• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Healing scars ?

Bella'sBand

Hi everyone, Week and a half post op now and feeling good, only problem is my scars do not seem to be healing. Am I being a little impatient or should they still look really bad?
I was told they are glued closed but I have had a three have this transparent plastic thread pop out, anyone had that? I cannot pull them out as they seem fixed but they are sticking out of the scar wounds, normal for laproscopic scars or should I be worried?
Thanks everyone :)

Hi Bella

I wouldn't worry. As long as the areas are not hot and inflamed it should be fine. It could be the glue that was used stuck to some hair follicles or possibly they used stitches internally for some reason, it is difficult to tell without seeing them. At the wound edges still sitting together? No gaping or oozing?

Kate

Thanks Keb, It is hard to tell if they are open as the size from one end of the scar to the other varies and are still thick with dry blood. There is no oozing or ''smells'' coming from them but this hard clear plastic protruding out is rather worrying. Its like fishing line lol its definitely not hairs. The skin is puckering also they are not straight across some have ends like an envelope and I keep thinking what shape are they doing to be once healed? Will they look like a sideways Y? Not attractive. I mean I expected scars and know they will take time to heal, but other than the bruising going down they look the same as they did the day of surgery :( and the hard plastic poking out is not exactly filling me with confidence. If they are disolvable internale stitches why are they poking out and they are so thick I am worried how long they could take to disolve?

The stitches I am used to using at work when I suture usually dissolve in about 3 weeks, everyone is different though and how their body reacts and absorbs this material can be different. The suturing material used is thicker than you think, it is thicker than cotton that you would use for sewing etc.

Mine are still scabbed and I don't want to fiddle with them. I have one on my right side that looks folded over and puckered, it's still a little red around the edges and has some glue sticking out of it. I really wouldn't worry from what you've said but call your provider if it concerns you

Although we hadn't different surgeries I think they use the same method of internally sewing up then gluing the outside. They are definitely the stitches from inside, it happened to me too. For some reason 2 poked there way through to the surface. My surgeon took a look at mine and told me they would fall out naturally in time. They did. Not sure why it happens sometimes but he wasn't concerned at all. Get your GP to take a look if you are really concerned but mine didn't fall out to 6 weeks post op. I think it can happen as early as 3 weeks though. As for the scars and how they are looking it's normal for them to still be red and puffy sore for a while but if they look infected or smell then go straight to your GP to get them checked out.

Thank you ladies, that really puts my mind at ease. It is really hard not to pick them though but I am resisting. Good to know they should be disolved in 3/6 weeks and that they are stitches. But do they usually use stitches and glue? I feel like the glue is not letting the edges of the scar come together full and I will be left with this valley type of scar. Well I guess I will just have to wait and see.
But sincerely thank you both, you really have put my mind at ease :)

Hi,

Even though I had a bypass, those scars sound like mine. My skin has always healed slowly, but at nearly 4 weeks now, they are all great. I had 2 which were thick with blood / glue, and I was a bit worried how they would heal. As the skin has healed underneath, it just kind of pushed the scab further and further up until it came off. Now there is just a little dip, but it's not yet totally healed and I am not worried about how it looks.
It has taken a while for those 2, and if mine were a bit red I just dabbed them with some diluted dettol - more for peace of mind.
Hope this helps you, and that you can see the improvement soon.
Em x

Thank Angelica and Lyzzyane :D so nice of you both to share your experiences :)

This is my worst scar at 3 months post op. the others are mostly faded. I was also stitched and glued.

Attachments

• image-3796846081.jpg
    image-3796846081.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 60
Thank you Yvessa for sharing :)

Back