• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How come...?

Bookie

Reading quite a few threads, I see quite a few people went from band to something more drastic, like sleeve or bypass.

May I ask what the motivation was for people? I know for some there was no choice if they had a problem with the band, but I am intrigued where that wasn't an issue.

Is it to do with control, so you just cannot eat too much even if you wanted to? Or another reason?

Sometimes the band fails mechanically ie leaks, so has to be removed and more permanent surgery used to replace it. Mostly though its because the band was the wrong initial choice and the person fails the band rather than the band fails the person. It takes a special kind of person to make the band a long term success, it would have been a waste of time for me for instance I'd have failed with the band big style

What he said ^^^^

Likewise the band wouldn't have worked for me - that chocolate would have slipped down a treat!!

I believe some providers (private & NHS) are dropping the band from services they offer

So here you have two answers from people who haven't converted! So, here's another but from a bander, just to balance it out :D

One member on here Sashie, has had a band, sleeve and now a bypass. It might be worth looking her up to get a perspective on things. Most of the converters I know of have had problems with their band a number of years out which has warranted its removal. For instance, one members was damaged during a plastic surgery op, another had ongoing port pain (which is not the norm).

I had my band over four years ago, I knew I wanted a band and thats what I got. Yes its important to get the right op for you and your eating habbits but ALL options are only a tool. You have to be prepared to change the habbits that made you fat, which means you have to go into it knowing what you need to do. Out with the old - in with the new and move around more.

It always makes me smile when bypassers quote the old chocolate or ice cream etc going down a treat, as if they can't 'cheat' with a bypass. In reality you may not dump with sugar or fat and could sit and do exactly the same - BUT why on earth would you :confused:

My eating habbits were too much volume and the band stops that, job done. I don't have a sweet tooth, although I do like the odd bit of chocolate (I am a woman after all!!!)

I'm sitting next to someone at work today who had a bypass and they must get through a family pack of crisps a week while they are here - shocking :eek:

And yes Karlos, you are right, I am very special ;)

Thanks, Mazza.

Yes, I'm the same as you, I'm not even that interested in food, but when I am hungry, I have to eat, simple as that. I do have an older sister who has a very unhealthy relationship to food, and she was one of the early people to get bariatrics, she got her stomach stapled many years ago, but she put all the weight back on and more because past the initial amazing weight loss, she just changed her bad habits... Crazy. I saw her demolish a tablet of chocolate with marzipan filling in the space of minutes, little piece by little piece, seemingly not even paying attention to what she was doing, just mechanically feeding pieces of chocolate into her mouth, and I remember thinking: "why would you do that?". she was SO unhappy getting fatter and fatter that she had to get this extreme operation done, to just throw it all away... what the hell?

To me, the op is a tool, and I know it's not going to be plain sailing, but like any tool, it only works if you want it to, as you say, I'm sure there are plenty of ways of cheating, but surely the only person you're cheating is yourself? *shrugs*

im waiting to revise from band to bypass have funding and mdt next week

i was advised bypass at intial consult but got totally freaked and had band, first nearly 2 yrs lost just over 7 stone and maintained it nicely untill i got pregnant band was emptied and i gained in a year all the weight back, got diagnosed with pnd which led to a mild bpolar and was put on mood stabalisers which make u gain weight and gained another 4stone , kept having fills and was not getting anywhere apart from chrohnic heartburn n reflux and it now turns out iv had a band slip, so im now weighing more that i did pre band:( i cant wait for my bypass now to get myself sorted, bands can be amazing things but of all the 4 people i know personally that have had them 2 revised to bypass because of band slipping one because she didnt loose weight and one so far that is doing ok with hers but is only a year in. long term i think bands can be prone to problems and once you fall of the healthy lifestyle wagon it very easy to cheat my band has failed me firstly because of tecdhnical issues but ultimatly i was begining to struggle not to use slider foods. the first few years tho bands can be great in the right hands just takes will power

To me, the op is a tool, and I know it's not going to be plain sailing, but like any tool, it only works if you want it to, as you say, I'm sure there are plenty of ways of cheating, but surely the only person you're cheating is yourself? *shrugs*

Very true but years of doing just that and justifying bad food choices and inappropriate eating are hard habits to break mate. If we had the food control that you are almost glibly suggesting you have we wouldn't need surgical intervention.

Take a look around and see just how many banders have to resort to further surgery because they have failed with the band. Usually because the band was not the best choice initially. Mazza is very special in that she has worked her band and made it a fantastic success, I truly hope that you will achieve similar results over the next five years.

Not being glib at all, just wondering, that's all.

I mean, surgery has to be the most extreme thing you can do, right? It's not a step that anyone takes lightly, very much a last resort, unless I am mistaken.

I just wonder what makes us sabotage ourselves in such a manner. Anyone can pick up a cigarette again thinking "no big deal, I can stop any time I like", but when one has been sliced and diced inside to achieve this goal, one must know that this is a huge deal. Is this like it was for George Best, who was given a 2nd chance of life with a new liver and still drank himself to death?

Like I said, not glib at all, but thinking hard about things right now.

It's me that had the months of port pain. And if you are a newbie if nervous disposition, please close this thread now and don't read on.

I am a realist and not an "aura fluffer" so if you arent't great on reality.... then don't read on.

Quite simply the band works, if you can't make it work then it's your own fault. You are given rules, you have your lifestyle and you have to find a common ground. Don't get a band if you aren't going to change your eating habits to match your new toy. You will find every conceivable way of getting it past your band and then you won't lose weight, or you won't eat the right things and you won't lose weight, or you'll eat incorrectly or too quickly, blame the band and then will revert to the cycle of not eating properly.

