• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Has to be my all time most embarrasing moment!

Jen1961

Is on her way!
I saw my consultant about a month ago and he said he was signing me off his clinic but before he goes ahead with my op for gastric bypass and the removal of my gall bladder, he wanted to check that I had no gall stones that had moved down into any of my ducts so he was going to send me for a MRCP scan.

He said if any stones were found then I could have a procedure done orally before my bypass to clear the stones out of the bile ducts.

Off I went to do my internet research (like you do) and managed to put the fear of God into me. :eek:

Well I got the appointment through, 6.30pm one evening which made me feel a little uneasy because of the time of the appointment. I went along and my biggest fear was not fitting into the MRI scanner. I took along some of my own music, a new night dress that fit me well (as I didn't want to walk around with my bottom on show) and was soon asked to go to a changing area to get ready.

The nurse asked if I had ever had an MRI scan before and I said no. She said you will be fine. I said I am panicking I wont fit. She said, 'don't worry about that, everyone fits'. I was shown into a changing room and listened to the noise the machine was making for the patient before me and thought I can cope with that I am sure and prepared myself for a noisy procedure.

Soon 20 minutes passed and I was shown into the xray room where I was asked to lay on this low bed. I was worrying about having a line fitted for them to inject iodine and having it knocked out of my hand accidentaly if the machine was too tight. These fears were soon put to rest as I wasn't going to have a line fitted for this scan (darn my internet researching!!) So one panic over I was raised and proceeded to be wheeled into the machine.

'Hang on' I called.. its way too close to my face (it was litterally a couple of inches at most off my nose the roof of the unit). They pulled me back out and said it will be snug but try and relax. I got my head phones placed with my lovely relaxing music playing, and then they laid these pads over my torso and stuck them down with tape as they weren't for sitting there unaided!! Then I was wheeled back towards the unit. Oh humm, there was no way I was going to fit now. The radiologist pressed down on my tummy and the other lady pushed the table in the machine a little when I heard the man say, 'This isn't going to work, she won't fit'. :eek::eek::eek:

OMG!! I was mortified. He tried to reassure me and said a few people don't fit. I said its too late, your collegue told me 'everyone' fitted! He said 'Well they are all a standard size but there is a larger unit in Sheffield. Maybe you will have to have an ultrasound instead'.

I put my head in my hands and just wanted the ground to open up and swallow me whole. :cry::eek: :cry:

So now I am waiting to hear back from my consultant to see what I have to do now.

Am I the only person that can't fit into these units? I know I am big (hold a lot of weight around my midriff) but there must be plenty more people larger and this must be a problem if they have some medical problem that only an MRI scan will find? :confused:

Aww hun I feel your pain but its only a blip on this road and you wont be the only one its happened to.I have been through some embarrasing procedures too.You prob will never see those peeps again and if you do in the future they wont recognise you cos you will be soooo slim!

I worked in Imaging for 5 years. There were plenty of people who were too heavy to even try to go on the beds of the machines! (so a lot bigger than you) So do not worry. The staff would not bat an eye lid!.

Oh I feel for you, sending you big hugs, Karen xxx

aw i had same thing,i still cringe at the memory lol ,i got in the scanner,on the push in bed thingy just, but was to tight ,i also have gall stones ,was sent for a ultra sound scan which showed more stones than the previous scan a few weeks before ,so my surgeon has decided to remove my gall bladder during my gastric bypass surgery,which im waiting for a date now , ,so dont worry,they will sort you out ,we are not the first and i doubt we will be the last to be embarressed ,they obviously need bigger scanners eh! lol

Oh my darling !!!... you are not alone ... EXACTLY the same thing happend to me , it was horrific .... after many tears my consultant advised me that the older machines are bigger ! technology has moved on and the machines are narrower ... Your doctor will be able to advise you of where the older machines are .... but the only problem is that the images are not as sharp as the narrow machines... always a catch 22 ! Anyway ..... You are not the only person to feel like Augustus Gloop in Willy Wonka ! (the poor chubster that got sucked up and stuck in that tube ) ...

Lots of hugs xxxx

Back