• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help traumatic band fill-now I can't eat/drink

Kennedy12345

I've had the band for about three years. Doing well ect until after I had my son 11 months ago. My band seemed to get very tight and due to having a new baby and the stress I had a total aspiration. Anyway went to get my first fill today and they put 4mls in. They asked me to have a drink of water which I couldn't swallow. They attempted several times to find my port any after about an hour the nurse finally said that she could not find it and was not happy sticking a needle in me again. They sent me home and promised to call me in the morning. I'm still struggling to drink anything just about managing hot drinks but it's still sticking? Any advice? Has anyone been through anything similar? I've had 4mls in the past and it's been fine. What are the chances of it easing off? Thanks x

This sounds bad and I would go back ASAP and get it sorted x I think 4mls in one go seems too much, hope you get it sorted soon it's horrible situation to be in xx

yes I have and recently!

4. Mls isn't a lot after a complete aspiration but I am surprised that they didn't go more gentle based on your experience of being too tight :(

My Recent fill (9th) took me to being over restricted, I struggled for four weeks, ate only 3 mush meals could eat ryvita but then it got super tight. I struggled, could only drink warm liquids, at the end couldn't even swallow my own saliva. I survived on warm milk for 2 weeks but it got tighter and tighter. The inflammation under the band outside of the stomach is further irritated by the insides which causes swelling and makes it tighter, I kept thinking it would ease off - it didn't. And they said to me after if you can't drink freely at time of fill or shortly after it's unlikely to ease off, and the over restriction then leads yo more swelling, more pressure and the band becomes tighter still.

I had to have a defill, but one thing I will say to you please do NOT leave this, if you can't drink properly then there's too much in there and it's important not to leave it. I got told off for leaving it as long as I did, as it can lead to some serious band issues, but my son was having surgery and I couldn't get there.

Call them as soon as you can and please do not leave this, it's not good for you or the band.

Thanks. I will speak to them in the morning and try and get an appointment. Any suggestion for liquid diet so far I've thought if cuppa soup lol x

I can't believe they would let you go home unable to swallow water - that's awful! As per the advice above, definitely get on to your provider tomorrow and get an aspiration.
As for the warm drinks, have you tried warm milk?

Thanks. I will speak to them in the morning and try and get an appointment. Any suggestion for liquid diet so far I've thought if cuppa soup lol x

- drinking yoghurt
- fruit juice
- vegetable juice
- smoothies
- slim fast
- soup, if lumps blend or sieve and thin if necessary
- milk, milky coffee, milk mixed with options hot chocolate of no added sugar crusha milkshake
- no added sugar squash and water

:)

Sounds awful! Can't believe they let you go home.

Another idea for hot drinks is Bovril/chicken bovril.

Have you spoken to them yet? Sounds awful for them to send you away. Try not to get too stressed as that may make the band feel tighter. You may have had more than four mils previously but aspirating then refilling can be a different scenario than previously, as the band may have repositioned itself ever so the effect of the fill could be different. Best of luck and let us know how you get on x

How can anyone be sent home when they cannot even swallow..its very worrying :/

Back