• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How many Calories?

lottie:)

Hi ladies and Gents :)

Out of interest how many calories a day do you consume and what op is that with ?

Thanks x

hi lottie I have approx 1000 that's with DS but don't worry if I have more some days xxx they told me not to worry about calories just 100 protein per day and that's not always easy :)

Between 600 - 1000 a day, on average 800. I had a bypass. I try to eat a varied diet, protein first, veg, fruit and some carbs after. I find I usually can't manage to eat more than a 1000 in a day. I try not to worry to much about how many I do have as long as I'm eating small healthy meals and losing weight. I had the bypass. I think everyone is different, especially with different op's and some people don't lose if they eat under a certain amount or if over a certain amount so if you do count it can just be a trial and error to find the right amount for you to lose and get good nutrition :) x

I've had a bypass and I average around 800 - 850 a day. I'm the same as Shelley. My diet is as healthy as possible with protein first, then fruit/veg then if I have any room carbs. I try to avoid bread, rice and pasta, as I still can't tolerate them very well, so most of my carbs come from potato and veg :)

Out of interest how many calories a day do you consume and what op is that with ?

Thanks x

Glad you asked this question Lottie. I have been wondering the same for after my op. Thank you. xx

1000-1200 and I am sleeved. Immediately post op i was about 400, took some time to get it up.

it definitely takes time to build up and even then somedays can still hardly eat anything and others think ive eaten a lot :)

Thanks x

I'm three months post bypass and am now on around 800-1000 cals a day. I've been lazy the last week but am back on getting proper food back in me. I eat little and often and find this works much better for me. I drink about 800mls a day of milk, because I can't tolerate the calcium tablets and total 2lt drink a day. Weight Watchers fromage frais ha been my best friend :)

I am now 5 months post band op. My provider actually said to me that I should be looking at a max of around 1000 cals a day, (not offsetting any cals gained back from exercise either) however, I have found that I actually have optimum weight loss when Im consuming around 1100 cals, but that is also with a max 70g carbs and minimum 80g protein (normally over 100g protein)

I'm always 1000 with 700 burnt off at the gym. I still have the odd chocolate binge though! I have a band :)

Hi Top Kat. Please could you give an idea how you manage to eat 100g of protein a day? I really struggle as can't eat chicken as it gets stuck and I would love some ideas of what I could eat to achieve that amount.
Thanks
Crazy Lady

Hi Top Kat. Please could you give an idea how you manage to eat 100g of protein a day? I really struggle as can't eat chicken as it gets stuck and I would love some ideas of what I could eat to achieve that amount.
Thanks
Crazy Lady

Hi Crazy Lady

Chicken is my main source of protein, cut up and chewed although I've not yet encountered problems eating it.

However, I also get protein from fish - I eat a lot of king prawns with a sweet chilli dip, a can of drained tuna - again often with sweet chilli sauce this gives over 30g of protein on its own. I also "snack" on slices of cooked ham (just the asda cheap brand) 13cals a slice but again, source of protein. I have one maybe 2 smaller yoghurts a day - another source of protein too :) I also have white fish such as bass, bream or cod/haddock with salad once or twice a week too :)

I also limit my cals, but if I have plenty left and feeling slightly hungry and am short on protein I will make a coffee with skimmed milk - low cals, low fat but another good source of protein - you could add skimmed milk powder to a shake or whatever if you were struggling.

Or check out protein water - I dont like it and its too high in cals for me but it has a fair whack of protein (around 30g I think)

I often have a john west tuna light lunch - 250 cals for lunch but a good dose of protein too :)

Hi

As with the others

I used to have around 800 a day and that's with a Bypass.

I don't bother counting any more now though, now that I am in maintenance mode.

