• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hi im new and thinking about a sleeve

dollybee

I'm new to all this! Due to medication, I've put on 4 stone in the last year. I'm desperate to lose the weight and if I'm honest, I've neither the inclination or will power to diet or exercise. Sounds awful I know! My bmi is 35 and I've always battled with my weight. My main concerns are... 1/ fluid intake, I would dread being dehydrated 2/ the surgeon takes too much stomach away and I carry on losing weight, ie too much loss 3/if I have the op abroad, will I get nhs support when I return to the uk 4/ I've had 3 caesareans so I'm not scared of pain but I hate throwing up, will it be unbearable? 5/ if i do go abroad, is it dodgy or dangerous? 6/ will I be able to live normally after! So many questions! Sorry in advance. Any advice would be gratefully received xxx
Ps I'm going to have to go private or abroad, any experiences or preferences that are reasonable in cost would be much appreciated

Last edited:
I cant help too much with your questions but didnt want to read & run so welcome to the site, I'm sure someone will be along shortly with some answers for you.
I was sleeved 2 weeks ago, just introducing pureed foods (slowly) only sickness so far was my first day out, I have no regrets as yet & can only see a good future ahead...

Good luck with your decision making :)

I cant help too much with your questions but didnt want to read & run so welcome to the site, I'm sure someone will be along shortly with some answers for you.
I was sleeved 2 weeks ago, just introducing pureed foods (slowly) only sickness so far was my first day out, I have no regrets as yet & can only see a good future ahead...

Good luck with your decision making :)

Gemzy, can i ask what was your bmi? Did you have any ilnesses?

Hello dollybee. Sorry i can not help you a lot either! I never concidered private or abroad as i could not afford it. I am sure someone else will answer your questions for you :)

Good luck :)

Just popping in to say hello. Good luck with everything

Gemzy, can i ask what was your bmi? Did you have any ilnesses?

Hi Llora my highest BMI was 48 & I was classed as borderline diabetic, no medication just diet controlled for the past 5 years, mad I could control my blood sugars but not my weight :sigh:

sorry dont know the private/abroad route i was also worried about dehydration as i drank masses pre op but it hasnt been an issue post op i am also diabetic was metformin controlled now no meds since op hope that helps a little

I'm new to all this! Due to medication, I've put on 4 stone in the last year. I'm desperate to lose the weight and if I'm honest, I've neither the inclination or will power to diet or exercise. Sounds awful I know! My bmi is 35 and I've always battled with my weight. My main concerns are... 1/ fluid intake, I would dread being dehydrated 2/ the surgeon takes too much stomach away and I carry on losing weight, ie too much loss 3/if I have the op abroad, will I get nhs support when I return to the uk 4/ I've had 3 caesareans so I'm not scared of pain but I hate throwing up, will it be unbearable? 5/ if i do go abroad, is it dodgy or dangerous? 6/ will I be able to live normally after! So many questions! Sorry in advance. Any advice would be gratefully received xxx
Ps I'm going to have to go private or abroad, any experiences or preferences that are reasonable in cost would be much appreciated

Hi dollybee! I was sleeved back in January and thus far have no regrets. My start BMI was 45 and I had no medical issues whatsoever but after 25 odd years of the same lose it, put it back on cycle I had had enough. NHS wasn't an option so I went private. Personally going abroad, for me wasn't an option. I wanted to be close to home, just in case.........but that's only me. I live in the NE of Scotland and wanted to be as close to home as poss so chose the BMI group. Lovely surgeon and great team. The only real pain I had from the op was the referred wind pain in my shoulders, which really wasn't pleasant! No pain whatsoever from the wounds. I was a bit ill after surgery due to a post op bleed and subsequent transfusion and couldn't hold much of anything down the first couple of weeks.
I think I have lost a lot in a short space of time (7 stone in just over 5 months) and it does concern me that I might not be able to stop losing but I'm sure I'm being pretty daft and will probably regret saying that as am sure that I can eat just a little more that I could last month!
As for living life normally, as far as I am concerned that way I was living before wasn't really normal, obsessed with food, setting bad eating examples for my kids etc, the list could go on. I won't lie, you have to really, really want this and be ready to change. A couple of years ago WLS wasn't even a consideration but I was ready and in a frustrating but weird way going out for tea (still do often) and not being able to finish a starter was frustrating not being able to finish a small plate but empowering being able to happily leave it (instead of hoovering it up and helping anyone else at the table.

I hope some of the able helps a wee bit, but feel free to ask away of anything else and good luck with your decision.

Hi I am also no expert, I had a band to sleeve revision 28th may so just starting out. I went private as NHS not an option. BMI 41 . I stayed in uk as was worried about the aftercare, but I know plenty of people do go abroad with no problems and feel more than happy with their care so I guess it's about budgets, research and personal choices. I don't think you should worry too much about the immediate post op stuff, it all passes quickly and by then you,ll know so much your concerns will be more than answered. Good luck x

Back