had my op on 5th jan 09 i had to go to hdu after because of the condition and i am already seeing an improvment in my apnea and i have only lost 18lb so dont know how will be after another 18. hi ro i cant understand why you where turned down for wls as your bmi was 59 mine is the same and they put me forward straight away which hospital was it at or was it your gp that said no
alison xx

I don't know the answer to your question but from what the others have said it sounds as though it wont be a problem at all. Good luck with your appointment xx

Sleep apnea is another reason to lose weight as "I think" it is caused bu being overweight - dont quote me on that though !
Good luck
Ro - why would they refuse you that seems SOOOO wrong
My BMI is around 45 and I am being referred and am in Manchester
Good luck
xxx

I had mild sleep apnea and it swung it for me with regards to getting funding. It was the first thing to improve and I no longer feel I am living in a fog of tiredness and headaches....I cannot thank my surgeon enough for curing those to things which have enabled me to grab life by the hand and live it at long last...xx

Back