• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Had my first post-op check with the surgeon

StephieAck

I know Ive changed!
Hiya all
Well, my post-op check was supposed to be at 6-8 weeks post op but the hospital kept postponing it and now, at 16 weeks post op I had the appointment.
I was so excited to see Mr Li, he is a very lovely man and I was excited to give him the thank you card and present that I had bought for him.
I got weighed and from the day of surgery to now I have lost almost 4st, meaning from just before the pre-op surgery I have lost over 4st and from this time last year I have lost more like 5+.
Mr Li was pleased with me and asked questions about how I handle food and was VERY impressed when I told him that everything is good food wise and that I dont eat bread or cakes/sugary stuff etc and that it is by choice that I dont have them and he gave me a huge smile and a big thumbs up. He was SO thrilled about my diabetes being all but resolved, when I told him that I am off ALL meds for it he was shocked and pleased and then asked about my pain as I used to have a very sore back and joints etc and when I told him that I am now pain free he just looked so pleased for me.
He wants me to get my gp to give me antacids though, I said that I dont have issues that way and he said it is to prevent ulcers on my newly built insides, so I am going to see my doctor to get it prescribed.
I told him that I am soooo happy with my life now and that its great now and he said great but it IS hard the first few months, to which I agreed that the first month I regretted it and that I had issues to deal with for a couple of months (he did tell me during our first consultation when he agreed to do my surgery that the first 2-3 months would be very rough) but that now everything is going so well and that I am SO happy and he is glad.
He is writing to my gp to tell him to do a full blood panel to check out how Im doing, which will be interesting to see how Im doing.
He is seeing me again in four months (yeah, we'll see!!! stupid hospitals fault, not Mr Li's!) and I look forward to that.
As I was getting ready to leave I handed him a card and a small present and said "this is just a little something to say thank you" and he looked soooooo stunned and touched by that and that got a lump in my throat to see such a humble response and then he said "oh you shouldnt have" and I said "I am just SO grateful" and then the huge sense of gratitude flooded over me and I started to cry and he was like "awww bless, you should have saved the money towards your new wardrobe, thank you, just dont bring anything next time" lol he was just so shocked I think. I grabbed a paper towel to mop up the tears and he was all "aww bless" lol I was still crying five minutes drive away lol
I am just SO grateful for this awesome life that he has enabled to become reality, for once in my life I feel that I have something to be really proud of myself for and it all just washed over me and I let it out lol I feel much better for that cry lol
So thats that, Im doing well, Mr Li was pleased with me, Im on target and life is great hehe
I wore a lovely outfit that I had bought, a dress, something that I have wanted to wear for years but didnt have the figure for and now I am getting a figure I could wear that dress and I felt so lovely in it, whether I looked good I dont know but I sure as hell felt it lol
Oh yes, I asked how much of me he bypassed and he said 2m, which isnt the largest amount but not the smallest either, I asked was that a good amount and he said "oh yes, it IS", which is great.
He explained that as I am so 'diddy' (5ft) and wasnt one of the heavier people he has worked on, that my weight will never seem as impressive as some peoples, my weight IS coming off nice and quickly for me personally but that I should never compare myself to others as they have more to lose and as I dont have vast amounts to lose then it would seem slower to me but that my losses are at a good rate and besides, I will have far less of a problem with loose skin if I slim down slightly slower than others, but that if you add all of the things up then my percentage lost and others percentage lost are about the same, even if their numbers are higher than mine, which was good to hear.
So there we have it...I am adding a picture to the end of this post to show you the gift that I bought him as a thank you, it is so tiny compared to the huge gift that he gave to me but it is something that he can look at and maybe feel a little bit of the gratitude it was sent with.
I also might post a picture of myself in the outfit I wore tonight! P.S...I know that the 'dress' is worn by some taller folks as a long top but me being so diddy wore it as a dress and I took that pendant off before I left. Look mum...legs!!!!!!!! lol they havent seen the light of day in YEARS!!!
Steph xx

thankyou.jpg

purpdress.jpg

wow what a cute gift. I bet he keeps it on his desk to remind him. Thanks for posting your update. You sound so positive and full of life. It just shines through on your post. I can't wait to be where you are now. My legs haven't seen the light of day in well over a decade lol.

I was smiling the whole time reading your post.

You've done so well and your dress looks beautiful.

thanks for updating us, i love to hear your words of wisdom. You are doing so well you must be so proud of yourself. i've managed to read your post today without crying, so things are looking up lol x

Steph, what a lovely post - you really do seem to have embraced your new life...I'm sure your surgeon feels a lot of satisfaction from knowing how much he's helped you

Aww thanks guys xx
One thing that has truly truly helped me - this forum!
I would be totally lost if I didnt have this wonderful place to come to and you wonderful people to share life with, I really do credit my positive attitude and a good share of my happiness to it and so on that score I want to say a HUGE thank you to you all xx
I have just been saying to my husband, I want to give something back to the world of weight loss surgery, I want to help people that are on this journey or just starting out on it, I want it to be a part of my life and I just have to work out how now, I dont think going into the nursing part of it will do it, but I want to do something, I feel as though I want to help, I will have to think about how I can achieve that. Obviously further on down the line as I am still quite a newborn in this life of weight loss surgery etc, but I definately want to contribute to the 'cause'.
Gosh...I am going to sound like a stuck record now but damnnnnnnnnnnnnn I love my bypass hehe
How could I not...it brought me this new life and it brought me all of you lovely people xxx
:grouphugg:
Steph xx

P.S...if anybody wants to add me to Facebook just click on the F symbol under my name xx

You really are a beautiful woman Stephanie. Now you have emerged from that cocoon of fat.
Do you find that other people have adjusted their behaviour towards you? Maybe other women around you now see you as a threat? Just think how fantastic you will be when you reach goal!

Oh my goodness, you've got me in tears reading this!! I can feel your happiness ooooozing from the page, I'm sooo pleased for you hun xxxx :hug99:

PS I love the dress!!! Just noticed that, where did you get it?

Tyra...the women in my life dont seem to be seeing me as a threat, some were odd with me to start with but I think that is because I have messed with their world, I think a lot of them used me as an incentive to lose weight, you know 'as long as Im not as fat as Steph Im ok' kind of thing and now a few of them are actually fatter than me! lol Im still fat though so things MAY change in 3-4 stones time when I am a slim girl, we'll have to see. Some women in work dont seem to be quite as friendly and one really does give me this weird look, but her husband DID outright ask me for an affair pre-op so maybe she knows that and knowing that he wanted to cheat with me when I was fat makes her slightly nervous now that Im getting to a decent size, she neednt worry though, yes I do find her husband attractive but I turned him down then and I would turn him down now, Im just not like that! So actually, I would say 95% of women are the same with me with that tiny percentage just slightly unsure of me.

Ellie...thank you xx

Twiggie...sorry about that xx The dress is from Asda...I love Asda clothes hehe It is a size 18 yayyyyyy hehe

Steph xx

Great post Steph- I think you'd be great as a wl support councillor-you just have an reassuring, uplifting way bout you.
Dress looks brill. And so do you-your face has changed so much-so young & pretty.

Glad your soooooooo happy Steph, i do feel very similar to you with my bypass i want to shout it from the roof tops!! I like you would love to help others, sometimes i see people in the street who are very overweight like i was and it can bring tears to my eyes i just want them to be as happy as me xxx

Great post Steph and love the present! I think a lot of wls patients in years to come will look at that on Mr Li's office desk and think, "Yes, i do thank you" xx

hey hun, just seen the post, am glad ur doing well and had a very good meeting with mr li, he is just lovely aint he lol, xxxx

Back