• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How much down time needed?

Lola K

:flirt2:I am self employed and don't get paid if I don't go to work - assuming everything goes to plan with the bypass surgery, would you say 2 weeks would be enough time to have off? - just to add, that I sit in front of a computer all day, and do not have to move at all!

My hospital said 4 weeks but I was raring to go after three. I also know a girl who is a hairdresser who was back to work in 2 weeks and on her feet. Basically its horses for courses - think the journey will tire you out more than anything, if you have to travel on public transport.

:flirt2:I am self employed and don't get paid if I don't go to work - assuming everything goes to plan with the bypass surgery, would you say 2 weeks would be enough time to have off? - just to add, that I sit in front of a computer all day, and do not have to move at all!

Are you having laproscopic or open surgery and are you private or NHS ?

I'ld say that if you are having a key hole procedure then budget for 2 weeks off at the very least. Your body will tell you whether you are ready or not. If possible, consider going back to work on reduced hours to start with. I too am self employed but am able to work from home every now and again. If there is time yet until your surgery, then maybe get some money saved up to cover an additional 2 weeks in case you need this extra time to recuperate. You will need more time off for an open procedure. Six weeks is often recommended.

PS, I had keyhole surgery and went back to work after 2 weeks. I found I was wiped out early afternoon and so arranged to do most of my work from home over the next 3 weeks. By the time I went back, I was well acquainted with my pouch and had started of soft solids.

it will be keyhole surgery - and private (would private vs NHS be different??)
I don't have to travel on public transport - and will be able to finish early afternoons most days - so I am just hoping 2 weeks will do the trick! ;-)

Thanks guys xxx

I wasn't 100% after 2 weeks off, so the doctor signed me off for one more week. And even then, when I was back at work I felt like a truck had hit me and felt like I did too much too soon. :)

Hi hun - I had a week off and went back to work after a week. I only did 3 hours for 1st and second day and 3rd, 4th and 5th I did 4, and 5 hours. I was back to full time for the second week. x

hi i have been signed off for 6 weeks initially but still dont feel ready to return so going to ask gp for another couple of weeks and see what he says. I did have open though.

good luck

I was the same as Hayley, had 2 weeks and didn't feel 100% so had a third

Laproscopic is a faster recovery time to open, i'm not sure why or if there are any stats to support it, but it seems that generally private paitents seem to recover and get back to life a lot quicker than NHS, i may be wrong, but it just seems that way, some people seem to take up to 10 weeks off, the loss of earning taking 10 weeks off following an op would bankrupt me ;)

i had 7 days off after leaving hospital, am a taxi driver so sat on me behind, just driving, no heavy lifting or wheelchairs for 3 months, but bar that was ok after the 7 days, losing the weight and going to the gym pre-op worked wonders for me, oh btw had open surgery

hi i am self employed, i was back working at home after 5 days i found as long as i didnt stretch i was ok physically & not in pain .
i was a bit tired in the afternoons but i managed ok then about week 3 i got about 3 days of being exausted and slept most of the day.

by week 5 i felt fine working ok not tired no pain but then my kids got sick and me and my husband were up most nights for a week and then i crashed i got v depressed and shut my self off.

for me i think it was my bodys way of saying slow down you have done too much physically and emotionally in the past 6 weeks so i downed sewing machine and i took a week off about wk 6 went to the gp got some pills and talked out load(important for my well being as i withdraw if im down)

i would say if you are going to go back to work early like me watch yourself and take as much rest as you can, as i found the emotional strain much harder than the physical pain.

ps. i had sinisitus the week prior to my op taking the last antibiotic the day of my op, big mistake i woke up with full on sinisitus in agony with my head and nose hurting so bad and no tummy pain to speak of.

if i was to do it again i would have postponed my op a week to recover it was that painfull.

Back