• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How long till the iron kicks in??

Andrea73

I have been feeling knackered since I had my op last October even after losing over 6 stone!! I had been to my doc several times and had bloods done even thyroid but everything was normal. I was there again on Friday and just by chance I asked if I should be taking an iron supplement and he said no. I asked him to check through the letters from Mr Ammori and he did so and was then very apologetic and said I should have been prescribed them. Anyway I am now on 200mg twice a day and I was wondering how long it will take before they kick in and hopefully give me energy!! Its funny cos when I meet everyone they comment on how much weight I've lost but then say how tired I look.

Any advice and comments would be appreciated.

I've been on iron since a week after the op, so don't really know how long they will take to start working, sorry!
Hope you feel better soon!

When i originally was put on iron my dr worked out how much i needed to get to normal levels and worked out 2 tablets a day would take 16 days to get to normal levels and i was really low but by 16-18 days felt my normal self. So it depends on how low you are, are they going to re-check your bloods to see if its working for you i know for my self i can produce iron but can not store it so i also have to have b12 injections, hope your feeling brighter soon x

I was put on Iron Tablets soon after op. My GP repeated blood test after I'd been on them 14 days, so I'm thinking you should movico a difference by then.

Thanks for the replies guys. The doc didn't carry out bloods so not sure of my levels. I'm hoping in a couple of weeks I'll be bouncing with energy :)

Ive been on Iron tablets since the day of my op but wasnt told that you need at least 3hrs break from your calcium tablet to your iron tablet or they dont work.

Ooo thanks for that info...I was never told that either! and have been taking them all together:eek:

Back