• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Protein Supplements/shots

Swizzle, I use various types and I find that mixing them with water makes all of them thinner, chilling makes them all creamier and using milk only makes them thicker. Try using your chosen shake with half water/half milk and chill it for an hour or add ice. That's my advice and then just play with it until you find it is just right for you.

Nic:D

great advice there - thanks.
Going to go to local Holland and Barrett and have a browse...!

another low fat and high protein - mini babybel light!

tastes goooooooooood!

Calories43Protein5.3Carbohydrate0Fat2.4

Hi All

Just bought some of those Met-RX protein shakes from H&B to try the taste.
How many of those shakes am i supposed to have a day 1, 2 or 3?
New to all this stuff... :confused:

Cheers.....

The drinks i got have 20 (whatever) of protein.
Not sure how much i should be aiming for. :sigh:

You should really aiming for about 60gms protein a day, 80gms would be great. But don't take any more than 25 in a meal as the body won't absorb the excess. Men can take a bit more, I think it's 30gm.

HTH

You should really aiming for about 60gms protein a day, 80gms would be great. But don't take any more than 25 in a meal as the body won't absorb the excess. Men can take a bit more, I think it's 30gm.

HTH

Cheers John

So these shakes that have 20g in, they're ok then?!
What happens if you have too much in 1 go?

Dont know very much about this stuff.... :D

Cheers John

So these shakes that have 20g in, they're ok then?!
What happens if you have too much in 1 go?

Dont know very much about this stuff.... :D

Yep, as long as they don't have too many carbs. A lot of the protein drinks are aimed at body builders and have mega carbs. Try and keep it below 200Kcals per shake.

If you don't absorb the excess protein you are just wasting your money and carbs.

This one's got 20g of carbs and 183kals, so dont sound too bad.

Thanks again. x

Hi Guys

Are the protein shakes/soups from avidlite ok to use?

Info for shakes.. Nutritional information, based on Chocolate flavour, per 1 sachet/serving (25.5g): 100 kCal, Protein 18g, Assimilated carbohydrates 2.5g of which sugars 0.5g, Fat 1.3g of which saturates 0.4g, Fibre 1.5g, Sodium 1.5 mg, Potassium 120 mg per 100g as eaten, Calcium 255 mg.

And for soups.. Nutrition information, based on chicken flavour, per 1 sachet/serving (27g): 96 kCal, Protein 18g, Assimilated carbohydrates 4g of which sugars 0.6g, Fat 0.6g of which saturated 0.1g, Fibre 0.6g, Sodium 400 mg per 100g ready to eat, Potassium 120 mg per 100g ready to eat. Net carbs calculated by taking totally carbs and subtracting for fibre - chicken 3.4g net carbs, vegetable 4.3g, tomato 6.5g, onion 2.6g, Leek 4.5g, Mushroom 4.2g, Asparagus 1.7g, Pea 2.7g. Gaspacho 6.5g.

Hi Phattgirl - really outstanding post with so much information.

My head is buzzing wwith the choice of drinks/shots!

Could I ask, if you were to chose one shot, which would it be?

I'm aiming to get in maximum protein without the sugar etc. in a juice & water form, rather than milk.

Thanks - your posts are always so helpful.

in the USA we are required to have a 10 day pre op diet consisting of protein shakes the hand out and a list of 15 fruits and vegetables.

I dont like the shakes, anyone know a protein tablet which i can take?

The dietitian I saw at my pre-op check on Wednesday when I asked what shakes if any I should use refused to reccommend a particular brand but said instead to add a scoop of skimmed milk powder to milk as this would add protein without added sugars etc. I have brought some MyProtein samples so far tried the mint chocolate one but hated it, it tasted more like the Kaolin and Morph my used to give me as a child when I had an upset stomach. Yuk! tried it twice once with water and again with milk both disgusting.

ive looked for tablets but you have to take loads to get the same amount of protein as in a shake, i dont like the shakes either but going to have to force at least one per day down the whey protein powder i got has 21 grams of protein in a half scoop mixed with 100ml of milk or water its ok but i would rather take a tablet xx

Is slim fast a protein shake?...I am assuming its skimmed milk?.. that is used

I have a lot to learn can you tell!

Back