• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Having a gastric brpass at york hospital???

Toadi x

Hi all :p

You might have to bear with me as i am new to this sight and this is my first thread. I am having a gastric bypass done at york hospital in may june time and am wondering if any1 else has had 1 done there and if so how was there experience there?? all info is welcome as i just want to learn and gather as much info as i can. Not to mention meet other ppl in the same situation i am.

Dont be shy and say hi xXx

Hi Toadi,

Im also waiting for a bypass, but at Walsall Manor hospital.

I dont think anyone on here has been to York Hospital but I may be wrong. Anyway, just wanted to say Welcome!

Hi Toadi i had a gastric bypass but it was done in london privately. However i wanted to welcome you to mini's and wish you luck on your weight loss journey

Hi Toadi and welcome to minis I was bypassed at Walsall Manor so can not help WELCOME anyway

Yay lol someone else. Was starting to think i was the only person going there and getting it done lol. Im on Gilles list but he did say ether of them could be doing it. Do you have a date yet???

I haven't got a date yet. I'm sat here with baited breath waiting for the envelope to arrive. What has he mentioned in regards to pre-op diets, hospital stay etc ?

Its nice though to find some-one else going to York because I have looked high and low and not found another patient going there. How did you end up being refered to York ? I would have thought Leeds or Rotherham would have been closer to you ??

Thanx fat-girl-slim08 and you can say that again im getting excited but nervouse at the same time its a weird feeling lol.

Hi Daniel, Ye tell me bout it iv been the same iv met so many ppl on face book in the groups but you are the first i have come across that is having it done at the same hospital as me. I was refered by my doctor in november 2008 i then got the funding granted in the first week in January 2009 where i had a choice between hull hospital and york hospital and after doing my resurch i went for york. I got my letter from york hospital the back end of January and had my first appointment on the 27th Feb, i was in hospital a good 2 hours. I had my bloods done, sore the dietician and had a lenthly conversation with my surgen bout my options which i decided to go for the bypass which the surgen agreed is the best option for me. You have to have some pre opp tests done, first one is a sleep test i have mine on the 25th march its to check make sure i dont stop breathing while im sleeping which apparently alot of over weight ppl suffer from lol. The other is an endoscapy where they put a camra down your throught to make sure there is nothing wrong with your stomach b4 surgery mines on the 6th of April. And last but not least the hormone test pmsl wait till u see this 1 lol u will know what i mean when u go collect it lol i wont spoil the suprise all i will say is the papper bag doesnt help lol. The Surgen did say when i saw him that it will be about 3 months till my opp which made it may, June at the latest. I cant wait!!!!!! What part of the journey are you at? xXx

Hi Toadie, Ive had all the tests done, ready to go straight to theatre !!!! Just need a time and date!! The endoscopy is a nightmare, especially if you dont like banana !!!!!!! But I'm sure you will get through it fine...

Oh so your in first, you will have to keep me updated then. Have you been to see the surgen then after all the tests were done? as i thought he gave u a date when u go to see him?!. how long ago did u have your last test then? so i know what the time scale is like lol

I was schelduled last year but then my funding was denied so just sorted it now so i would guess in about the same time as you

I am at York hospital.....Hello to you

:p WOW...finally found someone at York

I am at York hospital on 29th April Surgery on 30th April
Gastric bypass, hernia fixing and gall bladder removal open surgery

Every one has been brilliant and I have my pre op visit on 22nd April

How are you both feeling now...any dates yet

Juni

Still no dates yet Juni. Sat here counting the days away. Great news on your date you must be extatic which surgeon are you having ??
Daniel

hello there Daniel

I am with Giles....met Glen Miller first back in November...expected a long wait..had all my tests..endoscopy was better than I thought...then I expected a wait to see Miller in May so expected a date perhaps after that but had the call last thursday with my operation date and pre op visit...then papers came on Saturday.

Mixed emotions, thrilled, scared...etc

Stumbled on this site and was thrilled to see folk from York hospital and loads around the UK

Keep inouch...perhaps we can all support each other.....

Hi guys,
just got back from having my endoscapy done and you wernt kidding its a nightmare!! all i can say is if there is a next time i will be taking the sedative lol. Wow thats great about your date hun and im with Dr Giles too and while i was waiting for my endoscapy was talking to a lady that had had the procedure 7 week ago by him and already lost over 2 stone. She said hes brill and not to worry as he will look after us as even though he is new back at york it was miller that trained him over 10 year ago and miller asked for him personally to come back to york after working at leeds doing the same opp to take some of the work load from miller. I dont know bout you but this put my mind at ease as when i found out he was new i started worrying, mind you its only what iv been told but she sang his praises. How long you been waiting after all your tests were complet b4 you had a date b4 your opp? x

Back