• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hi There!

Branches

Hi There,

My first post! Although I have been reading the boards for a long time!
I am thinking about getting the sleeve and have been talking to my husband about it for a while. I don't think I would get it on the NHS and so we are looking at me going privately. I think this will prob be abroad but am currently looking at all of our options before I book and commit to something.

The whole thing makes me petrified, but I do know it's the right thing to do!

Hello *waves*

Hi Kimberley, welcome to the forum. You've certainly come to the right place for advice and lots of support x

Welcome Kimberly ! I have a gastric band so not much help to you really .. But there are plenty on here who can help
Xxxx

Hi Kimberley I'm 6 days after a sleeve ....
From the start of my Liver reduction diet til my first weigh in today I've dropped 32lbs ....
It's not been easy especially doing the LRD but it's worth it for the surgery ...
There were 2 of us having this sleeve same day same Hosp we were in recovery together ... For the first 2 hrs back on the ward I sat and thought What have I done the enormity of it all hit me about the change in my life ....
I got up straight away and was walking up and down and going to the toilet ... I was sent home the next day .... The other girl didn't get up and was in a lot of pain the nurses said to her you must get up and moving but she was still in the bed when I went home ...
I have different posts all over this forum (not got the hang of it yet) but today I asked my gp should I feel this good !!!
He said still take it easy it's the inside healing that we have to watch.
But I do feel good today !!! Could be different tomorow lol
And I'm so glad I've had it done my family wernt to sure at first more about surgery at my size than being Bariatric ... As my 23 yr old said 'mum I've never seen you slim' (true)
But they are all behind me now and looking forward to being with me as I go on this change to my life xxxx

Hi. Welcome. I have a band and am getting a sleeve in June. After some research I decided on Prague.

Thank you for the replies!

Hi Kimberley I'm 6 days after a sleeve ....
From the start of my Liver reduction diet til my first weigh in today I've dropped 32lbs ....
It's not been easy especially doing the LRD but it's worth it for the surgery ...
There were 2 of us having this sleeve same day same Hosp we were in recovery together ... For the first 2 hrs back on the ward I sat and thought What have I done the enormity of it all hit me about the change in my life ....
I got up straight away and was walking up and down and going to the toilet ... I was sent home the next day .... The other girl didn't get up and was in a lot of pain the nurses said to her you must get up and moving but she was still in the bed when I went home ...
I have different posts all over this forum (not got the hang of it yet) but today I asked my gp should I feel this good !!!
He said still take it easy it's the inside healing that we have to watch.
But I do feel good today !!! Could be different tomorow lol
And I'm so glad I've had it done my family wernt to sure at first more about surgery at my size than being Bariatric ... As my 23 yr old said 'mum I've never seen you slim' (true)
But they are all behind me now and looking forward to being with me as I go on this change to my life xxxx

Wow Tracey Anne, sounds like you are very lucky, I hope it continues being so good for you! Lovely to hear such a positive story.

Hi. Welcome. I have a band and am getting a sleeve in June. After some research I decided on Prague.

Would love to hear more of why you made that decision Sunshine, unfortunately I don't have enough posts to pm yet, but when I do.....
I think the hardest part of surgery abroad is the coming home, no one ever seems to talk about how they felt on the plane journey or waiting at the airport etc.?

Hello newbie!

I travelled to Belgium for my bypass using coach, taxi and Eurostar...the hardest part was the taxi journey from St Pancras to Victoria Coach Station, very bumpy but uncomfortable rather than painful. I travelled alone too

I travelled to Belgium for my bypass using coach, taxi and Eurostar...the hardest part was the taxi journey from St Pancras to Victoria Coach Station, very bumpy but uncomfortable rather than painful. I travelled alone too

Interesting, I would be travelling with my husband, so I would have help. For some reason I think I would book surgery tomorrow if it was in this country and I had the money. I do have the money to have it done abroad and yet can't bring myself to do it!

Hi and welcome...i know a lot of people have gone abroad with no issues, for me after how i felt after my general aneasthetic and afterwards just getting home the half hour in the car was bad enough! I would not have wanted to make the journey home from abroad. But...plenty have and lived to tell the tale! Good luck with your wls joyrney x

Would love to hear more of why you made that decision Sunshine, unfortunately I don't have enough posts to pm yet, but when I do.....
I think the hardest part of surgery abroad is the coming home, no one ever seems to talk about how they felt on the plane journey or waiting at the airport etc.?
Hi. I'm having my sleeve on a Tuesday and will be travelling back on Friday eve. I've booked myself in business class for more comfort. Some people get discharged after a day in uk so 3 days I should be walking about well. I'll let you know if I have the journey before you book. Do your research well though

Hi. I'm having my sleeve on a Tuesday and will be travelling back on Friday eve. I've booked myself in business class for more comfort. Some people get discharged after a day in uk so 3 days I should be walking about well. I'll let you know if I have the journey before you book. Do your research well though

I am a huge researcher in everything I do, but I've read so much I am confusing myself! Good luck for Tuesday, I bet you are excited? Have you had to do a pre op diet?

Hi Kimberley. It's not this Tuesday I still have a month but have already started my diet. I'll will also do the milk diet a week before. My provider said it was not necessary but I'm still going to do it coz I did it when I had my band.

Right had a big chat with husband this weekend, he's always supported it as he just wants me happy.
He knows me inside and out, and said I'm just overthinking everything. We got some quotes here and abroad and I think I have settled on Belgium. Although still worried about the journey home!

I have emailed them today with some more questions and to see if they have availability in Aug as DH has 2 weeks booked off work then. DH just said stop thinking about it and book it!

I have phoned up my docs today and booked an appoint to talk to them tomorrow to see about aftercare etc. Not really sure what I should be asking but will see what they say!

There a quite a few on here who have had surgery abroad so maybe start a thread asking them for advice ?
Good luck and I'm sure you won't regret it
Mindy
Xxxx

Back