• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

GP refusing Liquid Meds! help

Helen louise

I take metformin as I am type 2 diabetic & due for a band on friday, pre op nurse told me to get a prescription from my GP for the liquid version but my GP has refused, the tablets are large & as they are slow release they can't be crushed,

My only option is to pay privately for them, GP will charge me £10 for the script but the liquid metformin costs £111 per bottle & I would need 3 bottles per month!

I am gobsmacked!

That's why he won't prescribe it then, as its so expensive. Can you get your bariatric nurse to phone him and explain the necessity of having them in liquid form ?

He really has no right to refuse. I would also contact the practice manager and speak to them.

hi helen
what a cheek
my doctor was given me all my tablets in liquid form
also some vitamins liquid
i am not dietetic i am sure your are able to be allow them by liquid
keep trying
good luck

kay xx

Well its partially sorted, I am being given a script for non slow release metformin which I am allowed to crush into a powder,

apparently it tastes vile so I will wait for a couple of days post op & I will mix it in with a small amount of watery apple sauce to get it down!

Chemist says they do powders which cost a few pence more than tablets so when I see the diabetic nurse in a couple of weeks I will try & get some of those, I just couldn't be bothered to ring back & argue with the stuffy nosed receptionist I was talking to earlier!

You never know, you may have no problem swallowing your tablets. The multi vitamins I take are much bigger than metformin, and I swallow them no problem. I hope you get it sorted anyway :)

You never know, you may have no problem swallowing your tablets. The multi vitamins I take are much bigger than metformin, and I swallow them no problem. I hope you get it sorted anyway :)

I think its because I am having a band & the tablet could get stuck in the narrow band part rather than the swallowing to be the issue

If that makes sense!

Helen louise said:
I think its because I am having a band & the tablet could get stuck in the narrow band part rather than the swallowing to be the issue

If that makes sense!

I take venaflaxine and have had to buy a pill cutter to take them as they're slow release also xx

I take venaflaxine and have had to buy a pill cutter to take them as they're slow release also xx

Kellsbells, My doctor prescribed me the non slow release version of venlafaxine. They do have them and are nice and easy to take so if you wanted to take them you could ask your doctor x

shelleymarie said:
Kellsbells, My doctor prescribed me the non slow release version of venlafaxine. They do have them and are nice and easy to take so if you wanted to take them you could ask your doctor x

Thanks hun will mention it next review xx

I never even thought about this, I take 3 metformin a day, one with each meal, and a daily pill to lower my BP. Think they are too hard to crush, hope my GP will be reasonable!

Not sure but I think the GP does have the right to refuse to prescribe a much more expensive version of any medicine. I've seen this subject mentioned elsewhere on the site.

Anyone else know if this is the case?

Yep that's correct, the GP has the final say, it is his budget after all.

You may also find that you don't actually have any issues with the pills, I know they are big, but not as big as Forceval multi vits that most people take with few issues, I doubt they will get stuck as although banded the stomach muscles are still working and will get the pill through with little trouble. Just make sure you take plenty of water with them.

Paul

Well I have tried crushing the metformin but they taste so vile they make me feel sick so not so good!

If I am going to swallow a whole pill am I better off taking the ordinary metformin or the slow release?

I had the liquid medications, and of the three I am on the metformin tasted most vile. In fact I stopped taking it and started crushing my tablets within a few days, and taking those with a spoon of fromage frais. Still tastes vile, but not as vile as the medicine.

My GP prescribed my liquid meds with no problem, despite the expense. However I was lucky to get my surgery on the NHS.

Does not one watch the TV or read the newspapers?! The NHS is having to save 5.6 million a year over the next 3 years, there is not the money in the purse...do you really think that it is reasonable to expect £333 to be spend on liquid Metformin?!

I am astonished at some of your attitudes about it being "your right" "the GP's job" !!

It is all of our (as part of society) job's to help with theses savings if we want to still have an NHS is 10 years time - there would be no such thing as Baratric surgery on the NHS then, it will be cancer and maternity care only, everything else will be private.

Please can someone tell me how they could justify £333 per month v £2.88 and a pill crusher?! So it tastes bad - tough, your may not need to continue with it for long!

It's time we all took some responsibility and started to look at the bigger picture of the NHS rather than constantly jump in and criticise when we don't get what we think we need!

It is our NHS - lets all do our bit?!

Ok down off the soap box now xx

Oonion - I agree. That's a massive amount of money to come out of the Nhs kitty. I have decided to go private for my wrap and pay myself as I couldn't justify having it done on the Nhs. I've got myself in this mess, I feel it's unfair of me to take 7grand out of the Nhs pot to pay for my surgery. I know every story is different and I'm not dissing the people who are having Nhs treatment. I just hope that there still is an Nhs in the future should I need something serious. At the rate it's going it will be privatised because its gone bankrupt.

Ok so crushed metformin tastes vile what about just breaking them into quarters, that way they will go down fine without the after taste.

Paul

Back