• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

HB protein, question...

FEDup1981

I WILL look like this!!
Wanda posted that holland & barretts protein powder was half price (thanks!) so i went to get some today. But wasnt sure to buy it:

it has 18g protein per scoop, and 96 cals.

Wanda suggested two scoops, so 36g protein, and 200 cals, almost.

I was quite concerned on the amount of calories it had, thats an extra 200 on top of my food. Surely my weight loss wouldnt be as good if im consuming an extra 200 cals per day? Or will all that protein make up for it?

Im confused!

anyone?

No idea really, except that high protein intake is better than carbs. Also I would think that it is important to have a certain amount of calories or our bodies go into starvation mode. Only my thoughts. x x

Just saw your post. The powders I have used have been in the 120 calories range per scoop, 2-3 sugars and around 20g of protein so the product seems okay but use one scoop.

HTH,
Nic;)

Thanks ladybird, and nic, ill get some then, add it to my porridge!

Hiya.... as I said in the first post I have this for my breakfast made into a shake and so its really not very many calories for a breakfast, if your having it addition to other food I agree it could be too much, just depends on what your eating during the day really. 1 scoop has roughly the same calories as an apple or a slice of unbuttered toast, so not that many.

I use foodfocus.co.uk to keep and eye on my protein levels and cals every day, i roughly eat around 1200 cals a day sometimes a little less and mostly around 70g of protein a day for example... shake for breakfast, tuna mayo stuffed boiled eggs, home made meatballs in tomato sauce and a little mash and mushed peas.

Oh and I'm a bander

I agree with what Nics said, be careful of the hidden sugars and calories in any protein suppliment or shake, doing my research i found that the ready made up varieties seem to be higher in soluable fats, sugars and calories, far more than the powdered varieties, also go for a good quality brand that clearly states whats in it, that includes the amino acids etc alongside the protein and calorie information. Use Whey protein as soy does not have some of the amino acids you need to aborb it, and look for a product that has the most protein you can find, mine is 79% protein per 45g portion......... I think the bottom line is, the more you pay the better the product, and buy it in bulk the cheaper it becomes.

I agree with what Nics said, be careful of the hidden sugars and calories in any protein suppliment or shake, doing my research i found that the ready made up varieties seem to be higher in soluable fats, sugars and calories, far more than the powdered varieties, also go for a good quality brand that clearly states whats in it, that includes the amino acids etc alongside the protein and calorie information. Use Whey protein as soy does not have some of the amino acids you need to aborb it, and look for a product that has the most protein you can find, mine is 79% protein per 45g portion......... I think the bottom line is, the more you pay the better the product, and buy it in bulk the cheaper it becomes.

couldnt agree more ss sound advise as usual. how is it going with the additional protien now?

couldnt agree more ss sound advise as usual. how is it going with the additional protien now?

Not sure at the moment, i'm away from home at the moment so my weigh in day will now be sunday this week instead of today, though i've not really had a very good week food wise, far to many naughties and not enough good stuff, so it wouldn't supprise me if i've not lost this week !

Thanks everyone!

I find higher protein from both shakes and the foods I eat help me loose much better lost another 3 this week :D

the break down of the HB one is as follows

per 100g

Protein of 74.3g (74.3%)
Carbs 6.7g (6.7%) of which sugars 4.8g (4.8%)
Fat 8.22g (8.22%)of which saturates 2.93 (2.93%)
fibre 0.02g
sodium 0.17g

so one scoop of 24g =
Protein - 17.82g
Carbs - 1.61g (of which sugars = 1.14g)
Fat 2g (of which saturates = 0.70g)

it contains
Calcium 91.2mg
magnesium 14.16mg
Phosphorus 90.24

and 18 Amino acids including 8 essential ones

hope this helps:D

Not sure at the moment, i'm away from home at the moment so my weigh in day will now be sunday this week instead of today, though i've not really had a very good week food wise, far to many naughties and not enough good stuff, so it wouldn't supprise me if i've not lost this week !

Asking a lot i know but if youve not lost you can just say its tour TOM and empathise with us women lol:p

I find higher protein from both shakes and the foods I eat help me loose much better lost another 3 this week :D

the break down of the HB one is as follows

per 100g

Protein of 74.3g (74.3%)
Carbs 6.7g (6.7%) of which sugars 4.8g (4.8%)
Fat 8.22g (8.22%)of which saturates 2.93 (2.93%)
fibre 0.02g
sodium 0.17g

so one scoop of 24g =
Protein - 17.82g
Carbs - 1.61g (of which sugars = 1.14g)
Fat 2g (of which saturates = 0.70g)

it contains
Calcium 91.2mg
magnesium 14.16mg
Phosphorus 90.24

and 18 Amino acids including 8 essential ones

hope this helps:D

Sorry to bump a week-old thread but what brand is this? Where can I get it? Marion xx

Back