• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Helllooooo from Cornwall

penguina

Gone a bit tongue tied now ;) ! I am Trisha from the far West of Cornwall.

I had a letter Christmas Eve saying I had got funding and would be passed to the surgical team. Not quite sure what that means in terms of timings. I was referred (after asking my Doctor to) for WLS in Sept O9, so it seems to have been forever already.

I guess I have passed a hurdle but am not sure if anyone on the surgical team can say "hey hang on we have made a mistake - she doesn't deserve surgery" Not sure if I feel nervous, excited, or just my normal nothing. Guess I am a bit fed up today, and I shouldn't be really.

Hi and :welcome: to WLS, Im from Manchester so dont know much about your PCT or hospital but I would be suprised if they turned you down after getting funding unless you were unfit healthwise for the op, it would have to be something pretty bad I think :D Its a very up/down journey to surgery so its normal to feel down sometimes. Good Luck XX

Hi Trisha and welcome to the forum.

I too received my letter, but it also had the name of the hospital I was being referred to on it. I phoned them and got the information (although there was also a letter in the post).

If you know which hospital it is, perhaps you could phone them and get an idea of what happens next.

Thank you, yeah I guess the last year has been a roller coaster. And this 'after Christmas downer' is quite normal anyway. Well done on your weight loss so far.

Thanks Jane, I know we have to travel to Taunton Somerset, which is a 250 mile round trip. Maybe that is the way to go, phone them, but I don't want to upset them and look too pushy. Maybe I'll wait till next week when things are back to normal a bit more. :thankyou:

Hi Trish welcome to the family!Maz x

Don't know why I think this but aren't they doing them in Truro now? Maybe Plymouth will extract their digits and get bariatric surgery organised!! LOL

Welcome and hope you get good news soon

xxxxx

All the very best on your WLS journey Trisha....

Sending love and hugs to you xxx

Thank you for all the kind welcomes, I do feel a bit happier already.

Yes Angela, they are doing bands in Truro but I have always said I wanted a bypass and the Weight loss management peeps agreed. Bypasses go to Taunton, well unless they have started the bypasses already in Truro, I have been kinda out of the loop not seeing anyone really since last May.

All started out OK with visits to the weight loss team in October & Dec 2009 and Feb 2010 but after about March the appointments were not forthcoming, so I chased them up and got two. I queried this but they said I had to attend. I even queried the second was at the dermatitis dept (which was closed at night I found out) I rushed around to the diabetic dept I had been to before to be asked "what are you doing here?!!" To top it all our car was hit in the car park while we were inside waiting! Still by this time my blood pressure was measured at 175/96 so that looked 'good' on my sheet

I saw the Psychologist in May, who was happy with me, but then the Doc at the Weight loss team was replaced, and the new one wanted me to see a psychologist. Again I queried this but they said no you must go miss one appointment and they kick you off the programme. After another 70 mile round trip to Truro, I was in and out in less than 10 minutes as he said "but you have seen my colleague!" I have never got to meet the guy who took over my case in April, but hey he put me forward for funding so he can't be all bad.

I just hope the new referral to the surgical team goes more smoothly. TThat is really why I want to know what happens now. The original Doc I saw in Oct 2009 said I could be done within a year if all went smoothly...

Hi Pen - Welcome to the forum. Good Luck with your weight loss surgery and I hope that they don`t keep you waiting too long.

Trouble is you psych yourself up for things to happen, jump through various hoops, and hope someone actually listens to you and helps you on your journey to get the surgery you need!

Take care hun x

Love and Best Wishes Kat x

Thanks Kat
We could be 4'11" Twins !! That is my problem I am not overweight I am just vertically challenged.

The past 3 or 4 months have been up and down, I changed GP's as a last ditch attempt with my surgery. Having been there 13 years I just had no rapport with my Doc, and was just crying and sleeping all the time. The new Doc is a honey and very easy to talk to but I am now tagged with this and that and have a drawer full of pills and potions. I am not wholly convinced I am diabetic, but am I think, 'there or there about's'.

I am due to start Statins at the weekend but now am thinking well if surgery comes fairly quickly should I do it? As surely I would be off them after surgery? (He prescribed them on 20th before I had had my letter, but delayed starting them till the new year in case I had any muscle / joint problems over Christmas).

