• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Thinking about surgery and I'm worried about skin

Pyrate_Lilly

Okay so this is the first time I've ever written on anything like this. I've been under a nhs weight loss program called why weight for over a year now and the dietitian asked me if I'd thought about surgery as she thought it might be good for me. I'm currently around 23 stone and tall (5"10) and I really do have big bones. Anyway I'm almost certain about having the sleeve but the only thing that puts me off if having issues with loose skin. I'm only 28 and I haven't even started my life I've never even had a boyfriend and I'm not sure if having all that skin would set me back even further. So my question is, Is it a definite that I'll get it? Is there anything that can be done to minimise it? Sorry to ramble on lol

I will be honest here I think loose skin will be a factor it something you need to get your head round,my thinking is that if you have been overweight for a very long time the skin as stretched and sometimes doesn't always spring back ,leaving saggy skin, yes starting a keep fit routine may help and toning programmes too but everyone is different ive got saggy skin and some days I look and play around with it trying to imagine how I would look without it or guessing how many lbs the skin weights and it does drive me nuts and other days I think its a small price to pay for been nearly half the woman I use to be plus there are some amazing underwear out there that shape me really well and really help me to feel better
re relationships.....if a guy does approach you he has already seen something in you that he likes and that's a great start !
I wish you every success

Hi and welcome to the forum, I agree with Los in it, what I would add is you will probably end up with loose skin however you managed to lose the weight, whether it is surgery, dieting or exercise.

It is just one of the truths we have to face up to unfortunately, the fact you're still young should help. My doctor was blunt with me and told me the only way to avoid the loose skin would be to keep the weight on. Harsh I know, but it did make me face the fact it was a small price to pay for the innumerable benefits surgery can provide.

Hope you make the right decision for you, I would try reading some diaries of Long termer's as they'll normally discuss the skin issue at some point.

I think loose skin is something we all have to contend with, but it does vary wildly, get saving for surgery is all I can suggest :)

You are young so you might snap back quite well..everyone has had different skin issues. To be fair I've been lucky, size 18/20 to size 6 and been fat since 9 years old..no issues with skin but we are all different. Don't let it put you off this life changing surgery because the improvement to your life is so worth it and believe me most men won't even notice!! We all have bits we don't like and that never goes away no matter what size we are!!
For your height you would be looking at a 10st loss to put you in the normal weight range..there are ladies here who have lost this amount and I'm sure they can offer their advice to you..but my advice is do it x

I've lost over 12st and i'm 52 years old and tbh the only place where I have noticable loose skin is the very top of my thighs, which I may or may not get done, I'm not really bothered about it :)

You're young so it will be easier, I'm old and have had 3 kids so a tummy tuck was a dream even before I got so fat! I was worried about the skin issue but now I figure it's the price I will have to pay for doing harm to myself in the first place, I am seriously considering the surgery route at some point but it's less bothersome than I thought it would be

Skin will be a problem but what would you rather have? The 23 stone or loose skin? You're going to get loose skin whether you diet and loose the weight naturally or by surgery, it's now too late for you to stop loose skin.

Loose skin can always be removed in the future when your money allows.

I'm 26 and have had 2 children, pregnant with my third. My loose skin is horrid if I'm honest. I didn't think it would be quite as bad. On me, it's everywhere. I could do circus tricks with pegs and things, seriously. That being said though I'd much MUCH rather have the loose skin and be able to hide it than carry around the extra 12+ stone I was 2 years ago. A small sacrifice for such a drastic life change. Don't let the thought of loose skin blurr how incredible the op is, go for it :) x

Hiya, I'm 26 and considering weight loss surgery, also worried about the loose skin.. But I think I'd rather have that than be fat forever.. Good luck x

Back