I lost 35kg with it in about 10 months, not too much effort, just simply follow the rules. It works quite simply.

There is a lot of faffing, once you get to your sweet spot, it's a bit of magic. Never hungry, never want big portions, no cravings, simply wonderful.

BUT having had port problems from day one I am so glad to have my life back by having it taken out if me a couple of weeks ago and converted to a bypass.

My conclusion is quite simple. If you could see the damage that the band does to your stomach you would never have it fitted. I have before and after pictures, the after is simply shocking, the scarring is simply open jaw dropping.

If I had had the guts I would have had something else to start with. I took the less invasive option. Cost wasn't the issue for me, I think many people choose this option as it's cheaper.

Don't do it, is my simple opinion. Get something better to start with.

ThinnerJemima: - ""My conclusion is quite simple. If you could see the damage that the band does to your stomach you would never have it fitted. I have before and after pictures, the after is simply shocking, the scarring is simply open jaw dropping.""

Is this damage to your stomach due to the problems you have had or is this in general??
I have not been told that in general my stomach will be damaged........

It's me that had the months of port pain. And if you are a newbie if nervous disposition, please close this thread now and don't read on.

I am a realist and not an "aura fluffer" so if you arent't great on reality.... then don't read on.

Quite simply the band works, if you can't make it work then it's your own fault. You are given rules, you have your lifestyle and you have to find a common ground. Don't get a band if you aren't going to change your eating habits to match your new toy. You will find every conceivable way of getting it past your band and then you won't lose weight, or you won't eat the right things and you won't lose weight, or you'll eat incorrectly or too quickly, blame the band and then will revert to the cycle of not eating properly.

I lost 35kg with it in about 10 months, not too much effort, just simply follow the rules. It works quite simply.

There is a lot of faffing, once you get to your sweet spot, it's a bit of magic. Never hungry, never want big portions, no cravings, simply wonderful.

BUT having had port problems from day one I am so glad to have my life back by having it taken out if me a couple of weeks ago and converted to a bypass.

My conclusion is quite simple. If you could see the damage that the band does to your stomach you would never have it fitted. I have before and after pictures, the after is simply shocking, the scarring is simply open jaw dropping.

If I had had the guts I would have had something else to start with. I took the less invasive option. Cost wasn't the issue for me, I think many people choose this option as it's cheaper.

Don't do it, is my simple opinion. Get something better to start with.

as iv said im a failed bander for a variety of reasons but long term i really think they are problomatic and im surprised they still offer them so readily , i really wish id bypassed as i was advised to do originally.
how have you found the transition in way of eating is it simular to band rules or completly different?

Hi Mazza, I have just read this thread and saw that you mentioned me! :)

I've had band, to sleeve and now to bypass (of sorts!). The band was put in 2007 privately (in the Fern Britton scandal days!) and I had no aftercare whatsoever. It was never right from the start, I was being sick constantly, I never had a "sweet spot", protein never stayed down but the bad stuff did. I lost 8 stone in 3 years before having it completely loosened to go for a surgical procedure. Then of course, the weight piled back on but I was still being sick. I ended up a stone heavier than I was pre-band. I went to a different private hospital for a second opinion and they found my band had slipped badly, my port had flipped and I had stomach damage. They suggested either taking it out altogether or revising it to a sleeve. I knew if they removed it I would be double the size because my brain has never been fixed! So I opted for the sleeve as the bypass freaked me out too much. Unfortunately, the band had been so tight and had slipped so severley, it had cut through my stomach and caused terrible ring of scar tissue, an imprint of the band around my stomach. It was difficult for food to pass through this scar tissue so I was being sick alot again. My bariatric team offered to do a sleeve re-shape/bypass type surgery in it's place to allow food to pass through. I am only 5 days post-op but I am so glad I have done it. I should have just gone band-bypass and not bothered with the sleeve, but the sleeve has got me used to eating much smaller portions and eating much slower. I lost 7 stone with the sleeve since September and I have 1 1/2 stone to go to my target. I know the band works for many people and as I have said before, I admire anyone who can make it work for them. I just wish I hadn't bothered with it financially and mentally! Of course, I maybe should have gone back to my band surgeon, but I had to beg the guy 3 times to consider me for the band. He warned me of problems, slippages and scarring but I ignored it so it was my own fault really.
I'm just so glad I am on the right track now and with my amazing bariatric team, there is no chance of going back to 19 stone for me!

Having sat and read through these posts over the past few days I have to say I'm very concerned to the point I have hardly slept for 2 nights!! The rational side of my brain is telling me that there are many bankers out there and not on the forum who have no issues post op. Surgeons must fit 100's of bands a month across the world. My less rational side now has my OH offering to finance an appointment with a local bariatric surgeon to request a second opinion on if I should have my band removed/upgraded or whatever. I did not research any alternatives to the band and nor were any alternatives suggested or offered at my initial consultation. I thought, maybe naively, that this was because my BMI was not particularly high. I didn't even have to do a pre-op diet due to this. I have a band fill appointment next Monday so I will try to remain rational until then and ask her advise :) any reassurance in the meantime would be gratefully received. Thanks

You have your band inside you. Job done. Why would you change if you aren't having big enough problems to warrant it.

Are you worrying over something you have no control of ?

You have the band in you, make it work ?

Thanks Thinnerjemima. I guess I have an over active imagination and keep thinking of my stomach being eroded and scarred. Every twinge I have felt for the past 3 days is somehow related to my band. You are right I have the band and I need to work with it and stop thinking these crazy thoughts right now. Thanks again

Back