Oh how it helps to talk, Thanks guys :wavey: Regards Trisha

hiya hun :welcome2: to WLS, you don't say exactly where in Cornwall you are from except the far west, i don't know if you know, there is a lady on here from Penzance, she had her op not too long ago, if you live in that area maybe you could get together and she could talk you through everything, her username on here is Smilergem she is a lovely lady and i'm sure would be pleased to help you. I was born and raised in Penzance also but moved to Surrey at 19 yrs old otherwise i would offer to meet up with you too, tho i do still go 'home' as my family are still there.
Good luck with your journey hun :)

Hi ya Shaz Thanks for the welcome, no I didn't know there was a PZ lady on here, I am further West than that - and as you know there is not much more! But like you, I don't live where I was born, I am an incomer from Oxfordshire, but truly love Penwith.

My friend in the village went private for Gastric bypass last January, so I have followed her progress closely and my Diabetic nurse had a band, but a new local lady would be great to talk to, especially if she went down the NHS route. Thanks for that, hopefully we can meet up on here shortly.

Did you have your baby after your op? I have noticed quite a few ladies on here with babies. Sadly I am now too old for all that. I wish in that instance I was 15-20 years younger. My niece has just had a baby, so I shall just have to be an exceptionally good Great Aunt!

no hun thats my grandaughter :) no more babies for me now, grandaughter is lovely but it's good to be able to hand her back at end of the day, she is 18months old now and wears me out lol you forget just how hard having babies is ;) where abouts do you live then i used to live in Sennen when i was a teenager or is that too far west :)

Thanks Kat
We could be 4'11" Twins !! That is my problem I am not overweight I am just vertically challenged.

The past 3 or 4 months have been up and down, I changed GP's as a last ditch attempt with my surgery. Having been there 13 years I just had no rapport with my Doc, and was just crying and sleeping all the time. The new Doc is a honey and very easy to talk to but I am now tagged with this and that and have a drawer full of pills and potions. I am not wholly convinced I am diabetic, but am I think, 'there or there about's'.

I am due to start Statins at the weekend but now am thinking well if surgery comes fairly quickly should I do it? As surely I would be off them after surgery? (He prescribed them on 20th before I had had my letter, but delayed starting them till the new year in case I had any muscle / joint problems over Christmas).

Oh how it helps to talk, Thanks guys :wavey: Regards Trisha

Trisha - Sorry I missed your name first time x

My problem that I had was although I wasn`t as morbidly obese as some; I was very short and had very high blood pressure - that was erratic to say the least, as well as very high cholesterol (among other health problems). I was taking medication for all of these; and kept passing out at times. I was worried about a stroke or heart attack; and that was why I decided to go private and have my band fitted. At the moment still have to have medication including statins, although my GP says that they will be reduced in strength and hopefully discontinued once the weight eventually comes off.

So pleased that you have changed doctors and are feeling happier with the one that you now have.

You may have to have the statins for a short while; but I would advise talk it over with your GP before too long, as they are the best at advising you.

Good Luck for the future, let us know when you get a date for your surgery.

Happy New Year to you hun x

Love Kat x

LOL well you don't look old enough to have a Grand-daughter, still both my grannies were old school Grannies who looked old before their time. My mum at 77 now looks like how I remember my Gran (and I look like a much fatter version of my Mum in her 40's but my in my mind I am still in my late 20's !!)
Yes Sennen is too far West we are misty Buryan, so half way between really. I think near Lands End sounds so much nicer though.

Aww thanks hun i'm blushing now lol i remember St Buryan well, and we drive through there everytime we go to Porthcurno, yes Smilergem did go through NHS and as far as i am aware went to Taunton. :)

LOL Shaz I believe all the bad boys live in Buryan - Or at least bad teenage boys where teenage girls are concerned!!

Hi Kat

Thanks for the reply, the worry about worrying about a stoke /heart attack wouldn't have helped you either. I am glad the band is working for you. I just thought I would / will die young if I don't do something finally. I was waking with a racing heart during the night, which I didn't think was good, although this has passed since I have lost a little weight, and stopped the high sugar binges. My BMI was 51.1 in Oct 09 but I think I am down to about 48

My original Doc didn't seem bothered by any of the test results that were ordered by the weight loss management group, just gave me iron tablets as my ferritin was low at 18. I still don't think it is particularly high at 36 but there you go.

When I changed docs he put me on Metformin and Thyroxine and now Statins and there is talk of blood pressure tablets too but we would see how the statins work first. My cholesterol wasn't that high at 5.3 but as I say I have already tried adapting my diet and they want to get it below 4. I guess I will start them on Sunday and see what happens. They maybe no good with being hypo.

Anyway thanks for all being so kind on my first day. Talk some more shortly. Thanks T xx

Hello fellow Cornish resident!! I'm also from cornwall, but very east!! I went private and decided to opt for Taunton as the surgeon was amazing! Hope all goes well for u! Xx

Back