• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

got paid nicest compliment by doctor

tink1974

i had to go to gp yesterday because of a few things. When I went in she asked how i was apart from the fact that I was shrinking lol.
She asked me how i felt my weightloss was going so far. I told her I was really happy with it and was really excited about life in the future.
She then paid me the nicest compliment by saying that out of all the patients in our practice who have had surgery done privately or the few of us lucky ones who had it on the NHS, I was always the one it was going to work best for. I asked her what she meant - she answered by saying that i did things the right way around - by sorting out my head first. I had done some Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for my binge eating a few yrs back - and now its def paying off - so was def worth the money it cost lol.
She said that a lot of her patients have had surgery done themselves but then come to realise that they use food as a coping mechanism - this is obviously restricted postop - meaning they cant cope under stress.

So if I was to give anyone advice pre-op - it would be that you should look at the reasons why you overeat and think of things you can do postop to compensate - i have started clearing kitchen cupboards out when I am stressed lol

Getting your head in the right place so early on is going to mean you keep it off for good too! Well done x

thats so true i too am getting my head sorted before i have my surgery always said that if up there isnt sorted i would never get the weight to stay off great post x

thanks lurve2laugh. It is def worth doing 1st (not always an easy route cos a lot of very difficult stuff comes to the surface). Good luck with your journey xx

Hi tink, like you i'm also a stress eater and stress can come from the simplest of things like, House being untidy, alittle short of money etc. I seem to stress about really silly things. How do i go about changing that cycle of eating to feel better because as you knowit really doesn't work at all x

Hi Sarah - i am not an expert on eating cycles. All I know is about what happened with me. I hadnt been fed solids by my natural mother. I was 2 when I was taken off her. From that early age i developed hording mentality, be it with toys or food. I was adopted and when the groceries were bought i used to eat everything that was nice just incase it wasnt there when i really wanted it - the start of my binge eating.

I am now 37, it took me 35 years to realise this and then to seek help about it.

I am going through an extremely stressful time at the minute - my husband & I are separating - prob 1 of the most stressful occasions in my life so far. Of course what was the first thing i wanted?? It was food and copious amts of it but i couldnt because of my bypass. So I had to consciously go back in time to those Cognitive behavioural sessions i had a couple of yrs ago and remember what i discussed about coping mechanisms. Hence why I am cleaning my kitchen cupboards out, or doing the ironing or even getting out for a good walk.

I def think that part of the weight loss surgery journey should involve CBT because, the health service just see the physical side of a weight problem - the mental side is much larger.

CBT isnt for everyone - but its one of the best investments i made for myself.

Back