• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help on operation date

Sprinkle

I have an appointment letter for Feb with my consultant and it states that i will be told if its a yes or no for the operation and if it is a yes i may be asked to attend the preassessment department straight away. Does anyone have experience with NHS gastric bypass and how long they had to wait before the operation after being told it was a yes?

I can't answer your question as i'm pre op, well i can answer a bit and i'll try but you need to give us more information...

1. Which hospital are you going to have your op done at?
2. Do you have funding already in place?
3. Have you checked the guidelines for your pct to see if you qualify for the surgery?

Not sure how much you know so here's how it goes with some pct's. Your doctor refers you to your local bariatric surgeon for the surgery. You go for a consultation. Your surgeon discusses your surgery options and then applys for funding. You then get informed if you have/haven't got funding and go on the waiting list. You get your pre op appt and then surgery. Oh and you have the joy of a pre op diet which varies in length with different pct's....

Good luck on your journey xx

Hi i think it varies so much from area to area i attended a pre introduction meeting before i had my apt with surgeon and was told i,d been accepted at pre op meeting.

I will be getting it done at sunderland hospital, thats if it is a yes! Its been nearly a year since i went to the first group seminar on the different kinds of things you can have done, then i attended another clinic where i spoke to a dietian regarding which operation i think would be best for me and they asked bout all the past diets i had been on etc etc and got weighed to see if i had lost anything since the previous seminar. Then had to go to the hospital to get a list of blood tests done for them and now in a week i have appointment with the psychology weight team, then month after that i have appointment with consultant. And no i dont think funding has been dealt with yet... i presume that will be discussed with the consultant when i see him in a month and if its a yes :confused: Im sort of thinking that it might be 6/7months after the meeting with the consultant in a month? as thats when he is deciding to go ahead or not.

I think it depends where you live.

In Huddersfield the only way to get round the 18 week rule was to give the go ahead do all the tests required then refer back to GP be re-referred back to surgeon then on waiting list because it couldn't all be done within the 18 week period.

I waited more than 18 weeks so that's how I ended up at the Nuffield in Leeds - but apparently that no longer happens

Will depend whether funding is in place and what pre-op tests you may need

Hope this helps

Angela

Back