• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How crucial is protein to our weight loss ?

Roch

Shrinking away nicely :)
Hi all i have been struggling with my food the past week or 2 and not been good at all with my protein intake and due to diff things going on in my life at the mo have found myself struggling every day physically and emotionally.
Late last night when i could not sleep i was thinking alot and was just wondering a few things and thought would come on line and get some diff opinions and your thought on the subject.
I also gave myself a stern talking 2 (no i have not lost the plot yet :p) and think i am back on track and going to make a much better effort than i have done the past 10 days, so here i am supping on my protein shake as we talk.
Here is what i was thinking about last night.

1. Do u really make a conscious effort to make sure u have at least 50/60 grms of protein per day.

2. Have u noticed if some weeks ur protein intake is not good has it affected ur weight losses dramatically.

3. I know protein is important for many things for our health especially post Wls but is it really crucial for good weight losses.

4. Have u noticed if u upped ur protein it def helped with ur losses.

5. How much protein do u have per day and does it include shakes and shots and would it be too much 2 have a protein shake and shot if i was struggling with my food and protein intake.

6. Can i make up my protein shake and leave it in the fridge and drink it through the day, will the protein amounts diminish (sorry if thats a thick question :) )

Sorry for all the questions but at the mo i feel i need a right good proverbial size 11 kick up the ar*e to help me get back on track and hopefully reading the true facts about Protein will make me realise that i need to re focus and make sure that "i am choosing the right food so i eat to live and not eat just certain foods because it`s easy and convenient "

Take care and ty for taking the time to stop and read this post and hope ur all having a fab Easter without the Easter eggs :D:D xxx

Last edited:
Hi hun, I'm sure there will be someone along soon who can answer your questions, but I just wanted to say hi and let you know that you're doing really well and mustn't beat yourself up. Keep on sipping at your protein shake (I still have one or sometimes two a day, but I'm a vegetarian and still on pureed at present) and don't worry - Nic is the girl to ask about protein! xx

Hi Roche, Sorry you're struggling at the moment. It might be worth having a look at the article i posted regarding hibernation syndrome. Might help clarify things a bit :)

Protein is something i'm concerned about post op so i've tried to do a bit of research on it.

Hi Roch,

I'm sure you'll get some fuller answers to your questions but I think the main reason we need to get enough protein is because if we don't put it in our bodies will take it from the muscles. You end up loosing muscle rather than fat and will feel very weak...also might end up more wobbly.

Hope that helps a bit x

Roch
I am feeling similar to you and I know I am not really taking in the protien. At the moment I am having one slimfast per day but all I cam manage is a little bowl of soup for dinner and I have a couple of small yogurts throughout the day. I am unable to get around much at the moment as I have gout in both feet and it is very painful to walk. I went to the doctors today and he put me on stronger pain killers but more meds in liquid form (YUKK)
My weight is still coming down, I have lost 6lb this week.
I am going to try some pureed chicken in gravy and mashed potato tonight to see how it goes.
I hope you find your way round this.

It never ceases to amaze me how each hospital varies in it's eating advice post op! I know when i have mine i won't be thinking of chicken n mash for at least 4 weeks probably more like 8 tho.....

Roche as someone said we need the protein so that our body doesn't go for the muscle to burn rather than the fat, but i know you know that....

From what i hear protein n fluids are the most important thing for any of us, the more we can get in the better. Fluids especially in the early days Bryan, more than food i think...

Keep the faith Roche, you'll get your balance right and am sure your head will soon start adding up protein intake as a matter of habit real soon xxx

Hi Roch.

I aim for 100g of protein every day. I get this through protein shakes, eggs, cottage cheese, cheese, fish, chicken, red meat, milk, yoghurts and nuts.

If i didnt get my 100g in on a regular basis I would notice i didnt lose as much that week. Now i am trying to maintain I still aim for 100g a day.

The way I did it was to make sure protein was the main focus of any meal. I would often and still do, just eat protein for a meal so 2 chicken breasts instead of 1 and veg.....

Protein is so important because it aids in post op recovery, it builds muscle, breaks down fats and makes you feel generally alot healthier...

Keep at it Roche. give me a shout on FB if you would like some protein recipes as ive put a few together over the last 11 months..

Mark x

I really struggle with protein. I rarely get more than 50-60 grams per day as I am allergic to fish and most dairy. But I have lost 5 stone in 4 months. I am going to try and increase my protein in the form of protein shots but they taste awful to me and make me feel a bit ill.

Good questions Roch.

I am 10 weeks post op and from day one I have kept a food diary to keep track of my protein intake and also my calories. I dont worry about the calories as much as I do the protein. It took me several weeks to get to the 60g grams of protein a day and most days now I do get the required amount in.

I cant say that I have noticed it affects the weight loss, I hadnt really thought about it but it certainly affects my energy levels. If I get my 60 grams or more protein in I feel really good and lively the following day, if I dont get it in I feel very tired and lifeless.

I dont always have the protein shakes as I find it easier (and more fun) to get protein from shepherds pie, cottage cheese, fish and yogurts mainly. My eating may seem to weird to others as quite often I eat a slice of corn beef for breakfast and a small pot of cottage cheese for lunch just to get a head start on the protein.

As for sipping on the drinks during the day, I remember when I was on lighterlife I was told that the protein drinks had to be consumed within 15 mins of mixing as the vitamins etc start to break down. I am not sure if that is true or it the same applies to your protein drinks but it might be worth mixing smaller amounts more often.

I hope this helps. I really do recommend the food diary so you can keep track of how much protein you actually have

As Mark said! Cant help any more - but I always eat protein first and if not only protein at some meals. I eat things like cottage cheese, humous, cheese, eggs, fish, meat, yoghurt, milk, protein shakes, fish sticks, pulses, beans and nuts - just not all at once! Haha x

Back