• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How long before you were behind the wheel

Lippyloirston

Following surgery?

I know it's only been a week since my bypass, but I would appreciate a general idea. How long did it take you and what type of surgery you had?

My surgeon and all the literature mentions 6 weeks, 'around', 'up to', 'approximately'.

So what happened in the real world? Many thanks :)

I know after banding we can drive after about 6 days..but after all surgery check your insurance as it does not usually allow you to drive first 5/6 days

I miss driving and its only been a week for me

Good Luck xx

I was told when I could drive post band from the surgeon but it is the insurance company that have the final say otherwise you won't be covered!

I drove on the 3rd after my band surgery

I was told as long as I could do an emergency stop - (same as when I had a caeserean), so drove just after 2 weeks post bypass

My insurance company said when your surgeon said you can. My surgeon says when you can do an emergency stop.

For me, day 3 on the band, I drove home. On the bypass it was a week later. I found as I wasn't terribly well following my bypass I was more likely to have tiredness issues with a long drive or on the motorway than not being able to stop.

If you go shopping.... don't lift your bags though!

I was cleared by gp at 5 days post op

ALWAYS...Check you Insurance cover honestly..its best to be safe than sorry :)

Thanks for all the replies. Will definitely seek medical advise (and contact my insurance company) before driving again. I just feel so much so an improvement every day, I can't imagine not driving for 6 weeks. Plus, I can't get back to work until I'm driving again, and lord I'm so bored......... ;)

Back