• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Has anyone had a band op without a partner/friend to help out?

Beebs

Sorry, another question - they're all coming out now! Has anyone gone for the band & not had someone to accompany them in hospital? I know this makes me sound like a sad sack but I am fine with the possibility that this may be the case for me, I just want to know others' experiences.

I have told my mum and a few friends that I am interested in having a band, and am hoping that I will be able to get a date for surgery very soon, I don't want to wait months. If I opt for surgery, this will involve staying the night in Dolan Park in Birmingham (am based in London) However, my mum will shortly be leaving for holiday for about 3 months (lucky mum!) & the few friends I've told are all recent mums or just not in a position to take time off work. :sigh:

I don't like being dependant on other people (am a bit annoying in that way, always Ms Independant) & hate being a burden to people. I am sure (or at least, I hope) things will be okay if I do end up going by myself, but just wondered if anyone else has gone through the gastric band op by themselves? - should I envisage any problems in doing so? I just want to be as mentally prepared as I can be.

Many thanks
Beebs

My friend drove me, dropped me at the door, then I spent rest of day on my own having rung my oh to say no point him being there. He turned up for an hr in the evening after op but I just needed sleep so he went. Picked up next morning to go home...job done!!!! X

Read the diary from miserable done a blog right from the beginning, I loved reading it, she was on her own having the op, I went to the hospital where you are going, they were drivers there taking people and picking you up, you will be fine Hun x

Awh thanks Sue, also like the new picture. Yeap all by myself I was. Left my OH at home as he would have made me feel worse ss he was panicking more than me so left him behind. I am very much like u very independent. U can use their taxi service, they pick u up and drop u off the next day, its brilliant. And tbh I also managed by myself after the op. Did not bother my OH at all hth xxx

Thanks to you all for the words of support, I really do feel a lot better about potentially doing this myself now. Thank you for the diary recommendation too, it was very useful... miserable, I really enjoyed reading about your journey & really chuffed you have made so much progress, well done to you - hopefully not feeling quite so miserable any more :)

Thanks beebs, I am glad my diary can help. It is to help me as much ad helping others. I feel better with myself although miserable right now with this stupid cold!! But going to see my family tomorrow who have not seen me since starting my journey so I hope the notice a difference! But any questions just ask. Xxx

Hello
Im a single mum with no OH and was dropped the morning of op and collected the next day like some of the others on here. I think even if there had been an OH I'd have preffered to go it alone as the waiting room for ops was packed and most partners were asked to move into the corridor to wait so patients could have a seat in the beautiful bum flashing gowns. Only time I'd have appreciated someone being there for me would have been so my belongings were cared for, I have no idea how secure they were, but that was NHS not private.
xxx

i didnt want anyone there with me but when i came round and they said they couldnt do the operation, i was glad i had a shoulder to cry on, :) xx

I was totally on my own. My sister reluctantly (and angrily) dropped me at a hotel the day before, but then I was on my own until I was discharged, didn't have any visitors for the 4 days I was there, which I will admit upset me a lot, and I have been left with some resentment that my sister put her dislike of driving on motorways as more important than visiting me in HDU or on the ward. She also told her grown up family that I was having the operation despite the fact that I had clearly told her I wanted her not to! Things are very awkward between us now, which is a shame as she is my only family left, the rest have long since pegged it!

But I still don't regret doing it for a minute, just a shame I didn't do it years ago! Xx

Lullaby - so sorry to hear you weren't able to have the surgery... you must have been so disappointed. Glad for you as well that you had someone to support you, and hope you were / are able to go on and have it at a later date.

Snagglepuss, I think your resentment is completely understandable. It's such a shame when family or friends) don't live up to your expectations, or put their personal felings aside to be more supportive of your decisions. I hope your relationship with your sister improves, as you say she is your only remaining family so it would be a shame to let this affect you in such a fundamental way. Family can be so frustrating :(

I always like to think that nothing is insurmountable & really hope this is the case for you both. Thanks for your replies x

I also was dropped at the door and did the day on my own! After the op I didn't really feel like having anyone there and the other half would've been a complete ass so he paid a quick visit on the evening and picked me up the next morning! X

Back