• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Guidance please!

pollybree

Hi I am waiting for my initial appointment at sunderland royal. I have read that they no longer do banding at Sunderland is this true? Also my bmi is 39, does anyone out there know whether I will qualify for surgery? I have tried every diet and pill going and managed to lose some weight but then piled it back on and more. 5 years ago I was a size 10 then after a six month illness I was unable to excersise and my weight has crept up over the last years and now I am almost 6 stone heavier and its killing my joints and my self esteem. I really need the surgery as I am still young and dont want to get any bigger which will happen without it. Also I am wondering about timescales?:confused:

Hi and welcome to the forum. I am 25 and my bmi is 39. I asked my Dr if he could forward me to have wls and he said no. so I have decided to go private. I am found a really good surgeon in Prague and his prices are fantastic. have you looked into going private? X

Hi no not yet, I have been refferred by my gp already. If your bmi is the same as mine why did you not get refferred? Thats crazy! I would get a second opionion

Under my PCT I have to have a BMI of 50 - and apparently they are under discussion to raise it to 55! :/

that is mental so you have to be dangerously overweight before they will do it? Which pct are you under?

Also I thought you had the right to go to any hospital nowadays, If you are willing to go abroad could you not go to a different pct and save some cash, I would enquire about this.

My pct was 50 with no co-morbidities, 40 if you have diabetes, high blood pressure etc.

Don't take this the wrong way but personally I don't think you'll get the funding approved with a bmi of 39,it has to be much higher with other health problems at the sunderland royal,although your gp referred u,u still have to go through the funding battle etc x good luck x

Check out the Bospa website as due to living in the north east it's not as strict as other areas.

Also I thought you had the right to go to any hospital nowadays, If you are willing to go abroad could you not go to a different pct and save some cash, I would enquire about this.

I didn't know about this? :confused: You mean you can go to any hospital via the NHS? I thought I could only be referred by my own GP to my own PCT? Or are you talking privately? If I get nowhere with the NHS then I will have to think again... :cry:

You need to look up what Sunderland offer as its different all over the country and will depend on your pct as they have to pay the surgeon.

our pct is 35 to 40, they will consider a bmi of 35 to 39 if you have other health problems ie diabetes, high blood pressure or joint pain which i suffer terribly with my actual bmi is 39.6 so i am on the edge of it anyways, i think i am going to ask to be changed to darlington though because of the waiting lists, anyone had theirs at darlington?

Sorry I just thought you could use any nhs hospital in the country, I might be wrong it may only be regional but I would check it out anyway. good luck

Do you suffer with all three co-morbidities? :( Sounds like you'll be fine with funding then based on the criteria for your PCT :) x x

Sorry I just thought you could use any nhs hospital in the country, I might be wrong it may only be regional but I would check it out anyway. good luck

Not sure where I would get clarification on that? :confused: But if that really is the case I'll be hopping off to another hospital/PCT with lower criteria and one that offers cosmetics post weight loss surgery! :gimi:

I think your pct is purely for your own area I live in Morecambe and my pct funded me for surgery at Blackpool spire I actually had my surgery at murrayfield spire as Blackpool don't do DS but I've recently had a letter pct are not covering any further than Blackpool now so I was lucky to be done when I was :) I go for all checkouts at Blackpool even though none of the surgeons there do my op :(

Back