• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hair Loss after Op

taf1700

HELP! HAIR LOSS AFTER BYPASS :-(

Hi everyone!

Was hoping someone could help me.

I had my gastric bypass on 3rd feb this year and all has gone well. I was going on for 22st and now I'm 13.12st last fri.

Anyway, for a while now i've been losing hair, which I expected as my surgeon did say it might happen. Although I didnt expect to lose so much.

Over the last 4 months approx it has got really bad, and it's quite upsetting.

I looked on the internet and have found a suppliment that some people take, that helps, called silica but I have been told I cant take this because I'm also pregnant.

I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this problem and if the hair grows back at some point.

Thanks Tracey :cry:

Hi Tracey,

Congratulations on being pregnant!:hug99:

With most diets it is common to lose hair but it grows back again.

Not sure about taking supplements when pregnant, it would be best to ask your GP this.

Here is an article about hair loss and dieting and I hope it will go some way to putting your mind at ease.

Love Mini xxx

Hair Loss!
The science bit...
It's pretty common to lose hair when dieting. Here's why...

Each hair on your head grows for 4-5 years, then falls out. So your hair is always renewing itself. The long growth stage is called anagen and the short stopping phase that follows is called catagen. Then the hair falls out, which is telogen. The hair follicle then goes back into anagen and makes a long hair for the next 4-5 yaers.

What happens during weight loss is Telogen effluvium. It also happens after any stress to the body. Some of your hair follicles go into catagen to conserve body resources. So the hairs stop growing and "rest". Once your body feels safe again, those hairs go back into anagen - but because there was the pause in the middle, the brand new growing hair pushes the old hair out of the follicle. So in reality you have just as much hair as you did before - and it's probably far healthier hair. But the new hairs are short :)

Normally around 10% of your head of hair is in the catagen or telogen phase, in essence resetting itself to prepare for new hair to grow in. Because you have so much hair on your head, you don't even notice. During weight loss that percentage gets higher, but this is only temporary. Your body starts creating new hair in its normal cycle once it settles into a healthy weight and those hairs start growing again. Remember that hair doesn't reach a long state overnight! So all those new, healthy hairs need time to grow out to whatever length of hair you have chosen.

Usually it takes 6 months for your head of hair to have grown back out to typical fullness. Hair grows around 1/2" per month, so at the 6 month mark, the hair is around 3" long which is enough to seem thick on most heads. Again, it's not that the hair is MISSING during this intermediate time. It's just that it is brand new and growing from scratch.

Copied from here Weight Loss, HairLoss and Low Carb - Low Carb if you want to read the whole article!

Hi Tracey havent had my bypass but did look into hair loss as I have very fine thin hair, and I lose hair all the time
I found the A_Z vitamin tabs are very good and have been taking them with my milk diet and I must say I have noticed a difference in my hair already as not losing as much as I normally do.
You may already be taking supplements and I think if pregnant you should check with your GP about which is best to take, or your midwife, as you obviously dont want to be taking any chances.
I read too that massaging your scalp every day helps reduce the loss post op, although most people seem to go through this problem to a greater or lesser degree, but they all say it grows back, some say thicker than before some just the same.
Hope this helps a bit

Jay xx

Hi,

Also post op and pregnant :)

I had hairloss from 3-4 months post op which lasted about 6 months. I didn't bother with extra supplements, it resolved itself soon enough :)

Sweetheart, it will grow back - check with your GP about Silica as it does work. In the interim, there are always hair extensions. Congratulations on the great weightloss so far and on the pregnancy.

My hair is falling out in handfuls at the mo, but i'm trying not to worry too much as I have a lot left.lol:D

Hi hun - my surgeon has recommended Zinc and Selenium that needs to be prescribed by your GP. I told the docs I was taking a boots hair growth supplement and they said this was not strong enough, so go back to your GP for zinc and selenium.

Sally

Hi
My hair is also falling out in handfulls. I have tried upping my protein as that may have helped but no joy at the moment. I have just caved in and ordered the Silica 2500 on the internet. Can you ring your bariatric team to double check the affects of Silica on your baby? My GPs are not very good at giving out info to do with my bypass.

Congrats on your pregnancy! How wonderful!

Lx

Hair Loss?

I just watched a recording of this weeks fat doctor, with the three sisters.
They appear to have quite alarming hair loss.
My hair is crap anyway. Is there anyway of avoiding this?

Hello there

I have not had op (yet) but didnt wanan read and but and I know every case is individual, but I have found taking vitamins and change my shampoo (dove, the pink one) did the trick, I still have some little hair coming off daily but I been told thats natural hair not coming out in clumps like before....HTH

All the best - MeJulie xx

Silica 2500 seems to be credited with helping lessen the hair loss considerably. I have just started taking it after losing quite a bit of hair so hopefully it will slow down now or stop.
Keeping your protein intake up is also thought to lessen the hair loss.

Lx

Selenium and zinc is recommended to help with the hair loss. Remember this is temporary hair loss not permenant, your hair does regrow. The more drastic your drop in nutrients the more hair loss you are likely to suffer.

this is the one part of the post op stage i am not looking forward to either lol
my hair is a bit rubbish from having dreadlock extensions in so much over the last 10 years lol....guess i may start wig shopping :) wonder if i can get a nice red/black one :D haha

My GP and nutritionist say it is all about Protein - if you get enough, you'll only lose a minimal amount of hair.

Back