Paul

Thanks top Kat. I don't know if you have read my post under the banders section 'been through hell'? It explains the problems I have been having with eating and my band. I am going to buy some prawns and definitely some chilli sauce tomorrow ;). I will also try some tuna. Still a bit scared of the chicken after what I have been through.
I hope you don't mind if I ask you some more questions? Like how often do you eat? I work 12 hour shifts - either days or nights. I have a protein shake for breakfast as am usually out of the house by 5.30 either a.m. or p.m. And won't eat that early. Then if I get busy, I'm out and about and work in a very male dominated area, I don't always get to eat regularly and having been overweight I am not keen to eat in front of people as feel they judge me by what I eat. Old habits and all that!!
The dietician at my provider says to eat regular protein but I'm also scared of getting food stuck when I'm with people. Only 2 people apart from the Drs know I have a band so it would be difficult to explain. Also the daily calorie intake has never been mentioned.
So 6 months post op and I have lost 18kgs but haven't really got to grips with the eating like you and others on here seem to have done.
Any further tips from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Also I'm off to Egypt at the weekend for a 2 week all inclusive holiday so a little concerned about what to eat whilst I am away.
Apologies for so many questions.
Crazy Lady x

I am going to buy some prawns and definitely some chilli sauce tomorrow ;).
Make sure that you chew the prawns well, you could well find them harder than chicken ( they are one of the things that do remind me I have a band if I eat them too quickly) but they are a great source of the protein, as is tuna. Also, as the tuna is little flakes it can be easier. Just eat really slowly (try the 30 second chew, 30 second wait as that slightly longer wait gives it chance to go down)

I hope you don't mind if I ask you some more questions? Like how often do you eat?

Of course not. I don't do breakfast as Im just not hungry in the mornings. So I tend to have a yoghurt sometimes topped with a bit of cereal at around 12pm. I then have "lunch" mid afternoon when I get home, this will be tuna, or a light lunch tuna, or some salad or just slices of ham. Or ryvita with quark. Then I eat dinner around 6-730pm. I have a hot drink, normally options hot chocolate as my sweet treat in the evenings, although I do find the evenings the hardest as it was my "picking and grazing" time and some habits are hard to break. As such, I always have ham and cooked chicken breast in the fridge to have if I do.

Another thing I sometimes have is just cucumber sticks dipped into quark.

I don't really eat much at work either, and its normally the yoghurt and cereal, but I do have at least 2 litres of NAS/water per day.

They recommend protein as not only does it keep you fuller for longer, but it also helps to increase the metabolism which helps in weight loss too. The thing with a lot of it in food form is to chew it really well, I buy lots of asda smart price frozen chicken breasts, they are juicy if cooked covered and slowly. If Im in a rush and need something to snack on the 100g packs of Bernard matthews turkey breast (different flavours too) is also a good thing to have around. Or I also keep some cereal at work and will have special K although I've just recently discovered that a no added sugar muesli has less fat, cals and carbs than that in it lol

I have found that I have to watch those calories, because with limited restriction I can eat what I want and indeed in what quantity I want, but I don't want to rush my fills, and while Im able to continue to lose I know that as I am going at the moment, Im making choices which will help me in the longer term. I log all of my food that I eat, it helps to keep me on track and also to see the patterns that emerge in terms of how hungry I may get or what fills me up, or the weeks when the losses slow down. I know if I didn't monitor and limit and work to the max cals, protein and carbs, that I would eat as much as I did before and that I wouldn't be getting the results I am or in the way that I am.

As for egypt - am sure that you will get the chance to eat salads etc and meat, just take it easy and give yourself the time to slowly eat. if you find that you get to a point where its difficult always ease back and go to liquids or mush again while things settle down :)

Thanks again Top-Kat. I do find your posts and knowledge/experience to be inspirational.
Now have a little shopping list for after work today.
I have a telephone consult with the dietician booked for tomorrow also so will make a list of things to ask re-suggested calorie intake etc
Do you manage to eat eggs or omelettes at all?
Crazy Lady

Yes I do but I limit to 2 a week. I normally have them in omelette form tho as it leaves me fuller for longer. Sometimes I do have poached although when I went onto mash I had a scrambled egg (not my favourite) but it found it not the easiest to digest. It didn't get stuck, but it wasn't the most comfortable thing to eat.

With omelette, it has more "substance" so helps with feeling fuller - I always have ham and chicken breasts in mine for extra protein - but its one of those things that for some cannot be eaten - so much is trial and error in the things that you can and cannot eat, and with variations being not just a yes or no, but sometimes you can and sometimes you can't it can be quite difficult knowing how you're going to feel :)

Back