• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello - not sure what surgery to have

minxie

Hi everyone, I'm Minxie and I have been lurking for a little while. After a lifetime of dieting, diet clubs, crash diets (you get the picture!) I am considering surgery. I'm undecided as to what though - gastric band versus sleeve. As my BMI is under 40 I have to fund this myself and I don't want to pay out for a gastric band and find it doesn't work well for me. However I'm a bit scared of more drastic surgery.
Can anyone offer any advice?

A bit more about me - I eat huge portions, can eat all day long, am an emotional eater - happy=eating, sad=eating, bored=eating. My social life revolves around cooking for friends/family or going out to eat. I have losts tons of weight in the past 30 years, only to put it all back on (and then some). I'm 5ft 4ins with a BMI of about 37-38. No associated risks so no funding.

I know 5 people who have had bands - 2 very happy, one quite happy but wishes she'd had a bypass, two who haven't lost much. And I have one friend who had a bypass and has lost loads and is pretty happy.

Sorry this is so long, I'm just not sure what to do.

well im biased :p I love my sleeve, it was the right choice for me. The one thing that really bothered me about the sleeve was that it wasnt reversable - but when i honestly thought about what id do if i could eat like a heffer again, i knew i would! So i didnt want anything reversable.

I didnt want a band because the thought of being filled and de-filled, and the risks of the band slipping etc left me feeling there would be too much to worry about post op. Especially as i was also self funding, i didnt want to have to keep going back.

But it really is only you who can decide whats best for you. Id say read as many posts on this forum as you can. We are real people who talk about the real issues with each weight loss surgery.

Good luck deciding! x

Hi

I'm pre-op and not sure what I'm having yet (got an appointment with consultant on 11th July and will discuss it then) but think that's great advice from Deets.

So many people have shared their journeys on here, downs as well as ups, that having good mooch round should help x x

Hi

Confusing isnt it?! I had my band over 2 years ago and I must admit if the sleeve was an option for me then I would of considered it too!

I have lost all of the weight I wanted to with my band but the important thing to remember is that surgery is just a tool. You have to be prepared to work with whichever option you chose and change your eating and exercise habbits permanantly to get the best results.

Which surgery to have is such a personal decision, I would advise to research as much as possible. Then if you decide to take the plunge and meet a consultant - be honest about your eating habbits as you have done on here and let them offer you some advice.

Good luck x

Hi Minxie,
I was looking at the sleeve but after a consultation on Friday based on my eating habits (seems we're the same) my surgeon advised the bypass would be better for me. I came out of the meeting feeling disheartened but after talking to quite a few people on various forums have realised that he knows best.
Good luck with your decision x

Thank you everyone. I've had time to read and think more now and I think that a bypass is where I'm heading. It's so great being able to ask questions here and get good answers from others experiencing the same things as I do:)

i was given the choice of bypass or the sleeve (both work well for diabetics) but i chose the bypass over the sleeve as there is more bumpf on it than the sleeve as its still early days for that operation

Back